Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 21st, 2005, 11:21 AM
Gerhardt

Default What extras do we have to pay for?

On Dec. 1, we will be sailing the Caribbean for the Panama canal on Zandaam. We have a mini-suite (Type A) booked. My wife and I have not been on a cruise in over 25 years, and I know a lot has changed. What products, besides alcohol, services, and activities, besides land tours, will we have to pay extra for?
Thanks in advance. Gerhardt.
Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2005, 12:18 PM
hombre

Default Re: What extras do we have to pay for?

let's see --- probably bottled water, spa services, use of steam room which used to be free, and those damnable soda cards which they push with the zeal of used car salespersons -- starting the minute you hit the ship.
Old June 21st, 2005, 01:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've taken two HAL cruises, and have yet had anyone try to push me to buy a soda card.
Old June 21st, 2005, 01:56 PM
Admiral

You will have to pay for specialty coffees in the Explorations Cafe & Explorer's Lounge (if liqour is added), bottled water, & soda. The pastries in the EC were free last time we were on the ship, but I've read where they are now charging for them. Can't figure out why when all desserts and ice cream are free in the Lido.

You will have a fridge in your mini-suite filled with all kinds of goodies - just remeber it's not FREE, you pay for what you use.

I have been on a number of HAL cruises and never had the soda card "pushed" in my face, or even been offered one.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 11:45 AM
hombre

pj and deedee: i'm glad you haven't had the soda-card experience, so mine was hopefully an isolated experience. however, the lido staff were like hungry sharks hawking those things on the first two days of the may 19 rotterdam cruise.
Old July 1st, 2005, 02:14 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: What extras do we have to pay for?

Have not experienced the 'soda card' pushing but were disgusted on our last Prinsendam cruise to have stewards pushing wine packages on the Lido deck - if they couldn't sell a package they then switched to pushing a bottle for dinner that evening - certainly did not expect that from HAL............

One unfortunate steward was embarrassed and sent packing by a most knowledgeable wine drinker on the Lido one day. The fellow sat at the table next to ours and had the 'official' Wine Steward seeking answers at times. We heard from the Hotel Manager that said fellow had later apologized to the steward but had given him (the HM) a piece of his mind about staff training. Wine Package pushing became much less evident!