Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2004, 06:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker
Default HAL Tipping

Hi to all the HALL lol
I'm confused?
is this tipping policy for the entire staff? Is just for the room stewards? What do the dining room waiters get.? They should have a break down of how much to give. I liked the old way of giving what they recommend, and maybe more it the service is extra special.
It is a good idea, but I can see why the confusion is going on.
Maybe by the time we cruise this will be ironed out. sorry about the pun. :>}
Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2004, 11:46 AM
j redgate

Default Re: HAL Tipping

Really simple.
"Tipping not required" means tipping not expected. The reason we cruise HAL always is because the service is so supreme. I must assume the HAL line pays better wages than most.
If you wish to: I suggest 3.00pp per day steward and dining room. At leisure a couple a bucks to the favovite bar guy. Thats it.-J
Old April 3rd, 2004, 12:59 AM
Passenger

The tipping policy is about to change anytime now. HAL are going to do what most of the other cruise lines do and that is put a charge on your account each day per person. and the drinks will also have 15% added to them.

With the "no tipping policy" it really wasn't no tipping at all. If you felt the staff had done a good job, then you gave them an envelope at the end of the cruise. As the staff are superb on HAL, we naturally handed out the envelopes though a lot of cruisers didn't give a thing. A lot of travel agents sold HAL as the no tipping line, but if you have ever travelled on HAL you would know that at the end of each cruise a talk was given by the cruise director explaining the policy and the idea of the envelopes.

With this new policy at least most people will be required to tip though there will be some who will ask to have it removed as we noticed on the cruise we have just been on - Princess - and our table mates had it removed and didn't tip anyone.

Jennie

Until we sail on the Nautica - HongKong to Athens
Old April 3rd, 2004, 02:28 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: HAL Tipping

Hi JRedgate - good advice & yes HAL does pay a little better. However, u neglected to include the dining room 'bus' boy in your recommendations - $1.75 daily each and skip the 'bar guy' unless u are feeling especially generous as 15% is added to your bar tab automatically anyway...happy cruisin'!
Old April 3rd, 2004, 09:27 AM
Frank Black

I just got off the Ryndam. I tipped $3.50 a day for the waiter and room steward. $2.00 for the bus boy. I tipped $10 cash in the Pinnacle Grill. $8.00 cash for a spa treatment for my wife. No head waiter ever came by our table to introduce himself and "troll" for tips like other cruise lines.