Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2004, 11:09 PM
NeShea

Default Chankanaab State Park in Mexico/Zuiderdam

Hello fellow cruise fanatics!
My husband and I are sailing on the Zuiderdam/Western in May. One of the ship's excursions is to Chankanaab State Park in Cozumel for $49. We have always done the ship excursions instead of doing our own thing for fear of being 'left behind', but my mom insists that it is better to do your own thing. She once grabbed her own taxi in Cozumel for a $5 trip to Chankanaab and paid the small entry fee to enjoy the park at her leisure. I read somewhere that the Zuiderdam docks at a new port in Cozumel that is further away from the city. Does anyone know how far Chankanaab is from where the Zuiderdam docks? Has anyone ever taken a taxi on their own to Chankanaab and if so, was it easy to catch a taxi back to the ship? Any help or info is appreciated! Any other ideas/suggestions for 'self' excursions? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
NeShea
Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2004, 01:04 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Chankanaab State Park in Mexico/Zuiderdam

A cab to Chankanaab is about $10+++ and admission to the park is $12, snorkle rental $5-6. So it is no bargain going with the ship and worse you are on their schedule. It is no risk going there on your own- plan on a return 2 hours before your ship sails. You won't miss it. Cab line right at the park. I have gone there many times- never on a ship tour. There is only 1 "downtown" dock and 2 farther ones that require cabs to the "city".
Old April 12th, 2004, 11:03 AM
First Mate

We just returned from the Oosterdam which docked at the Punta Langosta pier. There is a pier even closer to Chankanaab but don't know where your ship would dock. Our cab fair was $12. so if you are at the other pier it will be even less. We had no problem getting a cab to the park. Park entrance fee $12.00 per person. We brought our own snorkeling equipment which was good because many people complained that their rental equipment was awful. No problem getting a cab back from the park as they are lined up ready to go just waiting for the whistle signal from the "cab hailer" on the side.
Definitely a trip to do on your own as far cheaper and you can leave when you want. Ride from Punta Langosta took about 20 minutes.
Old April 12th, 2004, 03:51 PM
paljoeysmom

NeShea,

When are you going on the Zuiderdam? If you are on the 5/1 sailing send me a line @ ksiggins@faroudja.com There is a group of us getting together from another board and we would love for you to join us.
Old April 13th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Beginner

NeShea...we also are going on the Z but on the 5/15 sailing...and are also planning to "do-it-yourself" to Chankanaab.. are you sailing 5/15 or 5/1?
Old April 13th, 2004, 03:23 PM
NeShea

Default Re: Re: Chankanaab State Park in Mexico/Zuiderdam

We are sailing 5/29. Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!
Old April 14th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Barbara & Ralph

I previously responded to one of your messages. We are going to the park in Cozumel and have already booked a dolphin swim on line in the park.

Are you planning on swimming with dolphins, too?

See you soon!

Barbara
Old April 15th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Beginner

Are you the McDuffie's going on 5/15? Yes, I think we'll go to Chankanaab on our own also (found out it's easy to get taxi etc.)..haven't booked any excursions or anything yet. Called TA today and doc's are in, but she wants to look over them before we pick them up. Keep ck'g the roll call thread on cc so we all know where & when to meet up.
Old April 16th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Barbara & Ralph

Yes we are on the 5/15 sailing. I will keep checking the roll call!

Barbara