We recently booked a cruise for next September on the Westerdam. I'm now reading reviews and information that have me concerned.
If anyone has been on the Westerdam or the other Vista class ships, can you tell me:
1) Are there a self-service laundries available (like a laundromat)?
2) What is the closet and drawer situation? I'm hearing there is little or no drawer space, and closet space isn't great either.
3) Are the double balcony cabins (whatever they're called) smaller than similar class cabins on other Holland ships?
I've been on the Statendam and Volendam as well. Any comparisons you can give would be appreciated. We'll be in a V class cabin (that's the new designation for the double balcony rooms. Not sure what the old term for it is/was). This is comparable to what we had on the other two ships.
1. There's no self-service laundry on the Westerdam
2. We were just in a "B" class room and like you, I'd read about poor storage space, but it was fine, just, for the contents of two large suitcases and two cabin size ones. The only drawers however, were two small ones on each side of the bed, but the rest of our stuff just got stacked on shelves in the single wardrobe, or got hung up in the two double wardrobes. (Tip, when you leave your room, don't leave your empty hangers on the bed or the cabin steward takes them away thinking you don't want them. It was few days before I realised what was happening.) The only problem was the dressing table. Almost the whole surface is taken up by the TV. Hopefully in your larger cabin, storage will be better. (The bathroom had a corner cabinet with three shelves and there was a handy long shelf uner the sink)
3. Our single balcony on Deck 4 was perfect as, I think, it may have been a little deeper than the ones above, but it was still totally private. A double balcony would be even better for space obviously, but I don't know how they compare to other ships. The ones along the side of the ship look fine, but the ones at the stern don't seem to have any privacy.