Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 11th, 2005, 06:02 PM
CruisISLife

Default Suite Perks, Sailing On cat S

What are the perks u get for sailing on a Cat S on Zuirdedam? Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2005, 10:38 AM
oldmaid

Default Re: Suite Perks, Sailing On cat S

It's great, you get to hangout in the Neptune lounge, drink free coffee, eat free cheeseballs and talk about the poor people who didn't pay an extra thousand dollars for free coffee and cheese.
Old March 12th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

S suites are beautiful cabins. Just one large room with a seating area, but nice.

The Neptune Lounge is for S and better suites, and also offers concierge service for making reservations for you, and arranging priority tender service, where needed.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 14th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Charliesmom

We really enjoyed our S suite and its perks on the Westerdam last December - so much so that we booked again for next December.

One of the perks that was not mentioned is free laundry and dry cleaning. We took advantage of this last December.

We also had a deal which we got through American Express Platinum Card where we got a shipboard credit, a bottle of champagne and dinner the first night at the Pinnacle Grill which we enjoyed immensely. We had an early reservation (6 pm) and had lovely service. We asked to be seated in the outside of the restaurant beside the atrium. The music from below wafted up and it was very pleasant.

If you are thinking of booking an S suite and like a large verandah, try one of the aft suites. The room is smaller than a regular S suite and further from the Neptune lounge, but the size of the balcony was phenomenal. Our S aft balcony had seating for 9 and we attended a party in an aft suite with 50 other people and were not crowded. Even though we were aft, we were still able to take advantage of the Neptune lounge and the concierges who were delightful, and take care of all of your issues, whether it is a maintenance problem or reservations for shore excursions or reservations for the Pinnacle Grill. S suites also get a bottle of wine from the captain and an invitation to a party in the Neptune Lounge, as well as a suite lunch in the Crow's Nest.

At least that's what we got last December. I hope we still have the same next December.

Roberta
Old March 15th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Candy

From my review:

Suite Perks: Cat S and above are afforded the use of the Concierges (whose office is in the Neptune Lounge) who will happily assist you with reservations for Odyssey dining, excursion reservations, account transactions and anything else you may need. You will also have:

* Complimentary bottle of champagne (ours was a California Chase-Limogère Brut)
* Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning
* Feather pillows (on request)
* DVD and CD players and complimentary rentals
* Whirlpool bath in cabin
* Complimentary breakfast and lunch in the Odyssey throughout the cruise (may now be discontinued)
* Fluffy terrycloth robes
* Corsage and boutonniere on the first formal night
* Priority tender passes when at anchor
* Umbrella and binoculars to use during the cruise
* Complimentary high tea and hors d'oeuvres served in cabin daily (upon request)
Old March 18th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Captain

All "S" aned"PS" pax on HAL ships automatically have 'tender passes." They used to deliver a small card to our cabin on the evening prior to a tender port. Now, the ID cards are slightly different color and crew can identify them as "S" or "PS" and serve as tender passes.
Old March 28th, 2005, 01:17 PM
SusieO

Oldmaid - We will drink our complimentary coffee in the Neptune lounge, knowing that most of the people in the regular Veranda cabins paid more for their tiny cabins than we did! We managed to get our suite for a fantastic price and will enjoy the extra space more than anything!
Old March 30th, 2005, 03:32 PM
1stmate

It seems another perk is the free use of the wheel chair or walker, so many of the perk pax needed mobility help.
Old April 2nd, 2005, 06:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

We're in a S suite on 4/16/05 Zui and neither DH or I need assistance with mobility! We got a fabulous deal - less than many balcony cabins. I'm not sure what to make of 1stmate's comments (they seem somewhat silly to me!) and less than helpful to the OP. I find these types of comments personally offensive. We opted for a mid-ship cabin very near the Neptune. I'll gladly post a review.
Old May 6th, 2005, 10:23 AM
familycruiser.

Default Re: Re: Suite Perks, Sailing On cat S

What I want to know is how a Lin and Susie O got such great deals on the "S" suites? Did you book very early? Very late? Who did you book with?
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:09 AM
SusieO

Default Re: Re: Re: Suite Perks, Sailing On cat S

We booked in January for a December Eastern Caribbean Sailing. The Suites have almost doubled in cost now. We used cruisesonly to book and I guess hit it at a lucky time. We've also managed to get added a $100 shipboard credit as well. Can't wait, as we've never been able to get a Suite before - normally balcony cabins.
Old May 28th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

I keep reading about all these great deals people get, but they don't say what they paid. When someone says they paid less for an S suite than many pax paid for a balcony cabin what are they comparing it to....the PUBLISHED LISTED price for a balcony cabin??? I've never heard of ANYONE paying the listed price.

I suggest if someone's going to be telling everyone that they got such a great deal...tell us how much you paid...including taxes. Lots of people NEVER include the taxes in their addition...like they don't come out of your pocket or something!

So, come on everyone...if you're going to be bragging about your great deals...give us some numbers!

Old May 29th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Passenger

I booked a cat S aft corner for just under $2600 for TWO. This is for September.

HAL Zuiderdam 09/2005
NCL Sun 01/2005
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas 09/2004
Carnival Legend 01/2004
NCL Majesty 04/2003
Old May 29th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Passenger

This included all taxes, port charges.

HAL Zuiderdam 09/2005
NCL Sun 01/2005
Carnival Legend 01/2004
NCL Majesty 04/2003
Old May 29th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Admiral

Are you sure it's for TWO? That sounds far too inexpensive for any S Suite. Are you sailing on the Zuiderdam in Sept? If so, I just checked HAL's web site and all the S suites are prices at just above $2000. PER person.

Did you book through an on-line travel agancy to get this price?
Old May 29th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Excellent price. I paid $3500 for my S suite for two and that includes all charges, taxes and trip insurance...and I thought I did pretty good!

I don't need flights so it's cruise only. I don't generally shop around and I never book online. When I want to sail, I just pick a time I want to go, choose a ship, pick the suite I want and book it.

I don't know if we can say what agency we book at on this site, but if I didn't get such a good deal it doesn't matter anyway! If anyone is interested in who I book with...just email me.

Old May 29th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Familiar Face

I just booked a catergory "S" suite for Sept. on th eZuiderdam. Ours is an aft corner suite. Price including taxes,insurance and port fees was $2900.00 total for the both of us.
Old May 30th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

Greetings
We've been planning our 30th anniversary for sometime and do enjoy aft balcony staterooms (another cruise line). This may be our 1st HAL cruise and I'd appreciate knowing if the aft cabins spoken of here (1) include a balcony and (2) is is omni directional or does it "wrap" around the stern corner?

Everyone certainly make the S-staterooms sound wonderful

Willy
Old June 2nd, 2005, 09:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Willy,
Go to the HAL site and look at the deck plans where your cabin is and you can pretty much see what the balcony is like.

Old June 2nd, 2005, 11:34 PM
Candy

The Cat S suites on the Zuiderdam (and all Vista class HAL ships) have verandas that are 3-4 times bigger than the side suites, and the ones on the corners wrap around. They're furnished with two occasional chairs with ottomans, two lounge chairs, small table and dining table with 4 chairs. On deck 6 there are two handicap-accessible cabins that only face the rear, but they are so large you still get an outstanding view.

Vista Wake Cabin Verandas Side View:
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeANW7Jq0as2TFbg

Zuidy Cat S Wake Corner Photos:
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?...s2TEGA&notag=1

Zuidy Cat S Wake Hcp Photos with view of Cat As:
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeANW7Jq0as2TCtA

Candy <-- waiting for Zuidy V
Old June 3rd, 2005, 02:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

WOW, if you got that pricing for a S suite that is great. We are paying a lot more on the Ryndam for our Cat S in September.
Maybe I should switch TA's.

Old June 3rd, 2005, 07:04 PM
Passenger

Yes, that is for TWO!

HAL Zuiderdam 09/2005
NCL Sun 01/2005
Carnival Legend 01/2004
NCL Majesty 04/2003
Old June 3rd, 2005, 07:08 PM
Passenger

That was through Sam's Club travel.

HAL Zuiderdam 09/2005
NCL Sun 01/2005
Carnival Legend 01/2004
NCL Majesty 04/2003
Old June 5th, 2005, 11:29 AM
marinjoe

I was cracking up reading the comments about the suite category on the Holland ships. We just returned from a Holland Cruise on the new Westerdam in a "S" suite cabin and while the space was excellent the value was not. Sure you get great space and a large balcony. But that is all your get in terms of real value. How much free coffee and silly pastries to make up the difference from the lower and much less expensive cabins? Forget the dry cleaning and laundry. They lost ours for two days and only after going to the front desk and threatened to show up at the dining room in my boxer briefs did they find the laundry. The poor cabin steward was frazzled and worked to death with no assistant for the whole week. You would think that suite passengers get some assistant cabin support? The butler service is a "pay for option" and not automatic. Read the fine print. All in all for the price we paid over the standard outside cabin with balcony it was not worth it. We got the same service and food that all passengers get including those who booked an inside cabin. (Yes there was a fancy lunch the last day of the cruise...stuffy and weird) if you go be sure to spend some time in the reserved lounge so you can hear some outstanding phony money conversations by people are trying to be pretentious.
After a recent cruise on Crystal where the service and food was outstanding, Holland America and I will never cross paths again. Remember it is Carnival with a different name on the ship.
Old June 6th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Ed Barkin

Hi guys --

I checked with TA's on both the East & West coasts, and was unable to get too much better than the Mariner prices.

I checked with Sam's Club and Walmart, and they could not come close to some of the prices being cited for the 'S' cat. cabin.

I checked all the sailings for the Zuid. in September, and the closest I could find to a posted price of $2900 for two people, was the SS Cat. cabin.

Please, I'm not doubting your prices, since I would dearly love to share in them. Let us know the ship name; cruise length and your E-Mail address. Also, are these prices only for the aft corner S cabins?

Peace,
Shoalhaven
Old June 7th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Dear Ed:

I cruised 4/16/05 Zui in an S cat and paid approx. $3100 for the two of us. I worked with a great travel agent at VTG. I booked 10/1/04 so maybe the pricing reflected how far out we booked - I don't know.....

I'd cruise any of the Vista ships in a heartbeat! As to Marinjoe's sarcastic comments about pretentious cruisers in the Neptune Lounge they are offensive and uncalled for.
Old June 8th, 2005, 10:33 AM
tokathy

Default Suite Perks, Sailing On cat S

Do they have free cappuccino in the Neptune Lounge? What was meant by a Butler being optional at an additional fee?
Old June 8th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Ed B.

They have a wonderful machine in the Neptune lounge that enables you to press a button for your favorite coffee, including cappuccino. It is quite good.

I have not yet heard or experienced the fact that HAL is offering butler service in either the PS or the S category cabins. They certainly would not go below that.

Ed.
Old June 8th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Shoalhaven

Thanks for your comments Lin,

Just one more question -- was your cabin one of the aft corner suites?

Ed B.
Old June 13th, 2005, 11:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

You all ! that are getting "S " Suites for Two and three thousand dollars are they 4 day cruises? Hal must be paying people to take the inside cabins. I am on Westerdam 10/12/05 for 25 days $16,000. Plus $3400. Bus. air and I thought I was getting a deal. I pay more for air to my S suite than some of you pay for the suite. This will be my second time in S7132