Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 3rd, 2005, 06:06 AM
g Johns

Default Alaska...cruise menu

Hi: My fiance and I have been gifted with an Alaska cruise in August. This is our first cruise and I am a bit worried about the menu. We have both been dieting but even when not we eat a very bland diet, mostly grilled chicken, plain salad and plain potatoe type of meals. I for one dont eat seafood or fancy dishes although my fiance is willing to try anything. My question is this, should I plan to stay in my cabin on formal nights due to the fact that I think the meals will be way off the norm for me and not to my liking? This will be a trip of a lifetime for us and a wonderful opportunity to spend time with my future inlaws but at the same time I am afraid that the dress code and planned meals may be too much for me. I just dont have a clue how I will manage the packing either as after seven days onboard we spend the next 6 on bus and train...whew... We are in our mid forties, doing the Alaska cruise 15 leaving August 14 on the Veendam....Thanks for any cruise tips that may help!
Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2005, 06:19 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Alaska...cruise menu

g Johns: Wow, congrats...what a great gift. Do not be concerned about the menu. Most cruiselines will accomodate you in any way they can. From past experience, there are food selections that are available every night, such as beef, chicken or a veggie meal. These are in addition to the featured items. If there is not something on the menu that you think you would like, just speak to your waiter and he/she will make arrangements to get you something else. Please do not miss out on the fun of Formal night in the dining room.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old April 3rd, 2005, 12:46 PM
g Johns

Dear MaryLou : Thank you so much for the information. I am now looking completely forward to our cruise with no reservations. The only thing we are afraid of now is that we will love it so much we will have to book one every year. ..many thanks again and enjoy your cruises!!!!!
Old April 3rd, 2005, 01:05 PM
Admiral

g John: You are very welcome. I'm afraid to tell you that your fears are well founded....you will become addicted after just one cruise....I promise you! You might want to get a jump on things and start planning number 2 right now, . Have a great time and please be sure to tell us how the first one goes.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old April 12th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Familiar Face

I agree with Mary Lou--cruising is very addictive! It's rather like riding the roller coaster--as soon as you get off, you want to ride again! We've sailed twice with HAL and both trips have exceeded our expectations.

Regarding the food choices, there are plenty of choices that are "sensible." You can order the same things served in the dining room to be served in your stateroom, if you'd like.

My husband sprained both ankles while we cruised the Med for 12 days (major bummer but we made the best of it). We had to eat a lot of meals in our stateroom because he wasn't up to going to the dining room, but we ate wonderfully and didn't feel like we missed anything.

Just watch out for that Cruise Planner 2005-2006 that HAL puts in your stateroom the last day or two of the cruise. You'll find yourself not only looking through it, but starting to plan another!

Lesley

2003 Mississippi Queen
2004 HAL Westerdam
2005 Norwegian Jewel
2007 Norwegian Sun
2009 HAL Westerdam
2010 RCI Vision Of The Seas
2011 HAL Nieuw Amsterdam
2014 Norwegian Jewel