Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 17th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Sharon Coray

Default Statendam

Does anyone know if the Statendam has been upgraded in the last several years?
We are going to go on the Sept. cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii. We went on this cruise a few years ago and the ship was scheduled to go into dry dock after our cruise, it needed it badly. We are hoping that it really did get upgrade.
Sharon Coray
Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2005, 12:47 PM
emily2

Default Re: Statendam

Sharon,

the Statendam has part of the SOE enhancements now. We were aboard her in January, and she had the new bedding, mirrors, and robes. She is scheduled to go into a major dry dock in early April, I think, so she should be in good shape for your trip.

Enjoy!
Old March 19th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

The Statendam better not be in dry dock in early April.....lol
I leave April 5 lol....return the 20th....
Chalk up any 'old ' stuff to european class, and finery lol.....
Old March 19th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

The Statendam better not be in dry dock in early April.....lol
I leave April 5 lol....return the 20th....
Chalk up any 'old ' stuff to european class, and finery lol.....
Old March 19th, 2005, 02:44 PM
emily2

Default Re: Re: Statendam

Make that late April -- 24 April to 12 May -- for extensive additions/renovations.
Old March 20th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Dixie Lee

Then she should be in great shape for our Alaska cruise on May 27th! This is indeed great news. Have heard this going around about being put in dry dock, but this is the first time I have seen any dates.
Thanks, Dixie Lee
Old May 25th, 2005, 01:28 PM
joyann

I'm going on the same cruise (Sep. 16). Yes, the Statendam has been upgraded (it is supposed to be complete by Spring 2005). It has the Greenhouse spa, etc. There is a .pdf of the upgrade schedule on the HAL web site. I wrote to them recently and asked if the laundry facilities were still intact on the older ships and received a very nice note confirming that they are. So, we can still do our wash if we want to (on a 17 day cruise).
Old May 27th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Marcy Peel

Hi
We just came back from Alaska aboard the Statendam. First trip out of dry dock, upgraded. We had alot of problems but they should will be ironed out by the time you go. Food was awesome!
Old May 27th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Frogso

I know it's not that important in the grand scheme of things but did you notice if the Statendam had feather pillows? I'm trying to decide whether or not to bring my own. I'm booked for October 5th.
Old June 5th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sharon, I was on the Statendam in September of last year for my Alaska cruise. At that time, they had upgraded all of the linens and bedding and the ship seemed in good repair. The towels, robes, sheets, etc are marvelous, soft, excellent quality pure Egyptian cotton and the mattresses and pillows are HEAVENLY! Frogso, I think the pillows were indeed feather pillows...I could be wrong, but in any case they were fantastic.

Old June 6th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Dixie Lee

Just got off the Statendam this past Friday, June 3rd. I don't know what the ship was like before refurb, but she is in great shape now - spotlessly clean, classy, brassy but not gaudy decor throughout. Deck chairs and paddings are plentiful and look brand new. Beds were wonderful. We had two soft pillows and two firm pillows - we were told we could get all hard or all soft, just had to ask and swap them. Had the Greenhouse Spa -did not use it but had plenty of selections. Explorations Cafe was brand new and is great - try out the chairs with the headphones - lay on them and listen to music of your choosing - soooooo comfortable. Great selection of newpapers, magazines, DVD's - also the lattes were wonderful (reasonably priced). Self-service laundry - did not use but lots of people did - equipment appeared to be brand new or close to it. Had the new hair dryers mounted on the wall in the baths - did not care for them - no power - great for clearing the steam off of the mirror (!). Traditional hair dryers available in the drawer in the vanity. Flat screen TV's, DVD players - (good selection to rent in the Explorations Cafe - complimentary for suites, otherwise I think they were $3.00/day). Our sixth cruise, first on HAL - needless to say, we were impressed.
Dixie Lee
Old June 10th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Frogso

Dixie Lee,
Was this a stateroom or a suite? I'm sailing in October and can't wait. It will be our first time sailing HAL too.
Old June 14th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Dixie Lee

Default Re: Re: Re: Statendam

We were in a veranda suite on Deck 9. Absolutely wonderful. It was a splurge for us, but well worth the money.
Dixie Lee
Old August 1st, 2005, 11:24 AM
Dale Cary

It came out of drydock this spring, before heading to Alaska. The ship is beautiful.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 04:19 PM
Tony Geraldi

I'm on the same cruise. This will be my 3rd sailing on the Statendam. See you onboard. I have my wife with me who I would have just married on September 10th. We are really looking forward to a great honeymoon cruise.
Old August 8th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Joan Day

Alaska here I come, leaving on 8/12 from Vancouver. I will turn 50 on this cruise.