Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 21st, 2005, 09:28 AM
Beginner

Default New to HAL. Is it right for me?

Just booked a cruise on the Zuiderdam sailing November 5th. This will be my 12th cruise (7-RCI, 1-Princess, 1-Carnival, 1-Club Med, 1-NCL). Have heard that HAL is for an older crowd so will this 38 year old single traveler feel the odd man out?

I love the itinerary, which was the draw for me. Any suggestions of what to do/see on the islands and the ship?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2005, 10:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

I will be interested to see how you compare HAL, especially with RCL.
We have cruised only once on RCL, once on Carnival and once on NCL,
and prefer HAL over those three. As for ages, Carnival was definitely a younger crowd on our cruise, but we have found a variety on HAL, depending on when you sail. What islands?
Old September 22nd, 2005, 08:38 AM
Passenger

I would say there isn't much of the younger crowd on Holland America. But I was on an Alaska cruise. There was only a handful of people at 40 that stayed up past 10:00. So maybe if you go to the Carribean you will have a younger crowd
Old September 22nd, 2005, 10:39 PM
Passenger

Default Holland is fun!

My husband & I just returned from a cruise on Zuiderdam and we had a great time. The age group was somewhat varied. There weren't a lot of children around though. We noticed that the mood in the Lido pool is very friendly but no splashing about! That's ok with me, but I suppose that might bore some people. I love to enjoy lounging in the pool, talking to people, instead of dodging kids who repeatedly jump in the pool, only to get out and do it again & again. I think a lot of people go with Holland for the exemplary service aboard their ships. I guess the average age on the ship was probably 50's.
Old September 29th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: New to HAL. Is it right for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray5496
Just booked a cruise on the Zuiderdam sailing November 5th. This will be my 12th cruise (7-RCI, 1-Princess, 1-Carnival, 1-Club Med, 1-NCL). Have heard that HAL is for an older crowd so will this 38 year old single traveler feel the odd man out?

I love the itinerary, which was the draw for me. Any suggestions of what to do/see on the islands and the ship?

Thanks.
We've been on the same cruise lines as you (except for Club Med). In early November it will be much more like your Princess cruise than any of the others you have taken -- just older, more like VERY LATE 60's to 70's!

Since you like the itinerary, do go and give it a try. Just don't expect too much in the way of activity on the ship! ~ WSEA ~
Old September 29th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpford2513
I would say there isn't much of the younger crowd on Holland America. But I was on an Alaska cruise. There was only a handful of people at 40 that stayed up past 10:00. So maybe if you go to the Carribean you will have a younger crowd
I was on the Zuiderdam last summer (2004) and there were TONS of young families onboard. Lots of kids ... also lots going on at night (at least until midnight when I usually retired ... can't speak to beyond that since I wasn't there).

I think what type of passenger demographic you get is gonna depend more on the itinerary and the length of the cruise. A shorter cruise will attract more young people since they are the ones still holding down jobs and thus limited in how long they can be away. If you take an extended (maybe 10 to 15) day European cruise, you're gonna get an older demographic and not many kids because of the length of the cruise, not to mention the price.

Also, if you sail during school holidays/vacations, you're likely to get a younger demographic since those are the only periods when most younger couples can travel.

If you want to ensure you get a younger bunch of passengers to sail with, stick to one of the more popular seven-day itineraries ... such as the Caribbean. That's where you'll find the younger folks.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old October 4th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Passenger

If might be hard to meet other singles, and there's no guarantee that you will be with other singles at dinner.

THE BEST ADVICE: Go to the disco at night (The Northern Lights.) This is where most of the singles end up.

FYI
Old October 4th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Beginner

We sailed on the Zuiderdam Thanksgiving week '03 and found a significantly younger crowd than on any of the other 6 HAL cruises we've taken. HAL remains our favorite, and even though we are gaining on that "older crowd", that's not the reason! The reason is the service and the FOOD. I'm sure you'll have a great cruise!

As far as what to do on shore, I can only comment on Half Moon Cay. I did the horseback riding, and it was awesome! Don't bother with the stingray encounter, it's a waste of money! We had previously done the stingray encounter in Nassau, and it was excellent, so I'd advise you wait until you get a chance to go to Nassau for the stingray encounter.

I hope you have a great time!