Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Beginner

Default Thanksgiving Cruise

Hi All,

The DH & I are taking our first HAL cruise this year. We'll be on the Amsterdam over the Thanksgiving holiday. I was wondering if the cruiseline celebrates the holiday, and if so, what kind of a spread can we expect?

Also, we have a few questions about the difference between 'formal' and 'semi-formal', or whatever they call their 'not quite formal' nights. Are dresses still expected for women on those nights, or can one get by with dressy slacks? I assume it's still jackets for men, but are ties expected? This cruiseline is more structured and formal than we're used to and we want to be prepared. We know what's expected on their formal and informal nights, it's just that middle one we're unsure of. ;-)

Thanks!

Polly
Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2004, 09:38 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Thanksgiving Cruise

Yes, HAL goes all out for Thanksgiving - turkey, cranberry, stuffing, pumpkin pie. We have sailed a few times at American Thanksgiving and enjoyed it - being Canadians, we get to celebrate twice.

I don't know what you mean about "middle one". There's formal, informal, and casusal/elegantly casual.

If you are asking about Semi-formal then I wear dressy slacks and a nice blouse with or with a jacket. Hubby wears a jacket but no tie. A lot of women wear a dresses. I used to before slacks came into vogue.

Casual night I wear a nice pair of slacks and a sweater set or a blouse and hubby wears dockers and a golf shirt - just something that's comfortable. They do not allow jeans, shorts or tank tops in the dining room.

This will all be outlined in the book "know before you Go" which is included in your documents. You can also go to HAL's web site and check there.

Enjoy your cruise.
Old October 19th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Beginner

Thanks, Dizy, it's 'informal' that I was referring to. I read all the literature, but it still didn't seem very clear. Maybe it's just me. :-) Your guidelines will help out a lot, thanks! I'll probably wear a few dresses for the informal nights, then, and just kind of blur the rest of them in with the casual nights, since I have a lot of slacks, and I do rather tire of dresses every night. I'd never wear jeans in the evenings, unless I hit the informal restaurant / buffet. Can I get away with the occasional denim in the informal restaurant?
I'm assuming that one is La Fontaine on this cruise ship. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Glad to hear they do a 'traditional' American Thanksgiving. It's my favorite meal of the whole year.

Thanks,

Polly
Old October 19th, 2004, 09:00 PM
First Mate

The Informal restaurant would be dinner in the Lido in the evening. La Fontaine is the main dining room and the Pinnacle Grille is the alternative restaurant where they charge $20.00 per person, but it's worth it to eat there at least once.

I, personally do not wear denim, but on a casual night you could wear a denim outfit, as long as it's not the typical pair of jeans. I never take jeans to the Caribbean as they are too hot to wear even in the evening.

Any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Old October 20th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Admiral

David and I have even worn very nice sweaters with slacks and nice shoes on informal nights and there was absolutely no problem at all. I think as long as you are trying to look as nice as you might at a nicer restaurant near your home you'll be just fine.

And yes pant suits or nice slacks and blouse are fine for women too on informal night.

Just relax and have a great cruise! Please yourself, not others!

P.S. Don't expect Thanksgiving dinner to be fabulous. Options other than turkey are often a better choice. I love good turkey and have been disappointed for Thanksgiving at least four times. These disappointments included sailings on the Veendam and The Amsterdam. I've learned to opt for a different choice and have turkey when I get home and can prepare it in a manner to my taste.

Post Edited (10-20-04 19:11)