Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2005, 02:28 AM
JeanneSm

Default taking food off the ship?

Hello everyone,

Sailing : Aug 24th Volendam Alaska Inside Passage

I know this sounds cheap, but I was wondering if there is such a thing as "bag lunches" to take when at ports.....

I don't know if people just come back on board for lunch, if they eat out, or just grap things from buffets and baggie self serve for themselves. I also see there is room service too with sandwiches so can they be ordered earlier in the day to take along?

I am sure the first option is an "obvious" one, to just come back to the ship, but I was thinking that after breakfast it might be nice to just have fruit/snack for walkabouts in town instead of trucking back to the ship.

Thanks,
Jeanne
Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Admiral

Default Re: taking food off the ship?

Jeanne - the towns are very small and you can walk around them in about 1 hour, if even that.

We always come back to the ship for lunch, especially in Alaska. If you are hungry, buy some snacks at one of the stores.

HAL won't make you a bagged lunch - no reason for it unless you are on an all day tour and if this is the case, then lunch or a snack is usually provided.
Old August 13th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Dixie Lee

Part of the adventure of being in Alaska is trying out the local dining spots. You need to make room during your time in port to try some of the local saloons/cafes, at least in some of your ports. In Juneau, we did the "Best of Juneau" excursion, which included whale watching, a trip to the Mendenhall Glacier and the salmon bake. In that case, we were served snacks of pastries and then, later, smoked salmon on crackers by the tour company that operated the boat that took us whale watching. Both the pastries and the smoked salmon was delicious and we were glad we did not eat more than that because the food at the salmon bake was wonderful. As it was a buffett, there was plenty to eat. In fact, we skipped supper on the ship - too full from the food served during our shore excursion. Not all excursions offer a full meal, but some will offer a light snack. We had meat, cheese and crackers along with something to drink while on our 4x4 Jeef safari to the Yukon. Get some kettle corn while in Ketchikan. Have a great cruise.
Dixie Lee
Old August 13th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Admiral

Dixie Lee - agree with you. We did the Mendenhall Glacier and Salmon Bake on our first trip and we loved it. I have never tasted such delicious salmon.

I am going to take that tour again next year.
Old August 13th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

In US ports it is against USDA regulations it take most foods ashore. Big fine if the catch you.

Old August 13th, 2005, 09:55 PM
First Mate

JeanneSm - Your question is valid but HAL does not do ' on request bagged lunches'. They are impractical and you miss all the fun of the local cusine. Missing out on a Salmon Bake is criminal :-)........it's also against various US food regulations.
\

I was 'nailed' for a miserable apple!