Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Passenger

Default Back of the Boat!

I was wondering, our cabin in the rear of the ship. Do you hear a lot of engine noise back in that area?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Back of the Boat!

Depends on what deck you are on and what ship.
We were on the Navigation deck on the Volendam at the back of the ship and heard nothing.
Old March 26th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Passenger

I have been at the back of the ship several times. In fact I request the back. The front of the ship is really noisy sometimes.
Old March 26th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

I jsut returned from the Zuiderdam...had cabin 1113 - inside cabin main deck, almost all the way aft. I noticed no noise from engines, crew, or dining room (above us). It was actually quieter than the midship ocean vuew stateroom that I had on Celebrity since in that room (again on a lower deck), the sound of the waves hitting the side of the ship was rather noisy.
Old March 26th, 2004, 03:10 PM
paljoeysmom

Default Re: Re: Back of the Boat!

Alright PJ,

I am on the Zuiderdam 5/1 sailing. Tell all about your trip please.
Old March 27th, 2004, 06:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

paljoeysmom - I am still working on a pretty detailed report that I will post under cruise reviews. The condensed version - it's a great ship and a great time. The Club HAL for kids was fantastic. Our cruise was over spring break so there was a wide mix of passengers, but it wasn't at all a wild "party boat". I loved walking the promenade deck or just sitting and reading in one of the chairs on that deck. I spent a good amount of time by the aft pool - and there always seemed to be chairs available - didn't see a bunch of "chair hogs". Our cabin was inside, main deck aft. Very quiet and the cabin itself was surprisingly roomy (category K). Food and service was not as good as it was on my Celebrity cruise last year, but it was still nothing to sneeze at. Entertainment in the showroom was top notch. I don't know if "hunky dory", a waiter who worked the Lido for breakfast will still be on the ship on 5/1 - you'll know if he is since he'll be the one who will remember your (and anybody travelling with you) name. He'll also remember the names of every person to go thru his line. Bottom line, it was a great time and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again in a heartbeat.
Old March 27th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Thoth

On the statendam I was in a cabin on the Lower promenade deck in the stern section. I had no problems!
Old April 1st, 2004, 05:35 AM
mg17uk

I had cabin MM836 on the Statendam in Feb - inside, aft and on the lowest pax deck. A notice in the cabin warned me not to be alarmed by noise and vibration of the stern thrusters. Well, they were very noisy and made the entire cabin vibrate. Fortunately it only thrusted when the ship was docking so it was often an early morning alarm call for port days - rather too early (02:30!) at Puntarenas in Costa Rica.
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:48 PM
mialtyco

We just got off the Zuiderdam on the 3rd of April and we had an aft cabin #7131. There was some vibration but nothing that will bother you and you get a much larger verandah deck with no overhang so you can face the sun all day. Once in a while you may find a stray paper that has blown off the lido deck on to your deck but it's well worth it.
Nick
Old April 15th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

just got back from zaandam and we had the very last room in the aft of the ship ! we loved it , minus the door opening and closing to go to the deck ... we barely felt any movements from the ship .. just kind of a sway .. our last cruise we were in the front of the boat bouncing more .. so I would like to be in the back of the boat now that I know the difference .. but really, now much are you in the room ???
Old April 15th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just got back from a Oosterdam cruise, Eastern Carib, and had a cabin at the very back and center. HUUUGGE verandah -- at least 5 times the standard size. We were on the Verandah deck and heard nothing, ever. Great location all the way around.
Enjoy your cruise.
Ben