Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 21st, 2005, 12:12 PM
hombre

Default may 19, rotterdam italian enchantment cruise

i read with interest the very laudatory review of the may 19 rotterdam cruise, known as italian enchantment. i, too was on that cruise, my third on the rotterdam. the soe upgrades were for the most part evident, but some things have taken a 'hit.' the new beds were wonderful, although there were no bedspreads. the flat tv's and dvd's were in place, though admittedly i don't use either very much when i cruise. the towels were quite large and luxurous. the lido deck had new furniture and had been re-surfaced, though it is white and pale yellow and was being cleaned almost continuously with large sections of the deck roped off. some new non-skid rubberized floor covering has been added to reduce slipping on the lido, but watch out! when the sun hits it, it gets hotter than hades. don't try walking on it without shoes.

now for the downside: the food in the lido, except for breakfast, has really slipped in quality. you will especially notice this if you choose to eat dinner there, which consists mostly of lunchtime leftovers. the tables are full of crumbs, and the exact manner of being served varies from night to night. there is a lot of confusion. the dessert selection is very poor; again lefties from lunch. there might be one or two pieces of that chocolate pie left, and it looks like it has been fought over. gone are free use of the steam room, access to the forward observation deck on lido, ice sculptures, most of those wonder veggie and fruit sculptures, most deck/poolside live music, most poolside games on sea days, and so forth. little things, but they add up. as for the cooking demos, i was looking forward to them, but to my knowledge they did not take place -- at least they were never announced in the daily activities list.

well enough. i guess what the right hand gives, the left takes away.
Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2005, 12:22 PM
hombre

Default Re: may 19, rotterdam italian enchantment cruise

oh, and i should add. the first thing you hear when you hit the lido for the first time -- which for most people is right after boarding and prior to room availability -- is not ' welcome aboard.' it is, 'you've come to the right place; this is your lucky day. you have the chance to buy a soda card.' like used car salespersons!
Old June 21st, 2005, 01:59 PM
Admiral

Hombre - the new bedding no longer requires a bedspread and just has the large piece of material at the end of the bed. This is so much better in my view, as the steward doesn't have to "hide" the large spread in a closet, thus taking up room that I could use.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 11:41 AM
hombre

yes, i noticed the colorful strip in brochure pictures. it does give the bed a made-up look. these 'drapes' were not in place on this cruise. thanks, deedee for your observation; certainly makes sense.