CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Holland America (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/)
-   -   Mattress type (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/215819-mattress-type.html)

Ford_Racing_Ron September 3rd, 2004 03:33 PM

Mattress type

I know this is probably a longshot but I am hoping someone on this board has the answer. My wife any myself just got of the Volendam from an Alaska cruise and the bed was probably the most comfortable bed we have ever slept on. We really want to buy one but have no clue as to what type of mattress it was. Does anyone out there know? Thanks.

kwjones September 3rd, 2004 03:46 PM

Re: Mattress type

Hi Ford
I don't know for sure, but have noticed that those "Tempur-pedic" type mattresses have started showing up in hotels and other places. If you could place your palm down on the mattress, and the imprint stayed there for a minute or so, then that's what it was. I assume that the company has been giving "great deals" to the big users to get their product out. We had one of them in a Holiday Inn up in Virginia, and it was very, very nice. Just a thought.
Happy sailing,
Ken

Dizy September 3rd, 2004 08:26 PM

Check out HAL's web site - I am sure it was there that I saw that it was a Euro-Top mattress. Ah, found it on HAL's web site - try this http://www.hollandamerica.com/pdfs/S...nce_letter.pdf

However, it does not say what make it is - like Sealy, Serta, etc. etc.

TedC September 12th, 2004 05:23 PM

"Sealy Premium Euro-Top", according to HAL brochure.

peaches September 13th, 2004 11:15 AM

Re: Re: Mattress type

Ron, we actually looked at the label on the mattress since we loved it so much. It is a "Sealy Plush Euro-Top 'Made for Holland America' ". We would have to check with Sealy if the 'Made for HAL' means it is different than a comparable mattress sold directly to the public in Sealy's regular premium line of bedding or if the 'Made for HAL' mattress could be purchesed with permission from HAL.

Let us know here if you find anything out and I will do the same.

Linda Y September 13th, 2004 01:22 PM

I just got off the Statendam and know exactly what you are talking about. Those mattresses are HEAVENLY! I looked at the tags when my room steward was making up the bed while I was waiting to disembark yesterday and they were Sealy "Euro-tops". I am going to have to check it out when I get home. I need a new matteress anyway. I also loved those big fluffy Egyptian cotton towels. :)

Ford_Racing_Ron September 13th, 2004 01:30 PM

Thanks everyone, guess I started something here! Well, I did email Holland America and they in turn said they would forward my request for the mattress to "a Sealy representitive" so I guess peaches and TedC hit it on the money , and I will see if a "rep" emails me. Now the interesting part will be to see if we , the general public, can purchase one (as peaches stated). My problem,, I just bought my mattress a couple of years ago (a Simmons Beautyrest) and I really don't like it anymore! I slept like a rock on the HAL bed, either form exhaustion or comfort, don't really know which!

ron

mk September 13th, 2004 02:06 PM

Re: Re: Mattress type

LOL.....guess we weren't alone with loving the mattresses. Ours was on the Veendam, and they were the best beds we ever slept on. Thumbs up for HAL and their choice of mattress.

Sharon Riddle September 24th, 2004 12:39 AM

This is so funny-we were on the Vollendam to Alaska and I couldn't wait to get home to investigate that mattress! : ) Now we just need to find where we can buy it.........and how about those pillows?

Ford_Racing_Ron September 24th, 2004 10:25 AM

Ok Folks...I started this,,I can end it!!!

I recieved a call from Sealy, after being referred to them by HAL. The beds are Sealy euro-tops but not the ones we buy at the store, rather ones that are designed for HAL. However,, they will build and ship them to HAL customers upon request. I was called by someone named Bab Harrod, number 877-380-2778. He said if I called him we can discuus this and prices. That tells me I can't afford it,,but maybe you can!!

Ron

and no...I don't work for Sealy,,I don't work at all