Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 10th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Ship's "SECRET" cabins

b]With alot of help from you, I'd like to write an article about the "Secret Cabins" on various ships.

Most ships have a few "secret cabins" which are different than other cabins within the same category. They could be different because of larger balconies, or large cabin because of the layout, etc.

Some examples might be the "hump cabins" on RCI Radiance Class, or the FVs on Celebrity, the aft cabins on many ships.

If you've ever stayed in one of these secret cabins I'd appreciate you posting the ship, cabin #, and ammenities that you felt gave it that something extra.

Also would like to hear about the awful secret cabins. Those that are noisy because of a bar or disco around it, etc.

Again.. please be specific, with ship, cabin #, and reason to avoid.

Thanks in advance with the help for this article. Hope I can get enough input to make it work.[/b]

Old November 10th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique
Default Re: Ship's "SECRET" cabins

Lifeboat #13 might be an undesirable "secret".
Old November 11th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Ford_Racing_Ron

Volendam, cabin 6118, Has pipe running through side of balcony that is for the toilet two decks above, associated with the show lounge. Loud wooshing sound everytime flushed,,when lounge had activiteis,,primairly during showtimes.
Old November 13th, 2004, 12:17 AM
tracyt

Default Re: Ship's

Does the hallway outside the fitness center of the MS Amsterdam count as a "secret room"? It certainly is a secret to those who might not want to know about such things.
Old November 13th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Frank Black

I was one of the first people to sail on the Millennium in Cabin 8166. This is a corner aft cabin. Old catagory 3 now FV.

Here's several items no one mentions. There are two doors to get to your cabin and a small hallway in between that has piped in music. There is a doorbell ouside since it's hard to hear someone knock on the outter door. The cabin also has somef extra full height mirrors.
Old November 24th, 2004, 11:34 AM
MarkyMark

Default Re: Ship's

On all the Vista-class HAL ships (O-dam, Zuiderdam and Westie), the officer's bar is located on deck 4 forward. I would avoid booking the cabins next door as some nights it can be loud until well past 2am.

The cabin numbers would be 4001 & 4002 for the two right next door, but really I'd stay above 4020.
Old December 6th, 2004, 11:13 PM
slotl

Rotterdam - AVOID like the plague FF1818 (probably all FF rooms in that area).

1. It is directly in front of the main housekeeping station for the floor. All room stewards check in, talk, get supplies directly outside your room.

2. The completed laundry wagons sit in that corner until all dry cleaning has been delivered to the cabins.

3. It is in the direct entry to the doctor - there is a lot of traffic and there was an emergency medical evacuation while we were on board

and the NUMBER ONE REASON:

The room is directly above the tender door, so the chains and pulleys to open/shut that door will bounce you out of bed with the vibrations and you run for cover from the scretching clanking noise.

P.S. we took the Canada/New England cruise and most of the ports are tender ports. Every morning the doors were opened for the tender loading/unloading.
Old January 27th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to geoff

Avoid Lower Promenade deck cabins on Maasdam - and her sisters -- I think they are Zaandam and one or two others -- they have no privacy from passers-by on the outer deck - for lower price, you can get same size cabins on Main or A De.ck
Old January 28th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Passenger

If you don't care for bathtub, the handicapped stateroom is the best.
Old February 5th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Cynthia

Oosterdam, forward rooms on the 4th floor are under the stage and the noise from the shows is horrendous! The front office told us that no one has ever complained about this tho 1 couple was getting a new room, we were not afforded that courtesy. So I would not book rooms UNDER any stage area. Rotterdam K2619 is a very large inside room and HAL has quite a few rooms like these if you like inside.
Old February 5th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Beginner

I thought that on the Oosterdam the Vista Lounge was on the Promenade Deck and the 400+ cabins are on the Upper Promenade deck. So, this would put the cabins above the stage.
Old February 6th, 2005, 07:43 PM
seawench

Default Re: Re: Ship's "SECRET" cabins

Of course you should be in need of a handicapped room if you book one.
After all, there is a limited number of them available, and a person in a wheelchair cannot use one of the hundreds of other "regular" rooms.
Old February 17th, 2005, 01:14 PM
MarkyMark

Default Re: Re: Ship's "SECRET" cabins

You are correct, the Vista Lounge on the ZUDM, OSDM and WEDM is on decks 1-3. Deck 4 forward, would have the stage under your cabin. So really, in addition to the partying crew in the O.B., I'd really avoid all cabins 4001-4040 or so on the Vista ships...
Old February 17th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Passenger

Are you one who would go with an inside cabin to save a few $? I would recommend Cabin 039 on the Maasdam - Navagation Deck. The location of this inside room is great. It's been years since I went with an inside but was pleasantly suprised by its size. It's surrounded by Suites and located a short distance from the Neptune Lounge. The staff is nice and welcomes anyone from this floor. The outside pool is down the hall, one flight up to the Lido deck, only a few flights down for the dining room and activites. It's the way to go.

Stay away from Even number Suites on this ship. There is a history of issues with the A/C.
Old April 17th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Ryansmemom

Default Re: Re: Ship's

Hi! This is the first time I am posting on this message board and I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers. However, it is not true that anyone staying on the Navagation Deck on the Maasdam or any other HAL ship may use the Neptune Lounge. We were on the Maasdam, in a Suite, and the concierge confided to us that she was having a terrible time keeping people who were not entitled to use the lounge out.

HAL personnel are trained to be courtious to all guests and never be rude. She did tell us that from time to time people staying in mini suites or the inside cabins on the deck just seemed to not understand what she was saying when she politly told them they were not entitled to use the lounge, even to stop in for a cup of coffee. She did explain that suite passengers were paying extra for the use of the lounge and the only way they could use the lounge was to book a full suite.

Neptune Lounge staff know very well who is entitled to use the lounge and who is not. When you are booked in a suite your name is on a list and when they meet you for the first time they check your name and cabin number. After that they know who you are. They are trained to be polite, however if you are not paying for the suite, you are not paying for the Neptune Lounge and you are not entitled to sneak in.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that because the staff have a smile on their face and are being polite they are welcoming. They are not. They are politly and gently asking you to leave and not come back.

Sorry, this is not a secret perk of HAL open to those not booked in suites who happen to be living on the same deck.

Linda
Old April 26th, 2005, 01:11 PM
the2ofus

I disagree with the poster above regarding the Lower Promenade cabins on HAL ships. You do have privacy, except at night with lights on in the cabin. Most of these cabins have mirrored windows so during the day you have to press your face directly to the outside glass in order to see anything in the cabin. Even then, you only see shapes, not anything more. There are sheer curtains and heavy drapes so you can have all the privacy you want.

The big advantage to these cabins is that they have easy access to the Lower Prom deck, meaning you have a huge wrap-around verandah at your disposal.

Avoid Lower Prom port side cabins below the kitchens unless you are an early riser., they can be noisy in the early a.m.
Old April 5th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Beginner

Default Balcony privacy

We just returned from the March 21st Noordam cruise. We had a great time, and were very impressed with the ship. We've been mostly Celebrity cruisers, but we thought the level of service, food quality and accomodations were great. And, we loved embarking from New York, our "homeport."

One observation for this thread...The balconies ajacent to the midships port & starboard glass elevators have no privacy panel separating them from the elevators. People in the elevators can see directly onto the balcony, and the people in those cabins basically watch the elevator cars riding up & down all day & night.

Just a word of caution for anyone who might find this a factor on their cabin choice.
Old April 5th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Admiral

[quote="iluvcruzin"]Are you one who would go with an inside cabin to save a few $? I would recommend Cabin 039 on the Maasdam - Navagation Deck. The location of this inside room is great. It's been years since I went with an inside but was pleasantly suprised by its size. It's surrounded by Suites and located a short distance from the Neptune Lounge. The staff is nice and welcomes anyone from this floor. .quote]

Sorry, but I agree with Ryansmemom - your statement about anyone who has a cabin on the Nav deck being welcome in the Neptune Lounge, is incorrect. If you were in an Inside cabin and did use the Neptune Lounge, it was an oversight on the part of the concierge. The Neptune Lounge is only for those passengers in an S Suite or the Penthouse.

On the Vista ships the only way you can get into the Neptune Lounge is by using your cabin key card, which is a different colour for Suites (SA/SB/SC/PH).
Old April 5th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Captain

I agree with Linda and Dee. The concierges know who is in a Suite, what they look like and their cabin number before they even go to the Lounge the first time. They check the ID photos that are taken during embarkation on their laptops while seated in the Neptune Lounge. Every time we enter upon embarking, the Concierge has always greeted us by name and has confirmed our cabin number.

They are delightful, well trained young women who do a great job. It isn't right to put them in the position of having to ask you to kindly respect the fact people have paid a considerable sum for use of the lounge. No one should expect they are entitled to use it if they are not staying in an 'eligible cabin'.

Linda.......Welcome. How nice to 'see' you. I've missed you. Hope all is well with you.
Old April 6th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas

Linda.......Welcome. How nice to 'see' you. I've missed you. Hope all is well with you.
If you look at the date of Linda's post, you will see that it is almost two years old. This is an old thread which has been revived.
Old April 6th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiklesis

If you look at the date of Linda's post, you will see that it is almost two years old. This is an old thread which has been revived.
You are certainly more observant than Sails and I were. Didn't even notice that this thread was started 2 1/2 years ago. Wonder why it was revived?
Old April 10th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

On Royal Caribbean's ships, entrance into their lounge for suite passengers is accessed by their Sail and Sign card. That way, those who are not in suites will have a card that does not gain entrance. I'm surprised HAL doesn't do the same.
Old May 6th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Admiral

KukI:

There usually is one secret "cabin" aboard called a brig or holding room. Do recall locating those on the diagrams by the bridge on several HAL cruises when bridge tours were possible. Don't know if the diagrams are accessible to the public anymore.

Don't think you can book those cabins - I think they are assigned. 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
b]With alot of help from you, I'd like to write an article about the "Secret Cabins" on various ships.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old May 7th, 2007, 03:17 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryansmemom
Sorry, this is not a secret perk of HAL open to those not booked in suites who happen to be living on the same deck.
I think the reason people believe they can use the lounge if they are not in a suite on that floor is because many suite passengers will book an inside cabin across the hall from their suite for the kids. In actuality, they are then paying MORE money for accommodations than if they just had the kids in their suite with them. So, I think in a case like that, the Neptune Lounge is considered available for the entire party ... including the kids in that inside cabin across the hall from mom and dad's suite.

But, I agree, if you just happen to book an inside cabin on the Navigation deck, that doesn't entitle you to Neptune Lounge privileges, and frankly, I would be very surprised if the concierge didn't politely set those folks' straight when they attempted to use the lounge's perks.

Fair is fair. If you don't pay for something, you shouldn't expect to have use of it. It falls upon the concierge to ensure that only those passengers entitled to use of the Neptune Lounge are, in fact, getting it. After all, there are polite ways to tell someone to "get lost" without hurting their feelings.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old June 10th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Passenger

I recently returned from the Maasdam (4May-19May), and enjoyed inside cabin 548 on the main deck. This and a few other insides on this and other HAL ships are oriented from stem to stern and have a lot more floor space than normal including outside cabins. They don't offer any more amenities other than being roomier, although the couch was also bigger.
If you scan the HAL deck plans, you can easily spot these cabins even though the disclaimer says 'not to scale'.
Old June 25th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryansmemom
Hi! This is the first time I am posting on this message board and I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers. However, it is not true that anyone staying on the Navagation Deck on the Maasdam or any other HAL ship may use the Neptune Lounge. We were on the Maasdam, in a Suite, and the concierge confided to us that she was having a terrible time keeping people who were not entitled to use the lounge out.
If inside cabin occupants on the Navigation Deck are not supposed to use the lounge, then the concierge is not doing her job in letting them in there. I personally can well understand anyone residing on the Navigation Deck thinking they were welcome to use the Neptune ... if they weren't, then why have inside cabins on that deck? Why not use those few inside staterooms for staff or for guest entertainers, or whatnot ... and then simply tell them in no uncertain terms that the Neptune is off-limits to them?

If a deck is primarily comprised of suites having the Neptune Lounge perk, and there were a few other accommodations on that floor not being entitled to the perk, then a form should be left in those cabins upon embarkation, clearly informing those occupants that Neptune Lounge access is not a benefit of their accommodations. Then the concierge should be willing to do her job if and when those people attempt to use the lounge, by politely telling them that they will have to leave.

Personally, if I were staying on the Navigation Deck in an inside cabin, and were not "saavy" as a result of reading these boards, I could well imagine myself assuming I had use of the Neptune as well ... after all, my cabin may be right across the hall from it. And, if my using it is such a big deal, then I shouldn't have been permitted to book a cabin on that deck that did not come with the perk.

Of course, since I know better, I would never set foot in the Neptune even if I were on that deck. But you can't expect everyone to be that knowledgeable. I could well understand someone in one of those cabins just assuming it was okay to use the lounge. And if the concierge didn't set them straight ... then how are they to know they're taking advantage of a perk they didn't pay for?

That's why I say ... HAL is at fault for the misunderstanding here. Since there are only a few inside cabins on the Navigation deck, why not fill them with staff or other shipboard personnel? That way there would be no problems, right?

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old July 9th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Passenger

On Maasdam avoid cabins that are designated for 3 people if you are only 2. There is a very long sofa in the 3 people cabin that eats up the floor space. The 2 person cabin has the same space, but has a smaller loveseat and gives you more floorspace.