Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 29th, 2005, 01:10 PM

Default Has anyone been on the Ryndam lately?

Has anyone been on the Ryndam lately? Im going on the Ryndam in May and just found out that they redid the Ryndam. Does it look ok? Is the food better? Is the alternative dining at the buffet area stay open longer than 8 pm? Is the ice cream the same?
Do you like the way the Ryndam is now or how it was before?

I was on the Ryndam two years ago and loved it. I hope that they did not ruin it with the new things.

Thanks
Brian Lashchuk
Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Has anyone been on the Ryndam lately?

Check out HAL's web site and you will see what they have done. Click on Fleet and then click on Ryndam. There's lots to see there.

Don't know if the Lido buffet stays open after 8pm but doubt it.

Friends were on the Ryndam recently and loved the new Explorations Cafe. Their kids also enjoyed the Oasis.
Old January 31st, 2005, 09:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

We sailed on the Ryndam in December, from San Diego to the Sea of Cortez. Unfortunately, we had a very bad experience. On the 4th day, the toilets in many of the staterooms became inoperative. This problem persisted for almost 48 hours. During this time, the strong smell of human waste permeated the hallway. While I can understand that the Ryndam is an older ship and that things can happen, we were very disapponted with the attitude of the Front Office staff. Numerous calls to complain about the problem, met with indifference, i.e. "we will get the problem fixed when we get it fixed"..........."we can't do anything about the odor". In addition, a few other minor incidents of staff discourtesy were also observed during the fire drill and in the main dining room.

I have sailed once before with H.A.L.; a great cruise on Ryndam's sister ship, the Statendam. I have also booked a group cruise for 42 people on the Oosterdam in October (booked prior to the Ryndam cruise). I am hoping my experience with the Ryndam and its staff was an isolated incident. In any event, I know I'll never sail on the Ryndam again!

Xpedition - 06/2005
Oosterdam - 10/2005
Ryndam - 12/2004

Tahitian Princess - 12/2005
Oosterdam - 10/2005
Xpedition - 06/2005
Ryndam - 12/2004
Radiance of the Seas - 05/2004
Statendam - 12/2003
Vision of the Seas - 12/2003
Amazing Grace - 03/2003
Carnival Spirit - 10/2002
Sea Princess - 09/2001
Ocean Princess - 01/2001
Renaissance 3 - 05/2000
Sun Princess - 03/2000
Old February 4th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Passenger

We just got back from the Panama Canal cruise on the Ryndam. We had previously sailed on the Statendam, her sister ship. The ship looks great, but the theater is very poorly designed for seating; it's hard to see the stage from many areas of the room, both up and downstairs. The food is okay, but not great, in the dining room and terrible in the Lido. We had a bad virus hit the ship about 2 days out. Over half the passengers got sick. In fact, we were denied entry to Jamaica and had to come into Ft. Lauderdale one day early, so they could clean the ship! Passengers were treated very poorly in this mess.
The ice cream is still good, but there is now a coffee bar where you must purchase specialty coffees (cappucino is free at lunch and dinner, but only in the dining room--when it's open). We had a veranda room with no problems, but we heard from MANY passengers about bad plumbing problems that were never fixed throughout this long cruise, as well as dirty blankets and rooms that weren't cleaned up very well. With all the sickness on board, the plumbing should have been fixed immediately.
We will never sail on Ryndam again, and maybe not on HAL. No word of the virus was ever in the news, though it was really terrible, with hundreds sick. All of us were "dumped" in Ft. Lauderdale one day early. Those of us who booked our own air were given 20 minutes on the ship phone to rebook everything and to notify others as needed. It wasn't enough time; the limited phone lines were tied up for hours. It was a terrible mess! No one would be put up in hotels unless they were international travelers! The best news about this cruise is that we didn't get sick.
Old February 4th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Has anyone been on the Ryndam lately?

Jancookz: Sorry to hear that the plumbing problems and staff indifference/discourtesy was not an isolated incident on our Ryndam cruise. I wrote a letter to HAL customer relations. After waiting a 6 weeks with no response, my travel agent called on my behalf. I received a letter within a week..................your basic "too bad, so sad, we'll do better next time" response. As indicated in my prior post, prior to my Ryndam trip I had booked a cruise on the Oosterdam for myself and 42 other people. You'd think H.A.L. would be a little more concerned about losing a customer who has brought them over $50,000.00 in business, over the last two years (I realize this is just peanuts to them). Not that I need their charity, but it would have been nice to have been offered a small discount/shipboard credit or upgrade on my next cruise. I'd cancel the Oosterdam cruise in a minute if it would not impact many of those in my group. Besides, H.A.L. would love to see me cancel...........the balcony cabins I booked at less than $800 p.p. are now going for $1,150.00. I'm beginning to wonder if this change in staff attitude has anything to do with staff no longer having to "earn" their gratuities.

X-pedition - 06/2005
Oosterdam - 10/2005 (I'll keep my fingers crossed)
Ryndam - 12/2004

Tahitian Princess - 12/2005
Oosterdam - 10/2005
Xpedition - 06/2005
Ryndam - 12/2004
Radiance of the Seas - 05/2004
Statendam - 12/2003
Vision of the Seas - 12/2003
Amazing Grace - 03/2003
Carnival Spirit - 10/2002
Sea Princess - 09/2001
Ocean Princess - 01/2001
Renaissance 3 - 05/2000
Sun Princess - 03/2000
Old February 8th, 2005, 11:57 AM
JaniceB

Default Re: Re: Re: Has anyone been on the Ryndam lately?

Did you enjoy any of the SOE upgrades on the ship? I was wondering about the culinary demonstrations and the wine tasting. Did they cost additional money and can you make reservations?
Old March 6th, 2005, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the information. I had a feeling that it was going to go down hill. I wish that they did not put all the kids stuff on the ship. I like going on Holland America because they don't have so many kids like the other cruise lines do. It just sucks that Holland America is trying to get more kids aboard.

Well, I go in may and I will tell you what I think of the new Ryndam.

Thanks
Brian
Old March 25th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Passenger

I have not been on it yet, I have heard that a lot of people don't care for the new things.
Old March 26th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Delores

I have written letters to both RC & Princess, after a cruise, & always gotten $200 off a future cruise. I used them except for the last time. You would think they would want your future business??!!
Old March 26th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Delores

By the way, there is a current (March) review of Oosterdam on cruisecritic.com.
Old April 15th, 2005, 01:25 AM
Genee

This will be my first cruise (5/8 - 5/15/2005) given to me for my 70th Birthday from my four blessed children!!!! I've read and re-read many articles on "cruises", specifically HAL and the ms Ryndam. My son and his new wife took the ms Ryndam out of San Diego in late December 2002, for they Honeymoon, to Cabo, etc.! They LOVED IT! And from what I understand it's even better now! Of course, my information is from the ads and talking to my travel agent, but at this point in time ...... I'd row the boat, if I had to!!!! I can't wait and just being able to go on a cruise, finally seeing Alaska ... well, what a TRIP! I'll try to avoid the "kids stuff" as well! In the meantime, I hope you do enjoy your cruise and I shall "post-a-note" upon my return. Most sincerely, Genee
Old April 15th, 2005, 06:27 PM
tennytine

I just returned from a cruise on the Ryndam and I will never cruise that ship again. Now dont get me wrong I had a wonderful time,as we all know our time is what we make it. there were plumbing problems all over the ship, we wont talk about the oder in some areas. they could not get the glass enclosure over the pool working for 2 days. they served the same menu in the Lido dinnig area everyday,and the food was plain, as for the Rotterdam dinning room the food was good but I have had better on Carnival, the dinnig room waiter was not very friendly. The bar staff was great. This was my first cruise on this ship, but I was not impressed with the signiture upgrades.
Old May 10th, 2005, 07:53 PM

I went on the Ryndam on May 5, 2005, from San Diego to Vancouver. This was my 23rd cruise and 4th with Holland America.

We were up graded from an inside cabin to outside cabin. The cabins are very big compared to Princess cabins. You have a bath tub in your bathroom though, I would find it hard for older passengers to get in and out of it. The cabins were kept up very nice. One of the improvements that Holland America put in the cabins were new beds. They are very confutable. I think it was the sleep therapy beds. Also, you now have new plasma TV's and DVD's in your cabin. You can check out movies from the library for a $3 charge. Or bring your own that's what I did. It was very nice having a dvd in the cabin.

Food in the Lido restaurant: breakfast was regular cafeteria style. They had an Eggs to order service, omelet station, precooked waffles, french toast, and pancakes. The food basically was the same every day. Lunch in my opinion was just fair. They had a nice salad bar and you could get fresh stir fry or pasta. But the buffet line items were tasteless and they did not have much of anything. Not much variety. You did have a choice of turkey or ham sandwich that never changed. Holland America has really gone down hill for food. You use to be to have a ton of choices to make your own sandwich. You can get ice cream but they don't have the good waffle cones anymore and the scoops you get are small. The deserts use to be very big and the last time I was on the Ryndam they had different cakes that you could get. Its not like that anymore. The food was ok, they need more sections.
One thing that I always ate at was the taco bar. You could make your own taco with what ever you wanted on it. You could get a hamburgers and hot dogs but was not that good. The hamburgers were already made and they just heated it up for a min. The taco bar is a must.
In the dinning room I thought the service was great. The food is still pretty good, but they have made the portions a lot smaller since I was on it two years ago. Again, they need more things on the menu.
You could eat dinner in the buffet, but it was only open to 7:30 pm and they had the same things what you would get in the main dinning room. They really need to kept this open to at least to 10pm and again need more items.
Room Service was ok. It use to be a lot better. Though, it was still pretty good for a late night snack.
At 11pm was the late night buffet. Again, they need more to choose from.
The food was ok, its was a lot better two years ago. I think Princess food is better and has a lot more sections.

Before Holland America changed, you were able to get free Espresso, Caffe Latte and Cappuccino with big cookies. Now at the Java Cafe you have to pay for it. It doesn't cost much but its the principle behind it.

I really liked how you could play basketball and tennis, shuffle board and a few other things. The only bad thing was they always took in the basket balls and tennis balls after 6pm. So if you did not got to the entertainment show, you did not have much to do after 6pm. Everything closes so early including food. The activities were very limited compared to other ships we have been on. The ship was completely dead at night.

With this new change for Holland America, the only big improvement that I see is the TVs and dvds. The food I thought got worse along with the portions. You now have to pay for your
Espresso, Caffe Latte. And you don't have people bringing you free drinks on the life boat deck that you use to see. Their is a lot of things that use to be free now you have to pay for. Holland America sure has change since last I sailed with them two years ago. We did have good service beside our cabin attendant not making are room until after 1pm, but now you have to tip $10 a day. Holland America is charging more for their cruises because for the new so called look, The good thing is the beds and TVs, the rest you now have to pay for.

I enjoyed myself on this cruise, though I don't think I will take Holland America on a 7 day cruise. I rather go on Princess or celebrity. I really don't think Holland America is a premium line anymore. I really see a big change since the last time I was on Holland America like nicking and dimming. If only I could take Holland America ships with Princess food and Royal Caribbean entertainment.

I was not impressed with the signature upgrades. I don't think its wroth paying so much more.