Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 14th, 2004, 05:00 PM
RDMOREU

Default HELP! Cabins next to Outside Elevator on Vista Class Ship

Hi,

We are booking an SS cabin on the Westerdam for a cruise in the fall. We think that we've read somewhere that the cabins nearest the outside elevator are not preferred because people in the elevator have a clear line of vision onto your balcony. Is this correct? Are the 2nd cabins away from the outside elevator OK? Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2004, 05:52 PM
Beginner

Default Re: HELP! Cabins next to Outside Elevator on Vista Class Sh

Oh dear! Here's hoping that's wrong. We have an S cabin on the Oosterdam for a 2-week back-to-back cruise in Alaska at the end of May.

Will watch to see if anyone replies - and will send a query to another group - as well as my TA - and will let you know if someone else doesn't reply first.

Lovelle

Lovelleis@hotmail.com
Old April 14th, 2004, 06:47 PM
First Mate

We just got off the Oosterdam which has the same layout as the Westerdam and yes, unfortunately, the verandahs to the rooms located at each side of the outdoor elevators are not very private. I even commented to my husband I would not like that location. This does not apply to rooms beyond due to the high partitions in between.
Old April 14th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Beginner

Message 2 of 2 Subject 2 of 50
Subject: Re: Oosterdam - verandahs by elevator
Date: 4/14/2004 5:31 PM Pacific Daylight Time
MsgId: <20040414203127.12950.00035341@mbs-r07.aol.com>

Below is another answer. Darn! All I can say is, I like this writer's attitude and I'm not going to let it bother me since we've been booked for 4 months. - Lovelle

In article <20040414193129.11763.00024075@mbs-m08.aol.com>, lovelleis@aol.com (Lovelleis) writes:

>I just saw on another message board that cabins in the SS and S categories on
>the Oosterdam [Westerdam & Zuiderdam] that are near the outside elevators "are not preferred because people in the elevator have a clear line of vision onto your balcony.
>
>Is this correct? Are the 2nd cabins away from the outside elevator OK? Thanks
>for your help."
>

I was on the Zuiderdam and found that to be true. After reading it on this board, one day when I was in the exterior elevators I looked to see what I could see, and anyone with the cabins right there has no privacy on their verandahs. Of course, I'm not sure how many people in the elevators are looking at the verandahs <g> rather than the ocean or the door!

Sue - DivaofDVC akaWDW1972
DVC '97 OKW, BCV, Vero & Hilton Head
Next Trips May - HAL's Zuiderdam (Western Carib)
June - Old Key West w/Dad
July - Saratoga Springs
Sep - Disney Wonder & VWL
Old April 15th, 2004, 10:37 AM
j redgate

I advise you to shop more thourougly when you choose a TA. Or do more (time permitting) homework. It's April and I have already selected my cabin for December.
Old April 15th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Talliho

Was on Zuiderdam in SS, one or two cabins away from the outside elevator (not right next to it), and didn't feel any lack of privacy. In fact, we enjoyed watching the elevator, especially at night when the colors change as it goes up and down. I don't know if I'd want to be RIGHT next to it, but I really liked this location. Midship, and since I also enjoyed taking the outside elevator, it was nice to be close to it.
Old April 24th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: HELP! Cabins next to Outside Elevator on Vista Clas

I did shop thoroughly (with the time I had) and am sure we'll be happy with our cabin.

If it was a big problem, my TA would hear about it! A lot of things are simple preference and a lot are attitude.

Lovelle
Old April 25th, 2004, 10:01 AM
L&E

Just got off the Zuiderdam yesterday. We love a balcony but also like our privacy. After seeing the view from the glass elevators we would never take a cabin beside them. We would take the BC balcony over any catagory beside these elevators.