Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default single share

I'd like to know if anyone out there has tried the share program with HAL? I've booked a 14 day Southern Caribbean out of Tampa next February and they will get me a room mate or I get the PP rate.
Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2005, 12:30 AM
Rita M. Ippoliti

Default Re: single share

I only used a share on one HAL cruise, and it wasn't even through HAL. It was through a writer's conference we were having on a HAL ship. Single share involves a bit of compromise ... after all, you have another person with their own likes and dislikes living in close quarters with you for the cruise, but it is doable.

I'm also doing single share on my 30-day Hawaii/South Pacific cruise this coming January.

The best thing to do is get together with the roommate right on the first day to work out preferences. If each gives a little, it usually works out fine. Compromise on assigned drawer and closet space, who wants which bed, etc. If at all possible, try to have different dining times so that you are both not rushing around on formal nights trying to get ready at the same time. Be open with each other as far as sleeping preferences, etc. For example, if you are an early-to-bed, early-to-rise kinda person, and she is the opposite, agree to be courteous to the other while moving around the cabin.

Also, note that all HAL share cabins are non-smoking. So, if one of you are a smoker, you're gonna have to go elsewhere on the ship to indulge. But, I hear there is a nice aft balcony on each floor that can be used for that purpose.

While sharing with a stranger is not always the preferred way to cruise, sometimes it is a necessity on longer cruises due to the expensive single supplements. Go into the arrangement with a degree of flexibility and hopefully everything will work out fine.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old August 14th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with all you've said about compromise. I'm a older lady(67) most people guess 50's so I'm really counting on this share thing to appeal to someone in my age group who hopefully is as young and active as I am. This is my second cruise with HAL, 1st one I paid the single rate and decided that's not the way to go. Then of course longer cruises appeal to more people my age.
Thanks so much for your message and I'll keep a positive outlook.

I'm a work in progress
Old August 31st, 2005, 01:14 PM
Old Navy Banker

I've done the HAL single share a few times - once lucky enough to not be paired. Setting ground rules the first afternoon is important -- your room mate has concerns similar to yours -- different timing, perhaps, but he/she essentially wants a pleasant cruise and is flexible enough to sign up for for a share in the first place -- I've never had problems working things out , It is important to check with the dining room maitre - so you are not put at the same table (unless you are really fortunate, it is better to have some space between you and your room mate) which they tend to do --- apparently acting on the assumption that people in the same stateroom want to have meals together.
Old September 4th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: single share

Thanks so much for your advice,I've decided to upgrade to an outside cabin,but still a share. I'm hoping anyone who travels alone will be like me no meds and healthy, I always sign up for the late dinner. This trip has four seatings so I'm on for 8:00.
Now do you know anything about wrist bands that help with sea sickness.I took something on my last cruise and it made me sleepy.I stopped taking it and had no problem,but this is a longer cruise and I'd like to be prepared.