Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 29th, 2004, 07:29 PM
gilmer

Default cabin grades

I am booking a 22 day cruise but am confused by cabin category pricing. I am trying to book an outside cabin (no veranda) on the oosterdam. Categories range from C through H. A month ago prices decended in that order. That is, C was more expensive than D, then D more expensive than E, etc. But that is not always so since then. Sometimes, for instance, a category F is more expensive than a category C or D. In other words, there appears to be no logic in pricing cabins.

How do I determine which is a better category? How are categories determined? What makes a C different from, say, a D?

If I select a category that has a "guarantee" does this guarantee assure that any replacement category will be an upgrade, not a downgrade?

How does a cruiseline decide how/who/where to upgrade?

This cruise-buying stuff ain't easy!

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Admiral

Default Re: cabin grades

Generally cat c is better than d etc. However on H.A.L. shipp sometimes C&D cabins have the promenade deck just outside so people are walking by your window which can be awkward feeling. That is not a plus to me eventhough you will be on a little higher up level. In that case I would get an E or so as long as it was outside and didn't have the promenade walkway just outside. As sailings get closer prices do change and sometimes the categories do not make any sense at all.

Outside cabins in those category ranges are usually identical in layout. Location is the main difference.

Go to Cruisestateroom . com and study the layout of your ship carefully.
Old May 29th, 2004, 10:30 PM
First Mate

A cabin located on the 'walk around deck', usually Lower Promenade on HAL ships, is always our choice - you have the the largest 'balcony' on the ship.

That people are walking by does not affect you in any way - you can see them but they can't see you. At night, when cabin lights are on, you must draw your drapes but we've never thought of that as a problem. Sound proofing is excellent, the walking will not disturb you.

As for a 'guarantee' - you pay for the lowest priced 'outside' or 'inside' cabin (cheaper for 'inside') - you may end up with just what you paid for but, on the other hand, you may move from the lowest priced outside/inside to the highest priced. It's the luck of the draw.

Obviously a novice cruiser (and we all started out that way!) I'd suggest you visit a reputable travel agency and discuss everything with an agent. By all means do research and get as much information as you can. A good agent will help you understand it.

Old June 3rd, 2004, 01:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

I've noticed when the catagory is sold out the prices shown will be posted at the full brochure rate. If the less expensive F catagory cabins sold out first then the posted rate shows up as higher than the E catagory.
Old June 14th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Thoth

Suki, I agree with you when you say that on the Promenade Deck you get the largest balcony on the ship. The last 2 years I have been placed on the Lower Promenade where I stepped out my door , walked a short distance, and had my choice of views. Of course I had the pleasure of sharing these views with others, which is preferred.
Old June 19th, 2004, 09:47 PM
First Mate

Glad you agree Thoth - it must be remembered tho that on most HAL ships our favorite deck is designated as LOWER PROMENADE - from the brochure deck plans you can see that it's possible to walk all the way around.

Old June 20th, 2004, 01:08 PM
Thoth

You are correct ...make that LOWER PROMENADE Deck !!! There were NO staterooms on the Promenade deck when I sailed on the Maasdam or Statendam. ditto for the Oosterdam this year. Unless of course there's a room somewhere in the galley, but I don't think I want that.
Old May 30th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Beginner

I have booked a H guarantee but my sister booked a E guar I really wonder if I made a mistake. Neither one of us know which category is better. I really would appreciate help on this question

Mike from New Bern nc