Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Cheryl George

Default Cell phone on the Sea

I am going on a cruise in Sept and am curious about ability to use my cell phone while on the ship? We are going from Seatle-Astoria, Victoria and then Van Couver, if we get the National traverler from Midwest Wireless, will be okay to use the cell at least when we are docked in Seatle and Astoria? Does anyone know? Thanks in advance. We now have just the Midwest traveler, but would like to upgrade for the month of the cruise.

Cheryl
Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2005, 02:04 PM
slotl

Default Re: Cell phone on the Sea

There are no cell phone towers at sea. So forget your phone.

When you hit land, I am sure the US cell phone will work in Canada. But, unless you have a GSM phone and you call your cell phone company ahead of your trip to turn on European or foreign coverage, your cell phone will NOT work.

Get a pre-paid telephone card before you leave and use it when you reach port.

P.S. that is what the crew does.

Prinsendam British Isles
Old July 27th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Eve

Default Re: Re: Cell phone on the Sea

You can rent a cell phone for land use or a satellite phone for use at sea. I checked with my own carrier (Verizon) and they will rent me one for use in Europe in September AND I can choose to have my own number forwarded for that phone (or give the number of that phone to those you would want to contact you -- it's a London-based number). It can be used in most places in Europe. We had no interest in the satellite phone as we can use the internet on the ship.

There are many companies you can find on-line to rent phones. But as I said, see if your own carrier has some kind of rental deal.
Old July 27th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Cheryl George

Default Re: Re: Cell phone on the Sea

Thanks, we didn't think it would. But, we wanted to check and see. I might just upgrade to National Traveler for the month, I think I can get the 100 minutes for the same as I pay for the 250 in the Midwest traveler. I'll have to check at Midwest Wireless.

Thanks again for both of your imputs. Cheryl
Old July 27th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Passenger

Hi --
From the Midwest Wireless web page for National Traveler
================================================== ================================
Never worry about roaming or long distance charges again. Our National Traveler plan lets you call anyone in the U.S. from anywhere in the U.S. And that includes Alaska and Hawaii. Its the plan that covers you from sea to shining sea and beyond!
================================================== ================================
So with the National Traveler plan you should be able to use your phone while in port in Alaska. I would venture to guess that you would be able to use it in Vancouver with a roaming fee. I have used my (AT&T) phone in St. Thomas and San Juan. I was able to get a signal in Cozumel but couldn't understand the Spanish message I got when I tried to dial a number.

Several web sites say that roaming is possible in Canada, but I couldn't find any prices.

Rich
Old July 30th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Cathy Kearns

We just returned from a Maasdam sailing from Montreal to Boston down the St. Lawrence River. When we were cruising close to shore, and of course on shore in Canada and the US, our Verizon phones worked fine.