Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 30th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Dr_Cosmos

Default Extra tipping

What, in your opinion, warrents extra tipping. Since some lines now have the ten dollar a day per passenger tipping policy, what are some SPECIFIC ACTIONS that you would be willing to tip more.
Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Captain

Default Re: Extra tipping

If we have friendly, polite, efficient service, we shall tip extra. I think that $10 pp is not all that much to tip when you think how many people that is supposed to be "thanking".
Cabin Steward, Dining Steward, Asst Dining Steward and Dining Supervisor...Maitre d'?
How far does $10 go?
Old July 1st, 2004, 04:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

I tip extra if someone goes above and beyond what they are paid to do and usually tipped to do.

If my towels are changed more than twice a day and my bed is remade during the day after I've napped in it and have gone out again, when my waiter goes above and beyond his normal duties I tip extra.

First find out what they are SUPPOSED to do and how often they are SUPPOSED to do it. If it's less than what the policy states it should be...you can adjust your tips down...if it's MORE than what they're SUPPOSED to do, I tip more than the standard amount.

Basically, it's how YOU feel you are being served and what it's worth to YOU.

Some people think the staff is there to serve their every whim...not so...they have a certain criteria to fullfill...if it's filled...they deserve what the tipping is suggested to be. If it's MORE than fullfilled...they deserve more.

Just remember, they're not your slaves and if they just do their job and aren't willing to be your slave, that doesn't mean they don't deserve the suggested tip.

Old July 2nd, 2004, 11:04 PM
Dewhit6959

Georgie;

Well said! Above and beyond are the key words. I for one, do not understand what all the wringing of hands is for in relation to tipping. I do not want to come across as elitist, but if the tip protocol is such a financial burden, perhaps a lesser mode of transport and entertainment would be more appropriate. Greyhound does not have any tipping policy in place and you need not bother with a tuxedo, sports coat , tie or cordial greeting. However they would also prefer you wear a shirt with sleeves as a male passenger and refrain from loud discussion over your cell phone/walkie talkie and keep your children from running amok in the aisle.
Many would reconsider their disregard for rewarding outstanding service if they remember holiday and performance bonuses from their employment and their thoughts when received.
Old July 3rd, 2004, 09:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do! I would feel guilty if someone bent over backwards and went above and beyond and I did not reward them. I don't like feeling guilty or unappreciative, so I reward the service and the person who served me.

I'm sure there are some people who will look for any excuse to justify NOT even giving them the suggested amounts. That's their business, I wasn't raised that way. Heck I leave the hotel maid a tip even if I stay just one night!

I do believe, however that if more and more people don't tip even the suggested amount, more will be added on to the cruise price to make up the difference.

Old July 3rd, 2004, 11:01 AM
JLKoag

HEY,

I agree with you Georgie. We always leave extra tips because we get extra good service - never had bad service on a cruise - and we feel good about doing it. Leaving extra tips means that you have really enjoyed the cruise.

We always treat the service folks with respect - maybe that is why we get good service.

jlk

ps-- I leave hotel maids tips too, and some people think I am nuts. Maybe, but I would feel guilty if I did not leave a tip for good service.
Old July 6th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Passenger

We had a really nice experience on the Veendam.

One of the servers in the Crows Nest took our Dutch Hats that were given out at the Vista Dining room and personalized them for us.

She put the dates of the cruise, the name of the ship, and all of the ports that we visited.

It made a great momento of the cruise.

We felt like this was above and beyond the call of duty and thanked her with an "extra" gratuity.