Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 11th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Passenger

Default balcony question

hi all;

i have read some reviews on the westerdam and zuiderdam about the balconies, weather you can open the partition between the balconies...we have aft cabins/suites and was wondering if the aft cabins to the same.

Old July 12th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Julia Elzie

Default Re: balcony question

No, sorry, the balconies cannot be opened between the staterooms. Of the premium cruise lines of Princess, Celebrity and Holland America, Holland America has the most significant dividers. When I tour ships and cruise on the various lines, I make sure to check how much privacy is given to each balcony. Holland America's dividers are floor-to-ceiling, go all the way out to the railing and are very opaque with thick bolts holding the dividers together.

I am sorry that I can't give better news to you....

Best Regards,
Julia
Old July 17th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Bruce Chafkin

My colleagues on Zuiderdam tell me that they open all the swinging doors between the balconies at the end of every cruise to do a thorough cleaning.
There was a recent party on Zuiderdam where the occupants of 7 balcony cabins requested that the connecting doors between their balconies be opened so they could have a "block party" for sailaway.
It was so successful, they decided to keep the doors open for the entire cruise.
Old July 17th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Admiral

Julia - sorry but you are wrong. Part of the partition (door) right next to the railing can be opened by the steward.

We were on the Westerdam last year and we could see from our balcony that many people had these doors open so that they could visit back and forth with their friends in adjoining cabins.

As Bruce said, these doors are opened by the cleaning crew at the end of each cruise so that the crew can do a thorough cleaning of the verandahs without having to go through each cabin.

Mark - a friend of mine was in an aft "S" suite with 3 other gals and their friends were in the cabin next door - she said it was great to be able to have the door open and they could just walk back and forth between each other's cabins. The "S" was one of the end Suites with the wraparound balcony - they thought this was great.