Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 20th, 2004, 02:06 PM
mtnhigh

Default Noordam - Baltic capitals excursions

My wife and I just booked a 10 day Gems of the Baltic cruise on the HAL Noordam leaving Copenhagen on July 22. We are in our early 40's and will be celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary without kids!!!. I was hoping to benefit from the experience of others that have taken excursions in Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm, Visby and Berlin. I am particularly interested in understanding any benefits of taking a HAL vs. independent excursion for St. Petersburg. I realize that you need a Russian visa in order to take an independent excursion in St. Petersburg. Please share your experiences in terms of what you found to be the best experience, value, etc. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2004, 03:58 PM
CAROL ANN WESTBROOK

Default Re: Noordam - Baltic capitals excursions

Hi!
We used the HAL shore excursions when we sailed on the Rotterdam's 19-day Baltic cruise in 2000. The offerings in St. Petersburg were especially good and we felt they were well worth the money....plus no hassel.
In many of these ports, however, we just hired a taxi and went on our own or with another couple.

Happy sailing,

Carol Ann
Old April 20th, 2004, 04:26 PM
CAROL ANN WESTBROOK

Hi!
We used the HAL shore excursions when we sailed on the Rotterdam's 19-day Baltic cruise in 2000. The offerings in St. Petersburg were especially good and we felt they were well worth the money....plus no hassel.
In many of these ports, however, we just hired a taxi and went on our own or with another couple.

Happy sailing,

Carol Ann
Old April 20th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Passenger

When we did the Baltic in 1999 we used the ships excursions in St. Petersburg and also Warrumunde - going to Berlin. The rest of the ports, the ships docks close to the city and we did our own thing.

That was before I discovered these Boards. I have read about Red October in St. Petersburg and they are supposed to be an excellent tour guide agency with the plus side of not needing a visa.

There have been many people who have gone on these tours and recommended them. I have read a lot about them on another board. If you would like to email me, I can tell you where to look for advice about them.

Jennie.

Until we sail on the Nautica - HongKong to Athens