Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 24th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Beginner

Default What does this mean (contract)

was looking over my travel docs and package that i received.
noticed in the "other information" section there is a document about authorizing HAL to charge your debit/credit card, etc.
However, there is a line that says "I understand HAL may seek multiple authorizations on my credit/debit card for the amount of the charges made on board plus a $60.00 per person per day for each remaining days of my cruise for all staterooms listed above."

what's this $60 per person per day stuff? that's an extra $840 for the 7 day trip for 2 people???
Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

It's a figure they use for Pre authorization, to make certain there's room on the credit card for your onboard charges.

It's not actually charged to your card. The final amount will be what you actually spend onboard.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old September 28th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Admiral

Default Re: What does this mean (contract)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog
what's this $60 per person per day stuff? that's an extra $840 for the 7 day trip for 2 people???
They don't actually charge that ... it's just the amount they seek for preauthorization. They make sure that they are guaranteed to receive at LEAST that much in charges from your credit card company.

Then, the cruiseline keeps track of your actual onboard charges ... and as long as they don't go above that pre-authorized amount, they won't try to get any additional amounts pre-authorized. If your charges are getting up there, however, the cruiseline will seek an additional pre-authorization from your credit card company.

The whole purpose of the pre-authorization is just to make sure the cruise line is not gonna get "stiffed" for your charges if your credit card company refuses to pay (i.e., you are already up to your spending limit on that card). It is not until the end of the cruise, however, that your credit card is charged for the exact amount of your onboard charges for the entire cruise.

Blue skies ...

--rita