Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 26th, 2004, 12:06 PM
billie

Default Amsterdam is South America next November

Hi, Any one have any comments on the Amsterdam and a voyage on her from Buenes Aries to Valparaso Chile. I've heard some bad comments about the food??? Anything else I should know before booking? Thanks, Billie
Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Amsterdam is South America next November

billie: we just completed a SA cruise on the Amsterdam in January. It was terrific! GO! I will admit that the dining room fare was not to my liking for the first time in 8 HAL cruises, but I went on the cruise to see unique places and not for a perfect culinary experience---it might have just been me and my changing taste in foods. The food was good, just not appealing choices for me.

This was the best cruise we have ever taken and if you can wait to book one that includes Antarctica, it is defintitely worth the wait! Even without Antarctica, it is still a wornderful experience. Go and enjoy, and one other recommendation, get travel medical insurance for this cruise-it is a long one and if you need to be treated ashore or flown home, or even treated on ship, it is brutally expensive. I had to visit the infirmary twice on our cruise for the first time ever, and my travel insurance covered all of the costs, almost $600 worth! Also, dress in layers, you will be encountering 2 distinctly different seasons during the cruise-that was the biggest packing challenge. Hope this helps. Bill
Old February 29th, 2004, 11:43 AM
billie

Default Re: Re: Amsterdam is South America next November

Hi Bill, Thanks for responding to my questions. I think I will take your advise and go for the adventure not the food. The trip I'm looking at is in mid November ............should the weather be similar to what you experienced? I'm thinking most likely cooler. Again, thanks for your input. Billie
Old September 15th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Bernadette

Default Re: Amsterdam is South America next November

Hi Billie. We are going on the 11/11/04 cruise leaving from Rio. Is this the one you will be on? Bernadette