Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 1st, 2004, 07:09 PM
Cate M.

Default Two Ships at Half Moon Cay

In February the Zuiderdam and Volendam will be at Half Moon Cay at the same time. Will the island be a bit crowded with passengers from two ships? The Volendam gets in at 7 a.m. and the Zuiderdam at 8 a.m.
Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2004, 03:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Two Ships at Half Moon Cay

When I was there over Spring Break, the Zuiderdam and Rotterdam were at HMC. There were a lot of people, but I can't say it was crowded.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 08:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

I can only comment on my experience when there was only one ship.
With only one ship (Zaandam last March) we felt like the beach and the facilities could have easily handled many more people. Lounge chairs were abundant on the beach, food and drink facilities were uncrowded. HMC definitely was a highlight of our cruise.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 11:49 PM
Jkm7

We have been there a number of times when there are two ships. It is mostly fine but the lunch line can get a bit long if everyone tries to go at the same time.

When we were there last month on Zuiderdam, there were empty lounges and plenty of room at the lunch tables.

It works okay for two ships if only one is a Vista class. (It might not be so great if there were two Vista ships there each carrying 1,800+ pax ).
Old November 3rd, 2004, 09:37 PM
Admiral

Last year I was on the volendam, the Maasdam and the Volendam were
at the same time. There was plenty of room. It was a real kodak moment
with both ships side by side!!

Old November 4th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Captain

We were at HMC on Amsterdam and Zaandam was also there. I agree it is a very pretty sight to see two HAL ships anchored together.
Old November 6th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Passenger

On our Zaandam visit to HMC the Zuiderdam joined us a few hours later...it did get more crowded, but certainly not "overcrowded".
Old November 6th, 2004, 05:00 PM
First Mate

We'll be there Nov 21 - Zuiderdam and Noordam are showing to be there. I'm curious how the "people density" situation will be.

On Maasdam last year for Thanksgiving week, we were the only ship there and it was awesome! Knowing there will be two ships, I am now leaning towards reserving a clam shell just to be sure we have a place to sit.
Old November 28th, 2004, 07:14 AM
bridget

I was there when we were on the Maasdam and the Amsterdam was also there. THere were alot of people but it was not crowded. I suggest getting off the tender and going left down the beach a bit. looked like most people stay close to the tender and food area that area seemed crowded.
we had no trouble securing chairs for 6 and even a hammock by walking a few minutes.
Old November 28th, 2004, 07:16 PM
First Mate

Turns out CruiseCal was incorrect for our Nov 21 HMC day on Zuiderdam. Fortunately we only had the 2072 passengers of the Zuiderdam there (11/20 sailing). Still enjoyed our $9 clamshell though (arrived by 9 AM), and in the morning we popped into a couple hammocks to enjoy for a short while. By noon, some people came to claim "their" hammocks - dropping a pair of flipflops in each hammock, excited they had their own hammock for the day, and then venturing off to not be seen again (we left about an hour later). So nice of them to be considerate of other guests who might have wanted to spend a few minutes laying in "their" hammocks. We were near the last three cabanas - so quite a ways down the beach (of course spent some time walking to the very far end by the rocks).
Old November 30th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Cate M.

Can some explain what a clamshell is? Don't remember seeing such a thing when we were last at HMC in 2001.

Cate M.
Old December 1st, 2004, 02:41 AM
Marion Paris

When we were on the Zuiderdam we were the only ship there.

However, I am usually on the first tender ashore and leave during lunch. Can't stant too much of the heat so I go early and leave early.

I like empty beaches so I go and get the first pick early in the AM. When it is just getting crowded I am heading back to the ship.

Happy Sailing!
Old December 2nd, 2004, 07:22 PM
First Mate

Cate:
Clamshell is a blue "half moon" thing that covers two lounge chairs to provide shade. You are guaranteed two chairs plus the blue thing, that is held up by a pole.

If you have ever been to Norwegian's private island, Great Stirrup Cay, it's the same thing you see lining the beach there that's actually free - first-come,first-serve. HAL charges $9 for their's.

We were on the first tender - which left at 8:15 - and the Zui was the only ship in port. I believe we had 2072 passengers onboard. The closer you were to the main entrance, the more crowded the beach was. We were down by the last three cabanas like we did last year, and enjoyed it. November 21 was the day we were there - the first day the waterpark was open - but we didn't go there (we don't have children). The hotel director shared with us one evening it seemed to be a hit - he enjoyed watching to see what the kids would actually gravitate towards. You can see the waterpark area as you pull up on the tender.
Old December 4th, 2004, 07:18 AM
Passenger

Two ships at Half Moon has somewhat ruined the experience. I have been to Half Moon many times and when there are 2 ships it is very crowded. If it is a nice day, the beach will be packed solid and lounge chairs can be difficult to find.