Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to TheSeaCruzer Send a message via Yahoo to TheSeaCruzer
Default So tell me about Maasdam

I have a question for all those HAL enthusiasts out there. Should my family and I cruise aboard the Maasdam next summer?

We are a family of 4. Who have been to all the typical cruise destinations ie. Caribbean, Bermuda, Alaska, some Eruope. We are looking at the 7 day Canada New England as something short but different for us. We have never cruise on HAL and have mixed feelings about doing so. After cruiseing on Celebrity, Carnival, NCL, RCI, and Oceania we become worryed about how the Maasdam seems "dark." This is judging from others reviews and various photos and virtural tours of the ship.

I've read good things and very bad things about her and need to know what others truly think. Is she a clean ship, is she as dark as she appears and how does that effect the mood of the cruise, is the service worth the price, and if you've cruised her before would you cruise her again and recomed her to your best friend?

So if you have a comment about the Maasdam - I'de love to hear it - good or bad!

I of course have many other quetions but will hold with this one for now - thanks and have a great day!

Carnival Spirit - 4.03
Radiance of the Seas - 5.02
Grand Princess - 6.01
Ocean Princess - 4.00 (IS)
Carnival Triumph - 7.99 (I)
Mercury - 798
Zenith - 7.96
Dreamward - 7.94
Fantasy - 4.91
Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2004, 12:50 PM
ahill03

Default Re: So tell me about Maasdam

I don't know anything about the Maasdam, but it looks like you have been on so many cruises, I would love to ask you about them if you didn't mind. We are also a family of 4 with 2 teenagers. They will be 16 & 18. I am tentatively booked on the new Westerdam for next March for the Western Carribean, but am really worried my teens will be bored. I know I didn't answer your question, but I couldn't help myself. Sorry.
Old July 13th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Beginner

Hi Sea Cruiser,

We just returned from the Canada/New England Cruise on the Maasdam. The Maasdam is a lovely ship. I don't think it is dark at all, it does have lots of warm wood tones in the passageways. The cabins and public areas are very bright and cozy. I can't speak for all the cabins but ours wasy done in peachy tones. I also found the ship to be immaculately clean. I would not hesitate to cruise on the Maasdam again. SHe is a wonderful ship. The pictures on the web do not do her justice.

The food was wonderful and the staff is fantastic. Good luck with your decision.
Old July 13th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Beginner

We are about to leave for our second cruise on the Maasdam. We love this ship! She is clean and elegant. Don't let her age discourage you. The cabins are spacious, (we had a Cat.B minisuite last time) and well- appointed. The service is wonderful and the food is very good. The ship has beautiful fresh flowers throughout and wonderful artwork onboard. The lido area is excellent and the lido restaurant may be the best afloat.

We've been on the megaships with the 7-deck atrium and 2600 passengers and enjoyed it thoroughly. You won't find a massive atrium on the Maasdam. It has a three deck one with a very interesting glass sculpture gracing it. It is a mid-sized ship which we found very appealing. The waiters and bus boys learn your names the first night in the main dining room and do an excellent job of providing for your individual preferences.for the remainder of the cruise.

The experience is more of a classic cruise than a Vegas styled floating resort. The beautiful wrap-around teak Promenade deck with padded wooden lounge chairs is something you don't often see anymore. The sounding of the chimes to signal dinner is a nice touch as is the Yum-Yum man dispensing mints, etc, as you leave the dining room.

If you like the party atmosphere of some ships and loads of kids and drunken, obnoxious twenty-somethings then you probably won't like the Maasdam. If, however, you want a relaxing, fun, and classy(not snobby) vacation on a classy ship, give the Maasdam a try.

John
Old July 14th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hello-
Old July 14th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was wondering if anyone knew of any nice shore excursions for the Boston to Boston cruise. Are there any places that were your favorite or that you wouldn't go to again? Thanks!

We go on this cruise on Saturday and we are very excited!
Old July 14th, 2004, 09:16 PM
First Mate

I have said on many cruiseline and after sailing on celebrity and oceania i would not sail on holland america. it is not the best cruise line.

1988 Song of America
1992 Zenith
1992 Meridian
1994 Viking Sernanade
1996 Visions of the Seas
1997 Rhapsody of the Season
1998 Regal Princess
2000 Millenium
2001 Maasdam
2002 Costa Victoria
2003 Zenith
2004 Rotterdam
Old July 14th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Big Apple

Default Re: Re: So tell me about Maasdam

Hope you meant sailed.Do not knock Holland as they have one of the top returning passenger list.Having started cruising in the 60s they are one of the best and can compare most favorably with any of the other main stream lines.I have been on some 30 cruises many different linesw and H olland is right at the top.
Old July 15th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Thoth

I love the Maasdam> She is a very classy ship.
Old July 15th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Haze

We will be on our first cruise with HAL on august 21 and return voyage August 28 Canada new england. We have sield NCl, Cunard, RCI, Carnival. we are looking forward to this cruise and like to make our own opinions. I agree with the writer who talked about the photos not doing the ship justice. i think you have to see anything yourself to make a n opinion. We have done this Canada new England run twice before on other cruise lines so . We are looking forward to experiencing this one and this ship. any cruise is what you make it.
Old July 16th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Passenger

We are scheduled for our second cruise on the Maasdam in November. The ship is really clean and the service is great. On our last cruisethe server on the lido deck for breakfast ask our names the first day and then greeted us by name everyday after. My cousin travelled with us after suffering a stroke 2 months prior and they catered to her needs(carrying trays, finding close by tables) you name it they did it. We have cruised on Carnival and still prefer HAL. Have a great time and decide for your self.

Old July 16th, 2004, 11:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

We did the Boston-Boston May 29th-June 5th. Had the best time on the ship. Staff was excellent, food good and met great people. This was our 4th HAL trip so no complaints with service/rooms on board. We now however, are now disputing our final room bill. From what was given to us day of departure and what showed up on our credit card there is a $202+ overcharge. Keep your eye out. Also, watch out for so called discounts at restaurants in Bar Harbor. We really got screwed. It was the one right where you disembark the ship. You can look at the ship as you eat. We sat with another couple, separate checks and they couldn't figure out what to do. Service and food were bad (we had the lobster sandwiches). They ended up costing us more then the other couple we were sitting with that had 2 lobster tail dinners. Just a heads up.
Canada was gorgeous. Don't worry about the ship. We enjoyed the shows, food and I even won a nice keyring with the women's putting contest at the lido pool. HAVE FUN!!!!!
Old July 18th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Passenger

We've been on the Maasdam. It's a little smaller than todays megaliners, which is a plus in our opinion, it's also a little on the older side, but it's a class act. I only wish other ships were run as well as the Maasdam... You will be very happy with it..
Old July 19th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to TheSeaCruzer Send a message via Yahoo to TheSeaCruzer

Thank you every one for all your wonderful comments. Exactly what we needed. I'll keep you all posted on what develops with our cruise.

Thanks again and have a great day!

Seth

Carnival Spirit - 4.03
Radiance of the Seas - 5.02
Grand Princess - 6.01
Ocean Princess - 4.00 (IS)
Carnival Triumph - 7.99 (I)
Mercury - 798
Zenith - 7.96
Dreamward - 7.94
Fantasy - 4.91