Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2004, 01:22 AM
Svanda

Default Alaska 2005

I am planning on a cruise to Alaska for 2005 and have noticed that Holland hasn't submitted their departure dates, does anyone know (more or less) when do they usually post the dates for the next year.

Another question I have, more of a worry actually, when I first saw the information on cruises I loved the Holland ships (this will be my first cruise), and the mother of a close friend recommends it. I'm in my mid 20's, and I've heard from other people and sites that they do not recommend this ships because the average age group is 50+. I'm not much for the party scene, but was wondering if maybe I should consider other alternatives.

The age difference is of no importance to me but my main concern is that I don't want to feel out of place if most of the people on board are much older.

Any recommendations or opinions.
Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Talliho

Default Re: Alaska 2005

I'm taking my 7th HAL cruise in November (13 cruises overall; also have been on Princess and Celebrity). This big knock on HAL that everyone is "so old" is a worn-out line. Yes, there will be, generally, a higher average age on most HAL ships but by no means will you be the "only" young person on board. (BTW, I'm 50 and started cruising 10 years ago.)
HAL has the nicest and less-densely populated ships, the best service and IMHO the best food of all the lines I've been on. Their ships are also the best maintained, kept, and cleanest ships (again IMHO). HAL is also one of the best in Alaska.
On a 7 night Alaska cruise you will find people of all ages, including families.
Unless you're looking for a rock-all-night-Carnival experience (in which case you should do Carnival), I'd recommend a HAL cruise as a refined, elegant, upscale and very enjoyable cruise.
The new Vista class ships are especially nice. Doing my 2nd Zuiderdam cruise 11-04 and can't wait.
Welcome to cruising, and whatever you choose - enjoy your cruise! Alaska is a fabulous experience.
Old June 9th, 2004, 10:31 AM
David M Lyons

Good Day

Being in the travel industry myself, it is a shame to see that everyon knocks Holland America (HAL) and the age of the clients. You must remember that most of the past passengers on HAL have been cruise with them for years, and most of the other cruise lines are not as old.

Feel free to check out my review of HAL news ship The Oosterdam at www.trvlguy.ca

Also, HAL usually has their Alaska pricing for the next season in late July or early August, no need to panice yet.

Regards

David
Old June 9th, 2004, 02:40 PM
RAE

My husband and I have sailed on HAL 3x. We are 40 and 41. We love it. Each cruise we've found people in our age bracket and also met older folks (who were so much fun). If you are not a "Party Animal" you will find enough to keep you occupied .
Old June 9th, 2004, 10:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am so glad to see some positive feedback on HAL ships. From the descriptions that everyone has given, I feel confident that my Alaska cruise on the Statendam in September will be just what I am looking for. I am in the 50+ age bracket, but was never a "party animal" even in my younger years. I also love the idea of being on a less densely populated ship. The last time I took an Alaska cruise, I sailed on the Carnival Spirit. It was a nice ship, but too many people and too much of a high energy atmosphere for my taste.

Old June 10th, 2004, 07:23 AM
debbieg

hi linda, i am in my early 50's and have strictly cruised with hal since the 1980's which was when i was in my early 30's i have never felt out of place nor a feeling of being out person out, the line is a wonderful line, you make the cruise the way you want it, if you want to be with people go girl!!if you want to be alone go Girl! its a perfect vacation, i have traveled with family and also with freinds but personally i love to cruise alone, its my time ffor me Yipee.....My cruise is not until 9-19 vancouver to vancouver i have been to alaska quite a few times so now when i travel there its to enjoy the ship and the special family i have know for years who work on the ship. Happy cruising to you.
Old June 10th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Passenger

Our son was 21 when he sailed with us to Alaska last year on a HAL ship. He loved it. Did not feel out of place and had plenty of conversations with older folks. He would go on HAL again.