Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 29th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Kelz

Default refrigerator in room

we will be on the Zuiderdam 11/12/05 in cat VA . wondering if there is a refrig in the room .
Sponsored Links
Old July 29th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Eve

Default Re: refrigerator in room

There should be a small mini-bar type of refrigerator in the cabin. It will be stocked with items and someone will check it each day to replenish and record what you used.

What I don't actually like about this arrangement is that there isn't much in there that I want, and I'd prefer to order or purchase (or bring along) things that I want, but there isn't much room in there after they stock it. I'd prefer more soft drinks instead of all the liquor and mixers. But to each his own.

Long story short, yes, there is a small refrigerator.
Old July 30th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Passenger

We made sure there was a fridge because of my husband's insulin. They said we could just take the stuff out of the fridge and store it in a drawer or whatever, if we didn't want to use it. So that's what we did. That way, we could bring a few things back from the Lido for later on in the evening. Just before we left the room for good at the end of the cruise, we replaced all the stuff. I had only used one can of Coke during the whole week.
Old July 30th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Admiral

If you do empty the fridge, make sure you tell your cabin steward and also inform him where you have stashed the goods. That way when the wine steward checks the fridge each day, he will know that you have removed the contents and not consumed them. (smile)
Old July 30th, 2005, 06:39 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: refrigerator in room

Better yet - ask your Steward to remove what you don't want from the fridge - that way for sure you won't be charged - been there, done that! :-) )
Old July 31st, 2005, 01:37 PM
sailgirl

How about category D? Do they have fridges?
Old July 31st, 2005, 02:24 PM
Admiral

Sailgirl - There are no fridges in the D cat. cabins on the S & R class ships, but I can't say for sure whether the Vista Class ships (Westerdam/Oosterdam/Zuiderdam) have them, but I doubt it.

Call Ships Services - 1-800-541-1576 and they may be able to tell you. Mind you, they don't always know the answer to some of the questions asked.

Very good suggestion, Suki ! Let the cabin steward empty the fridge.!
Old July 31st, 2005, 04:56 PM
Passenger

Lots of good suggestions! I know whenever I have a question now, I just email Holland and within a couple of days, I have an email back. I asked about floating items for use in the pool and they said that would be fine, as long as I understand they get stored in our cabin.
Old August 1st, 2005, 07:50 AM
Admiral

Carol - what kind of "floating items" for the pool are you talking about? Things for children or mats for adults? There's a big difference.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 12:02 PM
Passenger

The pools are not very large. I very seldom see any kind of floating item in the pool. I think once I saw one of those noodles in the Lido pool. I never saw anything at the aft pool.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 04:00 AM
Passenger

Yes, we were talking about the styrofoam noodles. I don't think a large raft type thing would be appropriate either.
Old August 4th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Passenger

We had a frig/mini bar on the zuiderdam Balconey cabin and put our wine in it but my husband overheard someone say it was just a cooler and did not get cool enough for milk or yogurt. We did put a carton of milk in there from room service and it did not really feel cold enough so I tossed it the next day.
Old August 4th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Eve

You're right, they don't seem like "real" refrigerators, and they're so enclosed that they heat up around them a bit. We always get a bucket of ice each day to put in the fridge and that helps to keep things cooler. The room steward will do that for you. Just ask if they don't do it automatically.
Old August 8th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Joan Day

I travel with a small, 12 pack, cooler. You can pack it with undies and stuff and it fits right in your suitcase. I asked the steward to fill it with ice and it was perfect to keep things cold.

I also put the drinks from the fridge in the drawer. No extra charges.