Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 29th, 2005, 12:25 PM
g. Johns

Default Verandah Dect

We are first timers sailing on the Veendam August 14th on the Alaska Cruise out of Vancouver. We are on the Verandah Deck and on a waiting list for a balcony cabin so we have taken an inside cabin on that deck in the I catagory. I am so afraid that because we cant get any fresh air we will get sea sick.... is there any logic to my fears? Also I have been reading forums on the Veendam and read that although the food is excellent , the ship shakes very badly and the staff isnt very helpful... Someone pls tell me that I read wrong and set my mind at ease. Also, I hope the pool is nice...Anyone else sailing with us? Thanks... Gayle
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2005, 03:17 PM
joyann

Default Re: Verandah Dect

It has nothing to do with fresh air, but visual clues. You need a window, whether or not it opens is irrelevant. The best room for a seasick person is in the middle of the ship, lower down. Verandah deck is a bit high.

I just bought myself the seasick watch to use on my 17 day cruise to Hawaii. The bands usually work fairly well, but this new gadget is supposed to work wonders.

Good luck.
Old May 25th, 2005, 03:36 PM
joyann

Sorry, i also meant to add that we did not experience any of the problems you have read about on the Veendam during our Alaska cruise. Food was great, ship was clean as a whistle and staff was wonderful, as always.
Old May 25th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Admiral

I doubt you will be using the pool very much when you are in Alaska. Even with the Dome closed, it's cold. Last time I was there, no one was in the outside pool and only kids and a few adults in the Domed pool.

I have never found that the Veendam shakes. Don't know where you heard that.

Low and in the middle is the best location if you are worried about being seasick. I agree with Joyann that the Verandah deck is a bit high. Mind you we always book a verandah cabin on this deck, as we love the motion of the ship rocking.

Take some Bonine with you - start taking it a day or 2 before you leave and then one either every morning or ever night - can't remember which they recommend.
Old May 26th, 2005, 04:23 PM
g johns

Wow have I ever been reading alot of forums since I posted this post and I have realized something.... you can read good and bad about every ship and every cruiseline. Therefore I have decided this..... I am gonna pack my bags ( along with the wristbands and bonine) lol and trot on down to the docks.... board the ship.... and have the best darn time of my life !!!!!! Thanks for your replies !
Old May 27th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Admiral

Good for you. That's the way to go. I have cruised for nearly 24 years with HAL and in those days there were no chat rooms to ask questions. First cruise, we flew by the seat of our pants and had the time of our life.

You can read good and bad about every ship/line - I say don't sweat it - just have a wonderful time and let us know all about the trip when you return.
Old May 29th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Verandah Deck

In July we'll be on our fourth cruise in five years. We have been on the Verandah deck for every cruise. Experienced it on our first cruise (14 days Alaska), loved it, and decided to stay with what we knew.