Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 22nd, 2005, 09:33 PM
teenytine

Default Is Ms.Ryndam Sick

Im knew here and I have a question, I booked a cruise on ms. Ryndam for 4/5 Mexico/Sea of Cortez for 10 days. I came across an article about the Ryndam which sent me to the C.D.C. site, Where I discovered they had a 200 pasenger outbreak of nurovirus in January, should I be concerned?? This is my 2nd cruise, the first was Carnival Pride and It was a wonderful experience, My husband is 41 and I am 35, we are not heavy party people, Will we fit in with the Hal crowd?
Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2005, 11:12 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Is Ms.Ryndam Sick

I am scheduled to be on the same cruise with you. I am a bit concerned too. That would put a damper on my 30th birthday!!
Old March 22nd, 2005, 11:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Nope.. at least not any more concerned than you'd be at getting Noro virus at home.

These outbreaks are fairly common in all sorts of areas... schools, offices, nursing homes, and even hospitals.

They seem to get more media coverage when the occurances are on ships. After the outbreak the ship was sanitized from top to bottom, and if there hasn't been an occurance since it means they did their job.

There's always some chance of a new outbreak if someone sick brings it on the ship, but I'd go assuming it won't happen.

Old March 23rd, 2005, 02:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

We sailed on the Ryndam last December (Sea of Cortez - San Diego). I won't disgust you with the details, but the plumbing in our's and many of our neighbor's staterooms quit working. The problem persisted, on and off (mostly on) for over 48 hours. Numerous calls to the Purser's Office were met with indifference, i.e. the problem "will get fixed when it gets fixed!" and "there is nothing we can do about the smell in the hallway." While I can understand that older ships like the Ryndam can be susceptible to problems like this, I can't understand, and was very disappointed with the attitude of the staff. My concern is that prior to this cruise, I had already booked another cruise on the Oosterdam for 45 people (10/05). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my experience on the Ryndam was just a fluke. I'm not quite ready to give up on H.A.L., but I don't think I'd ever sail on the Ryndam again!

X-pedition - 06/2005
Oosterdam - 10/2005
Tahitian Princess - 12/2005
Ryndam - 12/2004

Tahitian Princess - 12/2005
Oosterdam - 10/2005
Xpedition - 06/2005
Ryndam - 12/2004
Radiance of the Seas - 05/2004
Statendam - 12/2003
Vision of the Seas - 12/2003
Amazing Grace - 03/2003
Carnival Spirit - 10/2002
Sea Princess - 09/2001
Ocean Princess - 01/2001
Renaissance 3 - 05/2000
Sun Princess - 03/2000
Old March 23rd, 2005, 05:25 AM
Admiral

As Kuki said, you can contract Noro anywhere there are a lot of people. Just take along antibacterial hand cleaner and use it often. Wash your hands often.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old March 23rd, 2005, 07:40 AM
hombre

i wouldn't worry at all about the ryndam; i took a ten-day mexican last may and found it to be just super. a couple of years ago i was chaplain on the amsterdam. there were people who got sick, but since i boarded the ship earlier than regular passengers, i got a chance to see some behind-the-scenes activities, and i can assure you that every quarter inch of that ship was disinfected; cdc people were everywhere. as for plumbing, i had no problems on ryndam; but sometimes people throw things in toilets when they are clearly advised not to, and, as passengers are warned, this will back up a whole series of toilets. enjoy the cruise; mexico is wonderful. padre