Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 21st, 2005, 09:28 PM
KMK

Default HAL..Will they confiscate Liquor??

We have cruised with Princess 8 times and have always packed gin or rum in plastic bottles, zip lock bags and towels. I read a question about it being OK to bring beer and wine on HAL. We always buy a bottle of wine with dinner but for cocktails in the room prior to, we do our own. It's our first time with HAL, has anyone ever had plastic bottles in their luggage removed??
Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2005, 09:32 PM
big apple

Default Re: HAL..Will they confiscate Liquor??

Have never heard of booze being removed from checked luggage and we have cruised on some 30 plus cruises on all lines,.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 04:18 PM
hombre

hal, and most lines, might confiscate hard liquor if carried in your carry-on baggage. but the issue is bigger, that is, how cheap can you get? you pay for a premium cruise and try to save a few bucks by bootlegging? really.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 04:33 PM
Capt Matt

It's not a matter of being cheap. Some ships don't always offer a particular brand liquor or beer. Plus it's nice to be able to make a drink in your stateroom and enjoy it on your balcony without having to go back and forth to the bar. It is also more cost effective. Cruise lines get top dollar for their drinks, a six of Coronas will easily cost $24.00 on board. And when you spread that out over a week or so it's not uncommon to have a bar bill of $600-$800 for your tasty beverages. Believe me, there will plenty of opportunities to pay for drinks during shows, dinner, by the pool, etc. Treat yourself and bring some booze for yourself and save some money. Will they confiscate? I never have had a problem in the past but use common sense. Most will turn a "blind-eye" if you sneak on a bottle of rum or something. Don't try to bring onboard a vat of wine or ten cases of beer and expect them not to care. Also make sure you use plastic flaskes and not glass for obvious reasons. True story: my friend was so paranoid that she was going to get caught sneaking booze she emptied out and cleaned (really well) some shampoo bottles and put rum in them. Just make sure when you shower you don't shampoo your hair with Captain Morgan by accident! !!
Old March 23rd, 2005, 07:42 PM
big apple

Default Re: Re: HAL..Will they confiscate Liquor??

Agree with your comments 100% and in the old days drinks were only a dollar.how things have changed thru the yrs.They have to make their money somewhere.Not at my expense.Have a cool one on me.