Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Passenger

Default MUSIC onboard Zuiderdam and Oosterdam

Ok this will be my 31st cruise and I am soooooooooooooo confused.

I have a choice between Celebrity and HAL.

I have sailed both lines many time and each has their good and bad points.

JUST ONE QUESTION

Can you still just die from the boring music on HAL???? Do they have a reggae band poolside? Is the dance music still the "duo from 1944"? Do they even bother to open the disco? Is anyone up past 10pm?

I'm serious about this-- part of the fun for me is the music, so I am leaning toward Celebrity, but I am wondering if this Vista class is any different than usual HAL fare.
Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Passenger

Default Re: MUSIC onboard Zuiderdam and Oosterdam

I have been on both the Z and O recently and yes they have a poolside reggae band. The disco is really nice and there are many folks up past 10 on these two ships. The disco has theme nights, such as disco, country, new music etc. On these newer vista ships, they are trying to eliminate the "old folks" theme they seemed to have developed over the years. Give 'em a try. They are really nice and much more youth oriented.
Old July 14th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Passenger

Yep, I agree! There was great music poolside at all the sailaway parties. Some of the disco nights were 70's night and Dance through the Decades (with Happy New Year every 15 minutes!). The disco seemed to pick up as the week went on (with the first night being pretty sparse!). There was also a 50's sock hop in the Crow's Nest one night and Line Dancing (and lessons) another night. The disco has, of course, a DJ. The Crow's Nest had live bands.
Old July 16th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Benjamin Smith

Well, I'm 45 and I can get 70s disco night, 50s sock hop, disco, line dancing, dance through the decades on just about any line. I'll state, unequivically, I find the music of the 1920s through 1940s some of the best music ever and have enjoyed it since I've been a teenager. I enjoyed HAL because there was not only so much of this music, but people who knew the dances of the era, who *felt* the dances of the era. For me, with the Zuiderdam and sisters going towards a youth market, there's a big part of the appeal of HAL gone. It's now another line doing the same old stuff as Carnival and RCI, without the singing waiters, hair leg contests, etc. I'd love HAL to sail a ship for people who want the elegance of a cruise of a bygone era, appeals to seniors, etc. And ships that are in the 60,000 range. With Carnival running the show, HAL's just another contemparary cruise line losing its identity.
Old August 17th, 2004, 06:43 PM
venice

well I love the music and the dance of the 20'2-40's era as well as the music and dance from the 60's...going on HAL Zuiderdam in October (first time on HAL since 1977) so I'm hoping they can do both
Old August 18th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

On my spring break cruise on the Zuiderdam, I tended to stay by the aft pool. The band played a few times back there, but usually they were near the Lido pool. However, they did have music piped in by the aft pool, pretty good I might add, although I found it odd that one of the songs that got a lot of play was that song by Dido called "White Flag", which has in the chorus "I will go down with the ship".
Old August 18th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Thoth

I concur with the others here that the Vista class ships are just great for anybody. I have been on the older HAL ships and last month I was on the Oosterdam and it is a fact that Vista class is aimed a younger people and has more comtemporary music. The Northern Lights Disco was rocking and the Crow's Nest did have live music and dancing past midnight. People should not knock the Vista class ships unless they have sailed on one.
Old September 5th, 2004, 01:20 AM
Carol C

I love the music from the 60's, but I also enjoy some of the music from the 40's. Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy From Company C!!! heh heh...