Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2005, 04:48 PM
brylac73

Default Flight arrivel is at 1:00, cutting it close??

my flight gets into ft. lauderdale at 1:00 and the ship leaves at 5, is this going to be an issue. what is the latest you can board?
Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to geoff
Default Re: Flight arrivel is at 1:00, cutting it close??

4:00 is latest suggested time - but you can probably still board until 4:15 --you are cutting it close, it's just 15 or 20 minmutes from the airport to the terminal, but you should allow at least half an hour from scheduled atrrival time to get off the plane and collect your bags, plus another half hour to get a cab. So, if the flight is delayed by just an hour and a half, you could miss your sailing -- I hope you are not taking a connecting flight - that gives the airlines two chances at delaying you -- I think you are taking a big risk.
Old September 8th, 2005, 05:52 PM
brylac73

no other choice, earliest arrival is 12:40. that's not helping much.
Old September 8th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Any chance of you flying down the day before? This way you wouldn't be on pins and needles worrying whether you will be late.

You don't say what time of year you are flying or your city of departure. This may help us to help you.
Old September 9th, 2005, 09:14 AM
brylac73

the cruise is next month, so any changes in flight schedule gets a $100 per person penalty from expedia ($200 since it'll be me and my wife). we possibly could change it to the day before, when i booked the flight i figured 3 hours would give us plenty of time to get there.
don't know about it taking 30 mins to hail a cab, all airports i've been t have cabs sitting out front.
Old September 9th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Donalee

My suggestion is to take carry on luggage only on your flight. Do not check your baggage with the airline. Waiting for checked luggage will add another 30 minutes minium onto your transit time.
Old September 9th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Carry on luggage for a cruise? I don't think so. Brylac73, if it were me I'd bite the bullet and pay the penalty to book the day before. $200 is a lot less to loose than all the money you risk loosing should you miss the ship. Just consider it a lesson learned. I would never fly the day of the sail. Planes get delayed or cancelled all the time, especially if there are weather concerns (you're sailing during hurricane season!) There are mechanical problems that come up, back-ups on the tarmac, etc. Last time we sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale, we stayed at the Sleep Inn. They not only provided a free shuttle ride from the airport to the hotel, but a free shuttle ride from the hotel to the ship the next morning. They also gave us a free breakfast. I forget what we paid, but I booked with the hotel directly and the price was very reasonable.
Old September 9th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Admiral

Ditto to the "carry on luggage" on the flight for a cruise??????????? I don't know anyone who could do that, especially a woman. I know I sure couldn't.
Old September 9th, 2005, 05:01 PM
brylac73

agreed cruisecrazy2, looking for a hotel now.

thanks everyone.
Old September 12th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Admiral

1:00 is technically not too close, but be aware that the airlines, especially these days, are not very reliable. I missed the boat on my very first cruise and had to go to Costa Rica in order to catch up with it. Thank God I had insurance, which offset my expenses somewhat. And ... as a note, my flight was scheduled to arrive in Fort Lauderdale at like 10:00 a.m. for that cruise!

Also, I assume your flight is a direct one? I would NEVER chance it if I had to make connecting flights to get to the port. Miss a connection and you could be toast. On my upcoming Hawaii cruise in January, I was simply not able to get a direct flight from Philly to San Diego within an acceptable timeframe. So, I had no choice but to take flights the day before and book a hotel room for one night. It's the only prudent thing to do.

So, back to your original question ... is a 1:00 p.m. flight arrival time cutting it too close? No ... not if all your airline schedules run as planned.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old September 12th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

That's funny, I was thinking 1:00 is plenty of time. If the ship leaves at 5:00 they will still let you on. FLL is so close to the pier you could skip there holding hands in about 10 minutes. Gues I'm just a "flight arrival time" daredevil!

(I'm really trying to resist the emicons, but its so hard!)
Old September 12th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Beginner

Interesting comments about the carry on luggage. I always travel with carry on luggage even on a 2 week transatlantic voyage. Once you learn how to pack efficiently you will never go back to checked baggage. By the way I AM a woman. 8)
Old September 13th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

as a friend of ours once said, "I may get tired of my clothes, but nobody else does. No one keeps track of what you wore before. Or if they do they don't care." But it's a girl thing. I can wear the same slacks every night to dinner and be happy. They never get dirty on a ship.
Old September 19th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Never, Never, "fly in" the same day the ship leaves.. Do this only if you have ice water in your veins.. OM