Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Betty Boop

Default trans panama canal cruise

This is my second posting - no response to the first one. I am new to this, so maybe I did not do a good job in my first attempt. We are taking a 16 day cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to San Diego Jan. 29, '05 on the Ryndam -second cruise. The first was on the Amsterdam to Alaska. Would love to hear how others have regarded this cruise. Also, any tips on laundering would be appreciated - are washe/dryers coin operated? Do you need to wait in the laundry rooms while your stuff is being washed?
How does the Ryndam compare to the Amsterdam? Have we made too big a leap from a 7 day to a 16 day cruise - will we be stir crazy by the time the cruise is over?
Thanks for your help!!
Betty
Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2004, 03:44 PM
First Mate

Default Re: trans panama canal cruise

Hello, we've done the Canal cruise twice now and would do it again. Sea days are what we enjoy most instead of rushing off the ship every day. In our early 60's, we enjoy meeting people, good food and entertainment and reasonable night life. We loved the Ryndam.

Transiting the Canal is most interesting and there's a great commentary given as you enter the various locks.. It helps to be somewhat technically inclined. You might like to pull up the Cam shots of the canal - go to Google and type in Panama Canal.

There are laundry facilities on board - can't recall how much it cost. We've never had a problem leaving our laundry in the machine to do it's own thing - just remember to go back and put it in the dryer!

Hope this helps.

Ooops - almost forgot -here's the URL -
http://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html

Post Edited (06-27-04 14:52)
Old June 27th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Admiral

Wash is $2.00 - dry $1:00. Soap is provided but take care not to use too much as the water is soft.

We have done this trip twice from LA to FLL and loved it. There's lots to do and we certainly did not go stir crazy. We love the sea days also and often times don't bother getting off the ship in the ports, especially if we have been there before.

I never use the laundry facilities, as I feel I am on holidays and do enough laundry at home, so everything, except my dainties go to the ship's laundry. I am there to enjoy myself, not to do washing.

The Ryndam is a bit smaller than the Amsterdam - does not have the third set of elevators, but I am sure you will like her just as much.

Have a wonderful time.
Old June 28th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Betty Boop

Default Re: Re: trans panama canal cruise

Thank you so much for your response. Your "profile" sounds similar to ours. Even more reason to credit your opinions. We especially appreciate the URL which we fully intend to investigate!!
Thanks again.
Betty
Old September 14th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Bobbiergs

We're doing our second canal trip on Ryndam on the cruise before yours. This will be cruise #3 on her. We love it. The leap is not too much if you love to cruise and relax. If you want to run, there are plenty of stops. We like the smaller ship. Much more intimate, less hassle, less people.

I know you'll love it.