Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 31st, 2005, 01:19 PM
Beginner

Default The Cruise from Hell--Maasdam sailing from Norfolk 10-26-05

Has anyone heard about this? We were to start boarding at 11:30am but did not until 1:00pm. This was due to the virus that guests had on the cruise before. No self serve buffets due to the same fact. The wait staff has to serve everything from ice water, salt, pepper, coffee and everything on the serving line, including the knifes, forks, spoons and trays. Makes for really long lines. We did not have the BarBQue on the beach at Half Moon Cay.
While in port at St. John's the ship had a blackout and also sprang a leak. Many cabins were flooded and had no running water for showers or flushing the toilets. We are all just waiting to see what happens next.
All through these many mishaps the wait staff and most of the other crew have been very helpful and in good spirts. Oh, it seems that the staff in the dinning rooms have been working short.
This is my first HAL cruise, I just hope they are not all like this.
Thanks for reading,
Connie from Roanoke, Va
Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2005, 08:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry about your cruise.... I have had mechanical prolems and virus on several ships on other lines.
I think the Maasdam is currently the oldest ship in the current HAL fleet.

Every now and then I have seen threads about mechanical problems on the Maasdam.

I would hesitate booking Maasdam these days. I currently am booked on the Zaandam and hope for the best.
Old November 1st, 2005, 10:40 AM
Admiral

Sorry to hear about your cruise. My friends just sailed on her 10/1/05 and had a wonderful time with no problems. To me that just shows you how problems can occur at anytime without any warning and you have to be flexible. Just like when my sons broke out with the chicken pox without my knowledge they had been exposed. I had to be flexible and work around the situation. Sound like HAL did their best to prevent further illness.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old November 1st, 2005, 10:57 PM
First Mate

Hi,
MAASDAM is due for her Signature of Excellence// mid life drydock
this winter. ZAANDAM had hers last winter.

Cheers
CG

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G