Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 2nd, 2005, 03:19 PM
James Talbot

Default Maasdam Jan 26, 9:10pm

Myself and several family members were on the Maasday sailing of January 16 out of Norfolk, Virginia. The cruise was very good except for some heating problems the first three days out and seas a little rougher that we liked. After several GREAT days in the Carribean the ship headed back for Norfolk and COLDER weather. The evening before pulling back into Norfolk at about 9:10 PM a strange occurance happened on the ship where there was a LOUD BANG such as the ship was hit or had hit something? To our knowledge there was never an explanation as to what happened? For other persons on that sailing, did you experence the event of January 19? Did anyone ever hear what happened? We arrived back in Norfolk four hours late, but without an explanation of what occured?
Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2005, 04:00 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to TheSeaCruzer Send a message via Yahoo to TheSeaCruzer
Default Re: Maasdam Jan 26, 9:10pm

Mr. Talbot,

Donít be alarmed. We have had this occurrence several times. Most prevalent on the Zenith when we were returning from Bermuda. As waves hit the bow of the ship they some times dent in the metal plating, causing loud bangs and rough shimmers throughout the ship. Ships such as Maasdam and her sisters have bows that are lower to the water than most. Thus when a larger than normal wave hits one gets the loud bang. No worries its just life at sea!

Bonvoyage,
Seth

Carnival Spirit - 4.03
Radiance of the Seas - 5.02
Grand Princess - 6.01
Ocean Princess - 4.00 (IS)
Carnival Triumph - 7.99 (I)
Mercury - 798
Zenith - 7.96
Dreamward - 7.94
Fantasy - 4.91
Old February 2nd, 2005, 04:18 PM
James Talbot

Default Re: Re: Maasdam Jan 26, 9:10pm

Thanks Seth,

This was my 39th cruise and the first time we have ever experenced anything like the event on the evening of January 26. It would be good PR if the captain would let the passangers know that everything is OK.

Several of the people in our party are in their 80's including my mother whom is 83. This was her first time of getting scared. She has been on 30 cruises (I think?) and has two more booked.

Thanks for your feedback

JIM