Old July 16th, 2004, 09:20 PM
rocketcitylady

Default Obstructed View Cabins

I've noticed that some of the cabins on HAL's Vista Class ships are described as having partial sea view or fully obstructed view. Also, I am a solo traveler, and it seems that some of the single occupancy deals are for those type cabins. Interested in getting some feedback from folks who may have been in one of those cabins. What is partial sea view? Fully obstructed view? Can you see much, if anything, of the ocean, etc.
So far, I have only cruised with Carnival, with the exception of one with Celebrity. Now retired and looking forward to trying some of the other lines.

Thanks.
Old July 17th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Thoth

Default Re: Obstructed View Cabins

This time next week I'll hopefully be in one those fully obstructed cabins. I booked an inside regular(M) and have been upgraded to the outside obstructed(H). I'll tell about it upon my return.
Old July 17th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Haze

I have been in an obtructed view cabin on Cunard. What it meant there was the view was obstrcted by the liefboats that were hanging on the side of the ship. The room was very large but the view was definatley obstructed. We took it for the large room but were not in the cabin very much. I suspect it may be the same type of obstruction on Hal which I am on next month . i will be on Massdam in august but we do not have obstrcted view cabin.
Old July 17th, 2004, 10:21 PM
Passenger

I was on the Oosterdam by myself and had one of those cabins. I was in the front of the ship and had a verandah without the plexiglass. I had "ship" where the plexiglass should have been. I outfoxed them though, I put my table on top of my chair and sat really high to see out. A little uncomfy, but it worked. Some of the cabins in the middle of that floor had tenders for a view. Lovely! They couldn't see anything. I am on the same floor for a cruise on the Westerdam, but got a cabin in the back. No obstruction. Good luck.
Old July 18th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Obstructed view cabins are usually blocked by lifeboats. Sometimes there is a peek-a-boo view between the lifeboats, so look at the ship map and pick your cabin accordingly.

On the Celebrity Zenith we had an "Obstructed view", but the only obstruction was a couple of small poles which were part of the structure for the life boat elevator. So if you use a magnifying glass and study the ship's map carefully, you'll probably be better off. Thus you'll get far more natural light in your cabin, with as little as possible obstruction.
And you might end up with a pleasant view as well.

Happy sailing.
Old July 18th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Dr_Cosmos

You can do a copy/paste of the deck plan to a word processing program (msworks, word, etc) and then increase the size. Works great.
Old July 18th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Obstructed View Cabins

good idea!
Old July 19th, 2004, 09:47 PM
rocketcitylady

Default Re: Re: Re: Obstructed View Cabins

Thanks everyone for your replies. It appears that there may be at least a little bit of light in the worst case cabin. I'll probably only consider this category if the rate is REALLY good, since the cruise lines only offer a category guarantee in the single occupancy special rates.
Old August 14th, 2004, 12:00 AM
glrounds

Was on the Carnival PRIDE a "cousin" to the Vista-class ships (same hull) and was upgraded from an inside cabin(1A) to an "obstructed view"(5A). Was really great. Large french doors that opened just didn't have a balcony.

Lifeboats blocked the view somewhat, but my cabin was so positioned so I could see between them (about 6' apart). Great for an upgrade.

Gary