Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 30th, 2004, 12:57 AM
Kitty cruiser

Default Will HAL pack a lunch to go for you?

I am on the Statendam. On some of the port tours, I will not be back to the ship for lunch. I would like to ask room service to pack a "sandwich, fruit and cookies" to go for us. Has anyone ever asked this or ...is this not appropriate? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Jkm7

Default Re: Will HAL pack a lunch to go for you?

IMany of the tours include lunch. In the event you wish to bring your own, t is quite easy to pack your own. Lido breakfast always has a tray with various sliced cheese and cold cuts. There are sliced tomatoes and lettuce has been used as garni or as a bed and you could easily help yourself to some leaves. Take a donut, muffin, danish from the fresh baked tray. There is always fruit available. Take along an apple, orange etc
Old June 1st, 2004, 07:07 AM
Admiral

It isn't appropriate to ask room service to pack a lunch for you. Bring your own baggies and pack your own. But I wouldn't take anything requiring refridgeration and you need to be careful of limitations on taking fruits off the ship.
Old June 1st, 2004, 06:18 PM
Passenger

It's one thing to take a muffin or something small from the Lido breakfast with you on an xcursion as a snack if you have something to wrap it in, but isn't taking almost a full course meal and destroying a carefully constructed food display a little much? On the cruises I have been on the xcursions always stop somewhere for you to either have lunch or pick up something to bring back on the bus.
Old June 4th, 2004, 06:40 AM
Hendrikus

L.s.,
you can bring your own baggies and order some sandwiches by roomservice. Worked out very well and are very good sandwiches, with turkey, ham, cheese and tomato/letuce.
Old June 5th, 2004, 04:41 PM
NeShea

It seems to me that you wouldn't be allowed to take food that is not pre-packaged off the ship due to customs regulations. I always pack bottled water and packaged peanut butter crackers for excursions (especially in Mexico!). Good luck! And eat a big breakfast!!!!!!
Old June 5th, 2004, 07:40 PM
rieker3

While these comments are well-meaning, it really seems to me that most have no idea what the real story is here.
How about trying it and reporting when you return.

Frankly, I would be more inclined to make the sandwiches and give them up if I had to. Sorta like the idea that its better to ask forgiveness than permission.
Old June 7th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Dad Son team

In all the ports I have ever gotten off in, I have never been questioned about bringing food OFF the ship. I see nothing wrong with asking room service to pack a lunch. The worse they can say is no, and if they do, just have them send it up and pack it yourself. As for bringing food from the buffet, again, nothing wrong with that. The "carefully constructed" displays are meant to be eaten, whether it be during breakfast or not. I usually bring a couple of pieces of fruit back to my cabin on the first day for my son just in case he gets hungry. Is this wrong? I don't think so. I would rather do this than have room service bring it one piece at a time.