Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 28th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Food and Cruises

I'm just curious to know how many people cruise just because they can eat as much as they want.

I always see lots of overweight people on cruises...and I'm about 20 lbs overweight myself so I'm just curious.

How many cruisers tend to eat more on cruises than at home?
How many cruisers eat more junk on cruises than they would at home?

Just curious. ;-)

Old May 29th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Food and Cruises

Yes, well, I suppose according to the statistics over recent years we are seeing more overweight people (at least Americans) almost wherever we go, at home or on vacations.

My wife and I do eat more on cruises, especially considering that we generally have three table-served meals a day on cruises, less port days. We are not big fans of buffets or the all-you-care-to-eat concepts. You mention "junk" food. One thing we tend not do on cruises is eating snacks between meals, althought we do enjoy the HAL afternoon teas. We also always choose late seating dinners, so never feel the need to participate in late night special buffets, chocolate extravaganzas, etc.
Old May 29th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

I know what you mean. I tried late seating a few times and went back to the later early seating. I can't eat all buffet food and all u can eats either and I don't like to eat late at night.

I love chocolate, but it wreaks havoc with diabetes...so.....I just like to smell it!

Old May 31st, 2005, 02:12 PM
ezinvt

I have been on a low carb (Atkins) regimen since January 2003. Since then I have cruised several times and have never gained any weight, even though I tried an occasional sugary dessert, and ate pizza throughout the Med cruise. The dining staff were more than willing to accomodate me - in fact, they seemed intrigued by the idea of butter, cream, etc, just no sugar or flour (to be quite simplistic about the whole thing). Once I explained the rules of the game, they checked every recipe and didn't put bread on my side of the table, even though I have never experienced cravings for foods I shouldn't eat. We noticed a heightened awareness of low carbing on each cruise on the part of the kitchen and have never been hungry or unhappy.
Old May 31st, 2005, 10:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Georgie:

I do eat much more on a cruise than I do at home. I also eat things that I do not eat at home: Desserts, drinks, and types of food that I would rarely have such as venison or rabbit.

On the other side of the coin I expel more energy on a cruise than I do at home. Snorkeling, walking, swimming and being just relatively more active. Because of this it balances out and I really don't gain a large amount of weight. Yes, I probably do add one or two pounds but I have never had a situation where the dress shirt didn't fit on the second formal night or the belt had to be let out a notch.

Eating is a major part of the cruise experience and I enjoy it as much as I can and I'm not afraid to admit it.

Take care and Bon Appetit
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 1st, 2005, 08:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

I will be eating...and getting my excercise for sure!

Old June 8th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Benjamin Smith

I don't eat any more on a cruise than anywhere else.

I cruise with my wife for a couple's experience, enjoy the lounges and deck space most. We also enjoy dressing for evenings.
Old June 9th, 2005, 06:42 AM
Beginner

Just returned from cruising the Inland Passage of Alaska on the Oosterdam. Didn't gain a pound. I appreciated the portion sizes, they were not huge like some restaraunts. I ate three meals each day, but didn't have snacks between meals. We didn't drink a lot of alcohol or sodas. It was fun trying a lot of new foods. Did a lot of walking on deck and using the stairs!