Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 18th, 2004, 11:51 PM
AnnieLee

Default Closet and drawer space

Hello my husband and his parents and I are taking our first cruise. We will be sailing on the new HAL Westerdam March 6, 2005 cruising the Eastern Carribean. My concern is packing...my husband says I always pack to much. Can anyone tell me how much closet and drawer space there is? We're staying in a VE or BB verandah stateroom. Also where can i find that countdown to cruise calendar. Thanks in advance. Anne
Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2004, 07:53 AM
Jodi

Default Re: Closet and drawer space

I am not sure about the closet and drawer space on Hal but...we had plent of space when we went on Royal and we took way to many clothes. This time besides our evening clothes we are taking two shorts outfits each and I am bringing one daytime sundress. We lived in our swimsuits and coverups the entire time on Royal. I too always pack way to much but on our last cruise I ironed all those clothes for no reason. The only reason they came out of the suitcase was to go into a draw or closet. Hope this helps.

Have a great trip.

J
Oosterdam October 24, 2004
Old August 19th, 2004, 09:12 AM
AnnieLee

Default Re: Re: Closet and drawer space

Jodi, Thank you helps alot. I guess you're allowed to go to just about everywhere in you Bathing suit with a decent cover up...right! I should not bring extra clothes to unpack and repack without wearing them! Anne Lee
Old August 19th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Jodi

Default Re: Re: Re: Closet and drawer space

Annie Lee, From everything I have read, if your in a decent coverup and the guys have on a shirt and your not dripping wet. We leave in just over 6 weeks so I will let you know everything. The last cruise we went on Bruce said I had enough clothes to sail for three - four weeks not just one. I'm so bad and I am also a shoe hound so I have to cut back there also.

Jodi
Old August 22nd, 2004, 01:22 AM
Thoth

Last month I was on the Oosterdam which is a sister ship to the Westerdam. Closet space is fine, but drawer space is somewhere between limited and non-existent. I had to put some cloths on the shelf inside the closet becouse there were not any empty drawers.
Old August 22nd, 2004, 02:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

On the Vista ships- Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, and your Westerdam- drawer space is terrible. They eliminated 6 drawers and made that area into a knee-hole desk, virtuallt wiping out drawer space. Now some of the closets have shelving. I would love to see HAL reinstate the drawer space onto the Vista ships, though we much prefer HAL's older and smaller ships anyway.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 08:58 PM
Captain

You cannot at any time go into the dining room with a bathing suit and coverup. You can, however, go into Lido dressed that way.

You certainly will need a few things to wear in the evenings that are not formal.
Old August 25th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

AnnieLee:
I'll try to get you going on the countdown clock. You may want to copy and print this since I made it kinda long by detailing every step I used. There are several threads to this countdown clock already on the various forums. If my procedure doesn't work you could do a search (top of page) on countdown clock. Here goes...

1. Make sure you are logged in. If not, scroll to top of page, click on Log-in; then log in.
2. Get back to this thread and scroll to bottom of page and click on Messagge Board Tricks. You will find a selection of stuff, including: COUNTDOWN CLOCK. Select :
the square bracket, the i, the m, the g, and the closing square bracket...........and all contents between..........then select the closing square brackets which has a slash, an i, an m, a g, and closing square brackets.
(Don"t forget: select even the brackets and everything in between.)
3. Right click mouse button and select Copy in the drop down menu.
4. Now Click on back arrow to take you back a page. Scroll to bottom and click on MY PROFILE; then click on EDIT PROFILE. Find the box next to Signature: and click inside the box to place the cursor (blinking line). Right click mouse button and paste contents of clipboard. Now, simply change the month, year and day to your appropriate sailing date. Be careful: don't add or take away spaces. It has to remain in the exact formatting as was pasted. (01 for January, or 11 for November and the date has to have the double digit formatting like 05 or 22 ) Don't adjust the hours/minutes as they adjust automatically. When month, year, day are entered, press the Enter key. Now, you can type in any additional message you want to show up under the countdown clock. ..like your ship, perhaps.
5. Next, scroll to bottom and be sure to click inside the small check box to "Add my signature to this post". (It should place a green check mark inside the small check box.
6. Finally, go back to forum and post a "test" message to see if it works.

Good Luck. Had to try this several times before it worked. Actually, I gave up after a few tries and when I logged on a couple of days later, there it was! Go figure.

Post Edited (08-25-04 18:54)

NCL DREAM -- 11 Aug. 2005
Old August 25th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

My niece and I spent 2 weeks on the Zuiderdam (veranda stateroom) earlier this summer. There was plunty of closet space for both of us. Peaches is right the drawer space is limited to the several drawers in each of the night stands and one in the desk. But there was a set of shelves in one of the closets that we used for stacking our tee shirts, shorts, underware, etc.

I took the advice I found on here as used large (2 1/2 gallon) zip lock bags to pack our underware and just left it in the bags and laid them on the shelves. We also had a basket in our closets that we could use for storing small items. Apparently these baskets come from the laundry. When we sent our bag the clothes cam back neetly folded and wraped in tisue paper, complete with gold seal and placed in more of these baskets.

As usual we ended up with outfits that we never wore. My advise for paking light is to pick a color theme so that you can mix and match, take multi use items (sun dresses that can also be used for beach coverups, etc,) and limit the number of shoes, purses, jackets, etc. that you need to take.
Old August 31st, 2004, 09:53 PM
AnnieLee

Thanks for the information and advice. Have a great day
Old August 31st, 2004, 10:07 PM
AnnieLee

Thanks for your assistance, I'm printing the instructions right now, I'll keep you posted
Annie Lee
Old August 31st, 2004, 10:54 PM
Passenger

Thanks Michael, Have a GREAT CRUISE!!!

Old August 31st, 2004, 11:06 PM
Passenger

I appreciate your help and advice...I certainly wouldn't think of going into the dining room in my bathing suit...even with a cover up. While we're on the topic of clothes...what is considered formal ? Thanks again, Anne Lee