Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 12th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Norwegian Fjords

Anyone taken a Norwegian Fjords cruise on HAL?
Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2004, 02:57 PM
paljoeysmom

Default Re: Norwegian Fjords

Hi,

I have been to the Norweign Fjords, but not on HAL. It was on NCL. It is the best and I have cruised all over. We went to Oslo, Bergen and Geiranger. The fjords are about 100 times better than Alaska. We went in July, and had perfect weather. There were all kinds of little boats sailing around our cruise ship. It was fabulous. We also went to Sweden, France, and Amersterdam. I cannot say enough good things about Norway. It is a spectacular country. Go and have fun. I love HAL too. In fact I leave in 7 weeks for a cruise aboard the Zuiderdam. I have also been on the Zaandam. Other cruise lines include Carnival, Celebrity, Princess, HAL, RCCL, NCL.
Old March 14th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

We booked the Westerdam in June for the Norwegian Fjords and the North Cape.

Gitte

12 days Constellation Ultimate Caribbean
Old March 15th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Norwegian Fjords

were on there with you also on the 12 of june , can not wait plus no long flight this time as i live in the uk .but love that hal feelling can not get enough of those dam ships.
Old March 17th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Passenger

I am looking at the possibility of going on this one, too. Great itinerary! Coming from the US could prove tricky because the cruise departs from Harich and the return is from Copenhagen. Any suggestions? Is there a fairly inexpensive way to get to London from Copenhagen?

Also, I am a single 51 year old male, traveling solo. I know this is not as "active" as Carnival, but I wonder if there would at least be people in their 30 to 50s. Anyone out there?

Not too important actually, I am just excited about going to the Arctic Circle for the start of summer.
Old March 17th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Passenger

i am in my forty's and think hall is great. as don't want that always activity like carnival .like to feel like a guest not like a passenger. but lots still going on through out the day to keep you active .and obviously the shore trips in port lots of choice but a little pricey is norway so be warned.
also regarding flights if coming through the uk both ways you could try airline called easyjet web-sight is easy jet .com. they fly daily from copenhagen to london so you could come back on the day cruise ended or have a couple days in copenhagen your choice. they are no frills airline but have good reputation and fly all over europe and our a lot cheaper than the others , would think roughly $90 us for that flight to uk.
hope this helps and good luck with your research.

i can not wait til that next dam ship.

statendam alaska 2003
ryndam mexico 2003
statendam hawaii 2004
westerdam north cape 2004
Old March 21st, 2004, 08:09 AM
Gerald Tanner

Default Re: Re: Re: Norwegian Fjords

My wife (Sheena) and I (Gerry) are on this cruise. We arrive Heathrow 10:35 am on the 11th June and will be spending the night in Harwich (Hotel Continental).We are looking for other Hal guests to share a cab from the airport to Harwich on Fri the 11th. Anyone interested?There is a similar thread on Cruise Critics Roll Call Board if your interested! Gerry
Old March 23rd, 2004, 03:17 PM
Passenger

Ok, I have booked this cruise, June 12 on the ms Westerdam! Bought my own cabin.

Does anyone have information regarding shore excursions NOT through HAL? They are too expensive on HAL. Although there was one that interested me where they drop us off and we catch up with the ship at another port later in the day, an exciting train excursion, that one is worth paying extra.

Anyone else?

Spread the word about this cruise, I think it is one very special trip, and hopefully we have lots of adventurous people onboard, at least more than the usual HAL passenger profiles.
Old March 25th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Gerald Tanner

Bruce, Check out www.Cruisecritic.com Hal roll call board there are a number of HAL cruiserst here on the Fjords cruise June 12.We are also interested in the Train trip. It is cheaper out of Flam and you travel both ways and cruise the fjord. Gerry
Old April 10th, 2004, 06:13 PM
gopack

Default Re: Re: Re: Norwegian Fjords

I hope you all have a wonderful cruise! My husband and I are looking at a Noway Fjords cruise in June of 2005. We would love to read your reviews of the trip and the ship when you all get back.

Thanks -

Ginny
Old April 12th, 2004, 05:01 PM
rieker

You can fly Ryanair or Easyjet from Copenhagen to London for about $30-35 usd if you make reservations ahead of time.

Beware, their baggage limits are draconian for cruisers. Max 33lbs per checked bag, 12 lbs per carry-on, and they check. $3.50/lb for overweight.

Ryanair actually departs from a small airport across the big bridge in Sweden.
Old April 12th, 2004, 05:02 PM
rieker

Oh yeah,
the low cost airlines use Stanstead airport north of London. You have to pony up some $$ for a bus ride to Heathrow or Gatwick.