Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 14th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to cruiseprincess0708 Send a message via MSN to cruiseprincess0708
Default were does the ship leave from in seattle?

We are going on the O'dam in June to alaska. Does anyone know what he adress is for the holland america termial in seattle? We want to get a hotel by the terminal. Any help would be great!
Thanks
Jenna
Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2004, 01:30 AM
Admiral

Default Re: were does the ship leave from in seattle?

Terminal 30. I wouldn't base my selection of hotel based on the cruise dock. Any downtown Seattle hotel will be an easy cab ride away. The Edgewater is a costly hotel on the water- made famous by the Beatles.
Old March 15th, 2004, 02:48 AM
Admiral

A agree about hotels from downtown and getting to pier 30. Just take a cab from any of the major hotels. Last year we got the Crown Plaza for about $60 using Priceline. I just booked a room at the Airport doubletree for June 27th and they accepted my three star $40 bid. Doubletrees are usually quite nice and you can't beat the price.
Old March 15th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Passenger

Terminal 30 is the new cruise ship terminal on the southern fringes of Elliott Bay. It was built/remodeled in a predominately industrial and wharehouse area. There are almost no hotels in the immediate vicinity and no "touristy" things to do there. It is about a 5-10 minute cab ride from downtown hotels which are in the heart of the "touristy" things to do. Don't miss the Pike Place Market, the Aquarium, the Monorail ride to Seattle Center, the Pacific Science Center and the Space Needle. It's a beautiful town with lots to do but the cruise ship terminal area has not yet been developed to cater to the tourists. The airport is about 20 miles south of the terminal and that area caters primarily to the folks to need a place to lay their head during a stopover. There are restaurants, etc. but no "touristy" things to do there.

If you are just looking for a place to "lay your weary head" after a chain restaurant meal before heading to the ship in the morning you can probably get a reasonable deal for a room there. If you are planning a day or two to "do Seattle" then you want to be downtown. JMHO

Volendam Panama Canal Repo
Statendam to Hawaii 2004
Old March 16th, 2004, 01:19 PM
brousw1a

We are sailing on the Oosterdam from Seattle on May 29. HAL ships dock at Terminal 30. Any downtown hotel is a short (< 3 mile) cab ride to the port. We used Priceline to get rooms at the Sheraton for $75 on the 28th.
Old March 16th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: were does the ship leave from in seattle?

We will be on the same ship. I am hosting a cruise critic board at http://www.cruisecritic.com. You will be number 3 if you join us. let me now if you have a problem. Feel free to contact me directly.
Old March 17th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Zoey

We have stayed at the Edgewater and don't think it is pricey. It is on the water next to pier 66, across the street from a Marriott (1 year old) and in the heart of Pike Place Mkt., Edgewater is a 5 min., walk to The Spaghetti Factory and that is a fun inexpensive restaurant. Along the water are fish and chip reastaurants and expensive seafood rest., also. Get a ice cream in a fresh made waffle cone. Eat at Ivar's , everyone who lives here does it is inexpensive at the sidewalk cafe or go into the restaurant and you can get almost any sea food dish you so desire. See the ferry boats they leave often and if you have time take a ride on one. Walk up a long flight of stairs to Pike Place Market buy a donut, fresh flowers a cup of Gooood coffee watch the fish fly at the brass pig statue. It is all within a short walk. I do it and often and I am handicapped. You will love it here we do and we were not born here. There are mountains with snow on them and salt water to float on all within a one half hour drive. We live in the foothills of the mountains and just love it. Now I hear a question on some lips. So why did you stay at the Edgewater? Well at that time the HAL line was leaving right next door and we watched the ship come in. We sat in the huge lobby drank a latte (well I had 2) watched the sun go down and the ferry lights come on and all the houses lite up across the bay in West Seattle. You may want to come back to Seattle for a vacation many people do over and over again. Don't pass up the trolley ride, and the horse drawn carriage. What the heck you may only come this way once. I hope you come back and often. Take the duck tour in Alaska it was fun. Been to Alaska 14 times 12 of them back to back. Been cruising on Hal for 30 years. Good sailing, have fun enjoy. Best Wishes.
Old March 19th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Passenger

Dear Zoey,

Pricey is like beauty!!! always in the eye of the beholder....

The Edgewater is certainly a nice hotel-and bases its price on the fact that its the only hotel directly on the Puget Sound....

Most folk would probably get more value for the money by either choosing a hotel nearer the downtown like the Marriott or such like.

We invariably get one near the airport after flying in from the East coast-take a cab down to the pier-check luggage and thenwalk around the sights... Pikes Market etc.

However this year we are going back to the Vancouver cruises, as we missed the inland part of our Alaska journey in departing out of Seattle. We just dont care for the 2 days of ocean sailing although I have read other p;osters say that NCL out of Seattle goes via the 'inland' waterway...
Old March 19th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Zoey

iuapram I agree went to Alaska from Seattle on the Amsterdam. Hated it . I love the first and last day out and into Van., So In Sept.we went back to Van., took the Ryndam b/b again. There is a bus that HAL has that leaves the airport and takes us up to ship. I like the ride up there and back. Also the Amsterdam is only one week we don't take one week cruises. I have been there so many times and think the inside passage is beautiful beyond words. Enjoy your cruises we all are so lucky to be able to go. Don't you think so? We are going to Hawaii may 5, 2005. Amsterdam leaves from Seattle and returns to Seattle. We will most likely stay at the Edgewater the night before. I love it and it is easier for my son to get us there the night before than the next morning in the traffic. Happy cruising, enjoy and take lots of pictures.
Old March 20th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: were does the ship leave from in seattle?

Zoey,

We did the same cruise in 2002- and although we loved the Amsterdam- we were very dissapointed in the cruise itself- Too much open sea in and out of Seattle- The last night at Victoria was only 4 hours and barely enough to see much-

Vancouver would be also our chosen port and if we go later this year Ryndam is our preferred ship.

Enjoy your May cruise..

Lu
Old March 25th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Passenger

Hi!
Zoey, we are doing B2B's on the Ryndam Sept. 3rd & the 10th. Wondering if there is something special to do on the turn-around day in Seward and/or anything 'not to miss' on our first Alaska cruise. How was the weather for you last Sept.?
Also wondering if Pier 30 is anywhere near the site where they put ships into drydock. Is the drydock repair site far close to where the ships depart?
Thanking you in advance,
rocks
Old March 28th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Zoey

Dear Rocks. On the turn around day my husband does the laundry. I can't reach into the dryers - too high. I am a deck sitter. Doesn't matter if rain,sun,blowing or a stormy night. I am there. Oh yea while I am thnking of it the lap robes (wool plaid throws are usually damp - wet. If it has been raining and the deck chair is wet go into the ladies or mens room and get a wash cloth to dry the wood off. They use them for towels in the restrooms at least they always have. then take them back. They have pads for the deck chairs and they are always damp/wet because they pick them up in the early evening and stack them i n a closet aft end. The wool throwxsare there in the aft end stacked under the upper deck in a sheltered area during the day and put away at night. They put the throws on tables along the deck but sometimes the people have all of them. You most likelywill use them. The weather in Sept., well I love the cold rough seas and we try to get a cruise b/b the last two we can get as late as we can get them in the year. So that being said here goes the BIG maby. We have had very calm seas and some 30foot seas going up higher. Winds 60 and higher. This is usually coming out of Seward cause you go into the Bering sea. Then it has been like a pond. Never got sea sick and have been in a hurricane in the Atlantic. As I said we love rough seas. A hint if it does get rough take those heels off walk like a drunken sailor and HANG on. We have only had some bad weather two or so and that is for 14 years. Hay it is a ocean if you want it to be calm go to a hotel as my dad tol d me 70 years ago. ake layers it can be really warm and then the clouds gather rain comes and it gets down right cool - 50 degrees then the sun comes out and it goes up to 70. I love the duck tour & the horse drawn trolley. They are cheap and fun the duck tour is in town and goes into the water and comes up to the ships and it was fun. Helicopter no I don't want to. A large number of women wear velvet pants suits and evening gowns. Long sleeve sweater during the day and sweat shirts. Take shoes that are water proof or 2 pair of sneekers so that they have a chance to dry. Sun lotion too. They weater like anyplace else changes. While at the glacier it is cold. Take scarf,and warm water proof jacket and gloves. Layers layers layers. Umbrella and a hooded jacket for walking the towns. My jeans always absorb the water from my shoes so I take lots so I can change often. We have been there when it was in the 80's guess who had sweatshirts??? The shipyard here is right across the bay from the dock. This a working area for large container ships so I can't remember if we could see the ship yard or not. My husband and I will take a ride there I will let you know. I cannot come onto the loading area to wave bye bye to you but if you tell me where and when you will be leaving I will be about a block north and wave bye bye to you. This is a good time to wear your favorite winter dress clothes. I take nothing but velvet and velour it packs wonderful. The scenery is out of this world where I live it is wonderful and even more beautiful Believe me we would live there if we were a few years unger. My husband just said "wanna go?" Oh yea. We are booked on a 3 week one coming up soon so yea I wanna go. Enjoy your self play the games on the ship or do whatever you feel like have fun. Happy sailing.
Old March 28th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Zoey

Hi Rocks: Looked back saw 9/30/04 sailing OK thats a Sat. Assuming you are going on HAL. I have a web site for the weather in Alaska and will send it to you. It is good one. I need to go to e-bay to see if I won the 3 things I bid on. I better win. Talk latter
Old March 28th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Passenger

Rocks,

Seward is a delightful town, although in September they are usually getting ready to put up shop for the winter-

The Marine Center is a great place to visit and you can spend a good morning there.Also there is 'sled riding' at the Iditaride run by the Seavey family- they pull you around on sleds with the same dogs that are entered into the Iditarod. In fact Mitch Seavey won the Iditarod a few weeks back.

We love Seward and on all our trips we generally spend about 3 or 4 days there... You may even have time to take a trip around Resurrection Bay.

Havea safe journey

Lu

Incidentally-isnt the Ryndam leaving and returning to Vancouver? Pier 30 is the departure pier for Seattle cruises!!
Old March 28th, 2004, 09:54 PM
Passenger

Hi!
Thanks for all the info.!
The Ryndam does leave from Vancouver; I just might get the chance to visit Seatlle in a month or two.
Does the ship dock within walking distance of the town of Seward? Just to walk around the town would be fun.
Thanks again for the info.!....rocks
Old March 29th, 2004, 08:21 AM
Passenger

Rocks.

The ships docks right next to the town-a brisk 10 minute walk brings you to the harbor

you might like to bookmark this.

http://cam.majormarine.com/

Gives a great view of the marina and harbor at various points during the day...

You will love Seward..............

Lu
Old April 1st, 2004, 12:27 PM
Passenger

Hi Lu!
I can't find the link in your above post...is there another way to get there?
Thanks again for all the info. everyone!
rocks
Old April 1st, 2004, 08:40 PM
Passenger

Rocks.

http://cam.majormarine.com/

This works-cause I just hada wistful look at it....

Lu
Old April 7th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Beginner

Will be on same cruise!

Actually, we're taking back-to-back cruises, so that will be our 2nd week. Jim (friend going with me) thought this was a "stupid" idea, so here's hoping he'll be proved wrong.

Lovelle
Old April 7th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Beginner

Haven't finished reading all the replies to your question, but just in case no one else suggested it - you can go to www.rpnw.com.

They own the Parking Lot a Terminal 30 and have some rudimentary maps of the area, as well as other info on the terminal.

Lovelle
Old April 8th, 2004, 08:22 AM
cruiseprincess0162

Thanks Ya'll!! Now we can add the finishing touches to our cruise!
Jenna