Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 5th, 2004, 10:51 PM
Don Ewbank

Default Booze

It appears HAL has started restricting any liquor being brought on board by the passengers.
In my previous many, many HAL cruises you could bring beer, wine, etc. on board any time-
embarcation or port stops. Has Carnival tightened this policy also? Has anyone had experience with this?
Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2004, 11:02 PM
jamie m

Default Re: Booze

Carnival has always had a no-booze aboard,buy from us policy. I'm sad to hear HAL is following this format. Last cruise on the maasdam inapril you could buy aboard and drink in your cabin for a small fee above the cost of the bottle.
Old September 6th, 2004, 05:39 PM
jeanuk

Carnival has had this policy for over 10 years. HAL started it this Spring. We were on a 21 day cruise on the Zaandam in Ap/May and it was being enforced then. You used to be able to purchase in the duty free shop for in cabin consumption, not any more. Now, if you want a drink in your cabin, its either buy from room service, or smuggle a bottle on board....I have the room service prices if anyone is interested, just post your preffered poison and I`ll post the price....jean
Old September 6th, 2004, 08:17 PM
JLKoag

Hi Jeanuk,

We drink Crown Royal (Seagram's premium rye) on the rocks - could you please tell us what the cost of that is?

Thanx jean. jlk
Old September 7th, 2004, 01:36 PM
jeanuk

Default Re: Re: Booze

Hi, the list I have is for liters, Crown royal is $40 a liter for in cabin consumption. If you just want a shot, it is the same price as in the bars, I think CR was 5.50....jean
Old September 7th, 2004, 07:01 PM
JLKoag

Thanx Jeanuk,

$40 p/liter is not a bad price in reality - it is just about 20% more than what you would pay in a liquor store here in NY State.

Thanx again. jlk
Old September 7th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Beginner

Hi Jeanuk,

Can you give me the bottle prices for Jack Daniels, Smirnoff, and Tanqurey Gin (I know I didn't spell that correctly)?

Thanks.
Old September 7th, 2004, 10:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

What are the rules about wine and champagne? I do like a glass of wine in my cabin in the evening and have not yet had a problem bringing wine onboard. Think this is still O.K.?

Old September 12th, 2004, 05:45 PM
jeanuk

OK here goes: Jack Daniels red/black $37/$54

Smirnoff $29

Tanqueray $37

Yes you can bring wine and champagne on board for cabin consumption. If you take it to the dining room, there is a $17.50 corkage fee.hope this was of help....jean
Old September 17th, 2004, 10:21 PM
JLKoag

Too bad the greed has set in. But, I still love Holland America.
Old September 18th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Captain

You are permitted to bring wine and champagne aboard with you.
Old November 6th, 2004, 06:58 PM
lwensole

just found this website a few weeks ago. Will be on Oosterdam Nov 28th and booked a Veranda suite with the idea of being able to bring our own beer and vodka aboard to drink while relaxing in the evening or days at sea. What is the going price for Grey Goose, tonic water and Bud Light?
Thanks, Linda
Old November 18th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Matt Steffen

What about beer. I love the suds and want to bring a couple of cases on my 11 day trip. Any problem with that?
Old November 18th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Admiral

Not allowed - only wine and champagne. Sorry!
Old November 23rd, 2004, 12:46 PM
Janice B

Do they sell buckets of beer like Carnival does? We found this very convient by the pool.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 04:00 PM
Admiral

As far as I know, I've never seen buckets of beer on HAL - only bottles and cans.
Old November 24th, 2004, 09:03 PM
Midge

I love all the chat about the all important booze. Good info. We are taking our 3rd HAL cruise to Mexico out of San Diego in Feb. and I had no idea we could take any booze on board. Always like a good bottle of wine or champagne. Even the 17.50 dining room charge is worth it for a good bottle of wine. Thanks for the info.
Old November 27th, 2004, 03:40 AM
ak

whatever you take on, i'd recommend doing it at the beginning and doing so in your checked luggage... less chance of it being taken. it's techinally not allowed, but people do it.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 05:42 PM
Beginner

I brought a Case of Kalik beer on board my December cruise in '03 after stopping in Nassau; had no problems. But as previous posters have stated, I see they've clamped down on doing that sort of thing Now! (Bummer) : >(... I'll still try though, when I go on the Westerdam (12/12/04), as I just luv that Brew.

Happy Sailing...
Old December 6th, 2004, 09:26 PM
bridget

good luck, we have never encountered problems bringing beer, wine and the hard liquor on.
we were told by a taxi driver in Miami once- you paid to rent your cabin aka hotel room who can stop you from drinking in your room.
Old December 6th, 2004, 09:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Our Canadian friends always had a bucket of Corona bottles iced down by the pool on our Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Zaandam.
Old December 7th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Janice B

Default Re: Re: Re: Booze

Were they selling the buckets of beer on the ship or did they improvise?
Old December 7th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Admiral

Bridget - don't know when you last cruise on HAL, but they will no longer allow you to bring beer and hard liquour on board - only beer and wine. This policy has been in effect since the beginning of this year. If they find it in your carry-on luggage, they will confiscate it and return it to you at the end of the cruise. Also they check your bags when you return for a day in port.

Some people are saying that the crew looks the other way, but doesn't always happen.
Old December 7th, 2004, 05:10 PM
big apple

Put the booze in your checked baggage plstic bottles wraped in bubble wrap No problem.The beer needs to also go on in checked.You can bring as much wine and champagne in your carry on .I usually restock at first port thru duty free on my wine until the next port.All of the cruise lines are doing the same thing and I have been on all of them in the last 2 yrs.O n millinnium I saw a man bring on a case of Champagne and case of beer in carry on right out in the open Again noproblem.
Old December 7th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

JaniceB:
They were selling the buckets of beer on the ship.
Old December 25th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Beginner

Well, just to let you know I had NO sucess bringing on my Case of Kalik in Nassau... they confiscated it right quick. Did manage to sneek 3 - 22oz Presedente Bottles of beer when we were in Tortola on board. Oh well, can't win them all. Am enjoying my Kalik right now though!! Happy sailing to all, and may you have fair winds and following seas on your voyages.
Old December 25th, 2004, 12:47 PM
big apple

If you want beer put in your checked baggage prior to boarding.I can find any foreign beer in my local liquor store and probably at the same price or cheaper than nassau.The other way you may try in the future is place a few in your backpack or carry on bag with inner mix of bottle water.Make sure you board when there are many standing in the lineJust a few tricks of the big apple after numerous cruises.