Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 21st, 2004, 12:22 PM
First Mate

Default Pinnacle Grill - Can You?

Hi all! Hope someone can answer this for me as I haven't seen it addressed. Are u permitted - encouraged - as u are in the dining room to order more than 1 item from each selection in the Grill - say 2 appetizers for example. I refer this to ordering an entree usually. Many thanks for replying & happy cruisin'! :0)
Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2004, 05:10 PM
Frank Black

Default Re: Pinnacle Grill - Can You?

The answer is yes. I have been to the Pinnacle twice and was on the Ryndam last month. The first time I ate at the Pinnacle Grill I thought the portions were small for side dishes. So this time I asked if I could have more than one. They said absolutely. So I ordered an appetiser, salad, main and two side dishes. Plus one great dessert. They also have a small free suchi plate and chocolates. You can get Cappucino too for free if you ask.
Old May 21st, 2004, 06:54 PM
Admiral

ditto the above
Old May 22nd, 2004, 09:27 AM
Passenger

Location: Brooklyn - Dyker Heights-Bay Ridge - NYC By The VZ Bridge

That's the fun of dining in the Pinnacle Grill. It's in the price already.

We experienced the Grill last year and looking forward to dining in it next week when we are onboard the Rotterdam.

We did order and was encouraged by the staff to order and try the other different items.

Yes, the orders are small and ordering extra items is not to much to eat.

I would only order one entree as a suggestion but try the other items.

Feast and enjoy!

Regards,

Old May 24th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Jake123

You can order all you want, as many appitizers, soup, salads, entre's and dessert that you can eat. Try them all.
Old May 26th, 2004, 04:02 PM
RAE

YES
Old May 30th, 2004, 06:15 PM
First Mate

Great - thanks so much for taking the time to answer. Happy cruisin' all :0)!!
Old June 6th, 2004, 06:25 PM
localady

I have never had a problem ordering as many appetizers etc. as we desired. The only problem we experienced was that we couldn't eat it all I highly recommend the salad and the crab cakes. Also the thai soup and chower have gotten rave reviews. Also you are able to order as many of the side dishes as you wish. One night I ordered just the mushrooms and asparagas, and the waiter decided we "needed" to try a couple of others, which we shared and enjoyed. The problem is not eatting too much so that you have space for dessert Many times I will order a steak, eat just a part and have them wrap the rest for a tasty nibble on my balcony with some french bread the next day....that way I have room for dessert!!!

Enjoy!
Old June 6th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Jkm7

Thanks, Localady.....

Perhaps my appetite is smaller than the others who have posted here, but I cannot imagine anyone being able to order more than one entree. We have had dinner in various Pinnacles/Odyssey on a number of the HAL ships and it is a HUGE meal IMO.

I order a soup, or a salad, the Chef sends his "tastes"; I have my entree and share two sides with DH (spinach and delmonico potatoes) and then chocolate volcano...which I can never finish.

It is way tooooo much food for most people IMO
Old June 10th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Easy Goer

No, you cannot order a second portion of all entrées.

I ate in the Pinnacle on the Oosterdam on June 2. I ordered a whole lobster tail and petit filet mignon. The waiter informed me that since the "surf and turf" entrée consisted of 1/2 lobster tail and petit filet, he would have to charge me "extra" if I received a whole lobster tail. I didn't bother to ask how much, since it wasn't a big deal to me and I never considered forking over any more than the $20 I'd already given them. It was disappointing, though.

On the bright side, the steak was outstanding and cooked perfectly. However, every other dish was just OK -- nothing special. The lobster, while good, was identical to that in the Vista dining room (where all the lobster I wanted was brought with a smile, BTW). Sautéed mushrooms and asparagus in béarnaise sauce were, well.... mushrooms with butter and steamed asparagus with béarnaise sauce on top. They tasted fine but I was expecting more innovative cuisine. The volcano cake was served in the Vista one night under a different name (chocolate truffle cake, perhaps?). However, in the Pinnacle it came on a fancy plate with a candy stick and a cookie.

We were not impressed with the Pinnacle. While nothing was wrong with the service or food, for the most part neither was any better than in the main dining room. The atmosphere was nice, but it felt like we had spent $20 per solely to eat on fancier plates and drink out of Riedel crystal.

Tim
Old June 16th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Lynne G

We just got back from the Northbound Alaska cruise on the Statendam. We ate at the Pinnacle 3 times - once on the first night (which is 1/2 price btw), once on our anniversary (and were treated as royalty by Tamas!) and once on the last night when my husband had the 6-course soummlier dinner. Everything was superb and well worth the extra fee. You felt as if you were dining in an exclusive 5-star restaurant and not in a cafeteria with cloth napkins. The Thai soup was terrific and I highly recommend both the lamb cops and the halibut.
Old June 16th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

When you order at the Pinnacle, can you order lobster or whatever you want any day and any night and every night if you want the same thing every night? Does their menu coincide with the main dining room menu or is it separate and just better quality?

Old June 16th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Captain

Pinnacle has the same menu each evening and every ship has that same menu.

The menu is not anything like the main dining room. It is totally different dining experience and IMO it is very excellent.
Old June 16th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Ford_Racing_Ron

Is there a separate dress code to the grill or does it follow the dress code of the evening?
Old June 17th, 2004, 06:55 AM
Easy Goer

Default Re: Re: Pinnacle Grill - Can You?

The dress code of the evening applies throughout the ship, including the Pinnacle Grill.

Tim
Old June 20th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Maureen Havey

How did you handle the tipping of the staff in the Pinnacle?
Old June 24th, 2004, 03:32 PM
big apple

Default Re: Re: Pinnacle Grill - Can You?

We have always handled tipping in Pinnacle with cash and normally will give a total of $10 with equal to 2 waiters.This assumes both are waiters and of equal status and you will be able to dertermine very easily.
Old July 9th, 2004, 01:56 PM
rfkrd

yes, we ordered several apps as well as two entres each in the Pinnacle. We also could not decide on dessert and ordered all of them,, they were happy to bring them all out. enjoy!!!
Old September 18th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Alfiesmom

It was interesting reading the responses. We dined at the Pinnacle on Zuiderdam last spring. We loved and totally enjoyed the good service and food. We alwyas ordered an appetizer, soup and salad (sometimes 2 apps), but we were told that one could not order 2 entrees. I never would have since I found the portions to be more than enough especially with the side dishes. So I guess it depends on what ship and maybe who the waiter is.

The soups WERE wonderful and the steak was very close to Ruth's Chris. They have the same very high temp broiler that they use and it produces a fantastic steak.

Watch out for the baked Alaska....it will feed 6 people. I felt very guilty about leaving most of it ....my husband, however, ordered it on our next visit.

Well worth the $20 pp. Unfortunately, I hadn't referred to the cruise boards and did not realize that they did not participate in the tipping pool. We won't make that mistake on Ryndam on our Jan canal trip.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 08:51 PM
linda-e

What is on the 6-course soumelier dinner menu????
Old October 8th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Southbound

ALFIESMOM-- According to what's been posted in several threads on another board, including verbatim quotes from HAL, the staff in the Pinnacle does participate in the tipping pool. They get a set amount from the $10p/p,p/d whether or not the pax paying that on their account dines in the Pinnacle.