Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 13th, 2004, 07:45 PM
kalinky

Default seasick

My husband and I are taking an Alaskan cruise May 30th on the Statenden. The last cruise we went on you could spit on the dock when I started getting seasick. One of our dinner companions had a patch she put on and was absorbed into the bloodstream however it temporially blinded her and I don't feel very comfortable with this method.
I have been told Draminine is good for sea sickness but would like some other suggestions from other that experienced seasickness. I don't want to spend my time
in the stateroom feeling miserable.
Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2004, 10:15 PM
First Mate

Default Re: seasick

I doubt that youll encounter rough weather on your trip.

I'm a great believer in natural substances - GINGER CAPSULES - check with your Doc. and the Pharmacist - no 'script required.

Old April 14th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'll second the ginger capsules. I am prone to motion sickness, but I took a couple of ginger capsules every morning and had absolutely no problems at all. And we were in what was classified as "rough" seas for a couple of days - 12 to 20 foot swells. The other upside to ginger is that it doesn't cause drowsyness like dramamine and other drugs can.
Old April 14th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Admiral

Bonine - works for me! Start taking it a couple of days ahead and then one every night. Get the 24 hour kind. You can buy it over the counter at the drug store - no side effects and no drowsiness.
Old April 14th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Captain

I have a friend who gets car sick. She tried the accupreasure wrist bands and swore by them. Says it really works.

When we had rough seas last summer in Alaska the crew were all drinking gingerale. So my guess is the ginger tablet suggestions above will work as well.

Bonine put my son to sleep and the box said that it could cause drowsiness. I've heard others (as above) say it doesn't cause drowsiness. Must be determined by ones metabolism.

They also frown on spitting on the dock. ; ^ )
Old April 14th, 2004, 02:25 PM
NeShea

I recommend that you try the patch. I cannot remember the 'medical' name for it, put it goes behind your ear. I already have a perscription for my upcoming cruise! Not everyone experiences the 'blind' side effect that you mentioned, so it would be worth a try for you if you have seasickness that is that severe. I have never tried the wristband that sells in drugstores, but I have heard that it works well. Good luck!!!!!!
Old April 15th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

I took dramamine every day on our last cruise (even when I was not feeling sick) on the ship and I felt wonderful the whole time .. I took it just in case b/c our first cruise I felt it everyday .. the fresh air always helped me too !
Old April 16th, 2004, 07:50 PM
kalinky

Default Re: Re: seasick

Suki, Thanks for your advice on taking Ginger for seasickness.This certainly sounds like something I had in mind and I will certainly try it. You seem to be an experience cruiser so I have one more question for you. There are several packages I can purchase aboard ship for special occasions and since it is our 25th wedding anniversary, I thought about purchasing one as a surprise for my husband. They are quite pricey and I would like to know if you have ever purchased one and if so was it worth the price.
Old April 16th, 2004, 10:29 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: seasick

kalinky - Congrats. on 25 years!

We celebrated that anniversary on board HAL a few years ago - the Renewal of Vows package - it was a lovely evening and, I think, worth the cost. The Captain and Hotel Manager were there - we were a group of only 10 - 5 couples.

That said, you might, for something more personal and less costly, make reservations in the alternative restaurant, mentioning that you're celebrating a special anniversary. After dinner Coffees in the Explorers Lounge is another alternative - have your TA tell HAL Reservations people of the occasion - it's quite amazing how 'very special ' HAL can make special things 'extra special'!

Packages are costly - a little bauble to commerate the occasion might be more appropriate - that's the route I'll take next time. :-) :-) :-)

What's the itinerary - which ship?

Old April 17th, 2004, 07:05 PM
kalinky

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: seasick

We will arrive in Anchorage from Atlanta,Ga. on May 29th . From Anchorsge. we are taking the train to Seward on the 30th. Our ship, the Statendam will leave at 8m that evening. From there, we will cruise College Fjord, Glacier Bay, Sitka, Juneau, Ketchikan ,Inside Passage and will arrive in Vancover on Sunday,June 6th. I did not go through a local travel agent, I researched the net and booked our hotel and flight myself.
I did book the cruise and transfers through a company I have used before and was very well pleased with them. Do you know of any precautions I should be aware of since I
did not book through a local TA?
Old April 18th, 2004, 05:58 PM
First Mate

Kalinky - sounds like you booked on the net - no problem there since you 'know' them - booking with a TA is just more personalized......they will make special requests for you.

If you have your booking number, you can call HAL directly and talk with a reservation agent. - maybe a special song over coffee in the Explorers Lounge after dinner one night.

Great itinerary. I mentioned a 'bauble' ....... Sitka might be a good place to shop for it! :-)

Old April 19th, 2004, 11:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were on the Zaandam a couple of years ago. In each cabin they placed Granny Smith apples. We were told they are a wonderful natural way of easing sea sickness.
Old April 21st, 2004, 09:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: seasick

We had granny smith apples in the room on the Zaandam last month.
We both take a ginger capsule each morning and my wife wears the wrist bands.
Never been sick so far.
Old August 25th, 2004, 11:24 AM
paigedygert

ginger and drammamine. I get sick in the car but cruise all the time. fresh air and look out the window or balcony. lots of botled water. keep the drammamine (the one with meclizine, notthe other one) in your system. Youll be sleepy but its a vaca--I think it adds to the relaxed effect! ! Make sure you have real fresh ginger packed--it works great as a tea in hot water--slice off a little bit and drink that--I have used it when sick on land too it works great.

Hopefully--none of this will be necessary but come prepared:o)
Old August 26th, 2004, 09:02 PM
seawench

I used the wrist bands on my last two cruises [Nov. '03 & Feb. '04] and had no problems with seasickness.

On the 2 cruises I took back in the mid '90s, I got very seasick and took medication the first night - knocked me out!

The wrist bands I wore for the first day or two, then took them off and I was fine.
On the Zuiderdam last November, we ran into horrible weather - gale winds, 16-foot waves. I still didn't get sick!!!
:-)
Old August 27th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Seawench...we were on the Zuiderdam last March...had gale winds and 27 foot seas, but the stabilizers were doing their job...you could only feel a slight rocking, but we never even got quesy.
Old September 9th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Ver

The patch is called Transderm scop and is scopolamine, it takes 4 hrs to be absorbed into your system. It is important not to cut the patch or handle it excessively. You need to wash your hands with soap and water after touching it, as the visual disturbance is caused by the ingredient getting into your eyes by touching them and can dilate your pupils for 3 days! It works really well and is used to prevent nausea in patients post surgery.
Old September 16th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

I use LESS-DROWSY Dramamine and never have a problem with drowsiness or seasickness. I take Ginger Root Capsules when I get nauseous on land and have never used it on a ship, but I've been told it works too.

Old September 20th, 2004, 09:52 PM
Carol C

I just got back from cruising on the Zuiderdam and got sick the third day out. We were hitting some rough seas and boy, I started out feeling lightheaded and quickly went to "uugggggghhhh". I took one of the dramamine tabs I brought with me and they just made me worse. I was so dizzy and lightheaded that I couldn't even go to dinner that night. I just stayed in bed. I called the Infirmary and they sent up something else to take and said not to take anymore dramamine because it could really knock you out. So I took their pill. But it didn't help either. I ate an apple, got broth sent up, and drank tea. By the next day, I was better and didn't experience anymore illness. Everyone who was wearing the patch said they felt great. I think on my next cruise, that's the way I'll go.
Old September 21st, 2004, 08:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

We also wore the patch on our cruise. In fact, at one of the shows, there was a joke about what "religion" all these people on the ship were, that were wearing the patches.
They worked great. The only side effect we experienced was dry mouth. Just drank more water, and no problem. Enjoy your cruise!