Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 12th, 2004, 08:13 PM
kjd

Default B.Y.O.B aboard Oosterdam?

We are just about to book Mexico on Oosterdam...We would like to bring some wine and spirits to enjoy on our balcony. I would love to hear about any recent experiences with this as the stated HAL policy seems very strict.. We are apprehensive...

Thank you..
Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Admiral

Default Re: B.Y.O.B aboard Oosterdam?

You can bring wine and/or champagne, but unless you hide your spirits in your checked luggage, it is not allowed. In other words, don't put it in your carry-on luggage as they will confiscate it when it goes through the scanner.-......it will be returned when you disembark.
Old December 18th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Familiar Face

Actually, contact them via their 800# and ask. I am under the impression it is allowed to bring 1 bottle per passenger..
Also ask about their "wine" packages.. They have a package where you can buy them cheaper.. I think the smallest package is for 3 bottles
Terri
Old December 18th, 2004, 09:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

On the Volendam in November, we had no problem bringing wine and champagne in our hand luggage, and even buying more in ports. We did, however, buy some coffee liquer in Dominica and it was held until the night before disembarkation and delivered to our cabin so we could pack it then.

So, it seems to me that HAL's policy is that wine and champagne are o.k., but liquor needs to either be sent through in your luggage (wrapped carefully!) or, if purchased on shore, will be kept until the last night.
Old December 25th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Beginner

Just got off a Westerdam cruise 12/12/04 and they confiscated my case of beer in Nassau and my bottle of Rum in St. Marteen. Guess thats the New Policy as when I went on Oosterdam last Dec ('03).. they let me pass right through with the same type of liquor.
Old December 31st, 2004, 09:20 AM
Mike in Pgh

I can understand their reasons for confiscating it (don't agree with all of them, but ...)
for one, profit margins are tight and they make good $$ on the drinks (wine and Bubbly, not so much), also makes it easier to limit consumption by unruley pax and last but no least, how do we know that it is really vodka in your bottle and not something more sinister?
Old December 31st, 2004, 09:33 PM
big apple

Default Re: Re: B.Y.O.B aboard Oosterdam?

Would youplease tell me what is more sinister in your bottle so that I may pack on my next cruise in 2 weeks.You are missing the boat with your comments.
Old December 31st, 2004, 11:38 PM
Bruce Chafkin

Passengers and crew have often used water and alcohol containers to try to smuggle illegal drugs in liquid form onto - and off of - cruise ships.
TSA and Coast Guard Personnel are concerned that terrorists might try to pack a liquid explosive in beverage bottles brought aboard.
Both might be classified as sinister.
Old January 12th, 2005, 07:18 AM
hombre

as i understand it, hal's policy is that wine and beer may be brought aboard for stateroom use, but that 'hard' spirits cannot. i found this policy also on a celebrity cruise in october, 2003. that said, hal room service will deliver a spirits package to your stateroom at a reasonable price. i drink scotch, and the package included a large bottle of cutty sark and three cans of soda; i think the price was $27 -- not much more if any than i would pay at a local store ashore.

ps. i also encountered the same policy aboard ncl's norway as far back as 2003. hal used to allow passengers to purchase alcohol for stateroom use in their boutique with a small tax added. i don't know why they abandoned this policy -- probably for several reasons -- and i was at first concerned. but, not to worry, they new arrangement is okay with me. besides, it is a vacation; i don't want to smuggle bottles of booze in my suitcase.
Old January 19th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Passenger

If you drink clear liquors, such as Vodka or Gin .... just place it in an empty water bottle