Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 15th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Sport Jacket on Formal Nights?

We've never sailed on HAL before. We're booked on Maasdam, Canada/New England in May 2006. We've been on other ships and have noticed that "formal" nights are not as formal as they once were. But I get the impression that HAL is a more traditional ship. DH has a tux, but hates to wear it. He doesn't own a suit and doesn't want one. He's much more comfortable in nice sport jacket, slacks and tie. I have some things that will go with either the tux or sport jacket depending on the accessories I choose, so it doesn't matter for me. I'd like to hear from some of you who've sailed HAL recently. Did all the men wear tux and/or dark suits on formal nights or were there a few sport jackets here and there? Basically, how out of place am I going to feel if DH insists on leaving the tux at home?
Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Captain

Default Re: Sport Jacket on Formal Nights?

On our trip on the Zaandam a few years ago there were many more sports jackets and ties then Tux's.

Cruising purists may not like that but there didn't seem to be any problems that we saw.
Old June 15th, 2005, 04:56 PM
big apple

Having sailed on all the main stream cruise lines numerous times have found that those on Holland follow the dress code much more than the others.Your husband will definitely be in the minority on formal nites in a jacket only.If this does not bother you go for it but make sure he has a coat on.
Old June 15th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Passenger

Husband should wear a tux, or if neccessary, a black suit.
Old June 16th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Frank Black

On my last HAL cruise on the Oosterdam in April about 50% wore a Tux, 40% a suit and the rest sport coat and tie. I wore my tux. Tell your husband to wear what he likes. You will never see any of those people again anyway.
Old June 17th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Dixie Lee

Sailed Statendam last month and DH wore a sport coat on both formal nights. He looked great and no one gave him a second glance. We did see a good number of tux's along with a good number of sport coats, but then, on the first formal night, 2 of our table mates wore sweats! Now, they did get a couple of sideways glances, but, in my opinion, they deserved it. From what we saw, sports coats are not a problem.
Dixie Lee
Old June 17th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Frank B

I usually try to be objective when I see guests flaunt the dress code. But I was on the Mercury two years ago and on fornal night I saw a couple who wore jeans, T-Shirts, cowboy boots, and dirty hats. That's one time I wished they would have been blocked at the door.