Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 2nd, 2004, 06:35 PM
Eve

Default Westerdam Questions

We recently booked a cruise for next September on the Westerdam. I'm now reading reviews and information that have me concerned.

If anyone has been on the Westerdam or the other Vista class ships, can you tell me:

1) Are there a self-service laundries available (like a laundromat)?
2) What is the closet and drawer situation? I'm hearing there is little or no drawer space, and closet space isn't great either.
3) Are the double balcony cabins (whatever they're called) smaller than similar class cabins on other Holland ships?

I've been on the Statendam and Volendam as well. Any comparisons you can give would be appreciated. We'll be in a V class cabin (that's the new designation for the double balcony rooms. Not sure what the old term for it is/was). This is comparable to what we had on the other two ships.

Thanks for any comments you may have.

Eve
SF Bay Area
Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2004, 11:00 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Westerdam Questions

Hi Eve,

I can only answer your questions partly.

1. There's no self-service laundry on the Westerdam

2. We were just in a "B" class room and like you, I'd read about poor storage space, but it was fine, just, for the contents of two large suitcases and two cabin size ones. The only drawers however, were two small ones on each side of the bed, but the rest of our stuff just got stacked on shelves in the single wardrobe, or got hung up in the two double wardrobes. (Tip, when you leave your room, don't leave your empty hangers on the bed or the cabin steward takes them away thinking you don't want them. It was few days before I realised what was happening.) The only problem was the dressing table. Almost the whole surface is taken up by the TV. Hopefully in your larger cabin, storage will be better. (The bathroom had a corner cabinet with three shelves and there was a handy long shelf uner the sink)

3. Our single balcony on Deck 4 was perfect as, I think, it may have been a little deeper than the ones above, but it was still totally private. A double balcony would be even better for space obviously, but I don't know how they compare to other ships. The ones along the side of the ship look fine, but the ones at the stern don't seem to have any privacy.

Hope I've been some help.

Una
Old December 3rd, 2004, 11:03 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Westerdam Questions

Me again. I forgot to say, there are also two wall cupboards that hold a lot more than you think and there was plenty room under the beds for our large, hard, Samsonite cases.

U
Old December 3rd, 2004, 06:09 PM
Eve

Default Re: Re: Re: Westerdam Questions

Thanks, Una! I appreciate your input. It sounds like it's maybe not as bad as some people were making it out to be.
Old December 5th, 2004, 10:39 AM
thulewx

There are also two drawers under the bed. True, they're mostly taken up by bedspreads... and there may be one under your love seat - some have them, some don't...
Old December 6th, 2004, 02:03 PM
General Max

My suggetion, if you haven't already done so is to book an "S" category suite. These provide the most room and include free laundry. All cabins are slightly smaller.

General Max