Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 7th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Beginner

Default Cabanas @ Half Moon Cay

Hi. We will be sailing on the Oosterdam on Dec 19th. Our first port is Half Moon Cay, we've never been there before and was wondering if anyone has rented one the cabanas for the day? Are they worth it? If so, which one did you get? Did you book yours before the cruise or wait till on the ship?
Also, my husband's been wondering...when HAL says formal & informal dinner wear (for men), just exactly what do they mean? Are tuxes required on formal nights? What do the majority wear?
This will be our first cruise with HAL & are really looking forward to it. Thanks for your help & any other advice you may have.
Thanks.
KY CAT
Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2004, 07:03 AM
meglet

Default Re: Cabanas @ Half Moon Cay

We were lucky enough to find a cabana still available to book onboard for our 7/30 cruise. Hope they'll have them back up and running from any Frances damage by the time you travel.

The cabanas are set up for 4 people at a cost of $219. See HAL website for details about what is in the cabana. HMC is my favorite day of any cruise, but by early afternoon, it was just too hot and sticky to stay any longer. The cabanas are wonderful, decadent, an experience that I will always remember. Inside the cabana is a dining table with 4 chairs, complete with mini flower arrangement. Inside your mini fridge are salsa and chips and a fruit plate. There's a storage area for any beach bags you might bring. Nicely rolled facecloths are provided soaking in ice water. On the porch of your cabana are two lounge chairs, extra towels, and a cooler with beverages of your choice. Right by the three stairs down to the sand is your private shower.

We had sky blue cabana, a little walk down the beach, away from the really crowded area, just a short walk to the food court.

You are assigned a staff member as your cabana boy for the day. HAL staff can't do enough to make you happy. He was great, yet unobtrusive.

Go for it! The cabana is the experience of a lifetime.
Old September 8th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Beginner

Meglet, Thanks so much for the great information. That helps alot. I've heard some great things about this port. CAN'T WAIT!!!

Old September 9th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Tamara Johnson

I just purchaced a cabana for my trip in 10/31/04. I can't wait
Old September 28th, 2004, 02:53 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to KathleenFL Send a message via Yahoo to KathleenFL

The Shore Excursions page, on HAL's website, has pictures of all of the cabins........
I'll try to link to it:

http://hollandamerica.com/dest/port....A1&dest=020000

Has anyone rented the Clamshells on HMC? What/how were they?

Old September 28th, 2004, 06:16 AM
D Shipp

Ky Cat,

You will love Half Moon. We have never rented a cabana but then we were in the water floating on a mat all day. The water is just beautiful and warm. This is one of our favorite ports. We will be on a HAL cruise Nov 20. Can't wait. Have a great time and I am sure that you will sail HAL many more time.
Old September 28th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Passenger

I wish HAL would offer a cruise where the ship would just sail to Half Moon Cay and drop anchor for a whole week. You could enjoy all the amenities a ship has to offer and then go to the beach for the day. I could just spend the whole day floating in that wonderful water.
Old September 30th, 2004, 12:49 AM
crafter

Due to damage at Half Moon Cay, our sailing (Sept 11) didn't get to go there. I was so disappointed. I was really looking forward to spending the day at the beach. I guess we'll just have to go on another cruise with Holland so we can go there.
Old September 30th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Captain

Zuiderdam will resume her calls to HMC on the upcoming October 2 cruise. There was very little beach erosion and 'what you would expect' foliage stripping. Very little damage.

The clamshells rent for $9 for the day and can be reserved through the shore excursion office when aboard ......I think you can reserve them in advance on the HAL site.
Old October 6th, 2004, 04:47 PM
dukie

We have the pink cabana booked for our October 24 cruise on the Oostredam. I booked it along time ago and asked for the oranage cabana but they said that was already taken. But if you go on the HAL excursion site it shows only the pink one booked. I'm so confused. It really does not matter to us just as long as we can stop at HMC and enjoy the island.
Old October 6th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Passenger

Which color would be a good cabana to choose?
Thanks,
JoJo
Old October 7th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Cabanas @ Half Moon Cay

I thought you might like to see a picture of the pink cabana you booked. Joe
Just click on the pink.jpg link above.

Post Edited (10-07-04 21:50)