Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 26th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Passenger

Default Suggestions for Excursions

My wife and I are sailing on the Zaandam Dec. 1 to the Southern Carribean and Panama Canal. We are in our late 60's and quite vigorous. However, at the risk of sounding like the fuddy-duddies that some people on this board complain about, we are going on this cruise mainly to relax, get some sun, and be taken care of in style.

I have been looking at the shore excursions for Half Moon, Oranjestad, Willemstad, the Panama Canal, Colon, and Puerto Limon. We are not interested in the snorkeling or scuba diving type activities. Have any of you had particularly good experiences on any of the other excursions at these ports? Any recommendations you could give me, or any other suggestions, would be greatly appreciated. Though we are widely traveled, we havent been on a cruise in almost 20 years.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Gerhardt.
Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2005, 05:34 PM
Admiral

Gerhardt, I noticed that you have not received a response to your query about the excursions. We have been to Puerto Limon. There was a train tour that was very pleasant. Also, though we didn't take it on the Atlantic side, we have been on one of the river - canal tours on the Pacific side in Costa Rica. that we enjoyed very much. We saw monkeys, crocodiles and all sorts of birds in the wild. They have comfortable boats with canopies to shelter you from the sun and rain. There are numerous tours at the Panama canal, but unless you have been through the canal several times, stay on the ship! the Canal itself is a once in a lifetime treat. It never ceases to amaze. Can't help you on the other two ports. Read what Holland America has to offer on their website as to the excursions.
Bon voyage!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old November 22nd, 2005, 07:47 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to bucskin Send a message via Yahoo to bucskin

If you haven't visited the north shore of Aruba it is breathtaking. Puerto Limon was a disappointment. I agree that just transiting the Canal is an experience not to be missed.