Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 14th, 2005, 11:24 PM
Beginner

Default JUST SAY NO TO ZUIDERDAM

OUR GROUP OF 11 JUST BACK FROM 7 DAYS OF DISAPPOINTMENT. SHIPS FOOD WAS TERRIBLE. MOST OF THE TIME ROTTEN MILK AT BREAKFAST. WATCHED THE CREW RECYCLE MILK OTHERS LEFT ON TRAYS. LIDO FOOD SERVERS ACT AS IF THEY ARE SCARED TO GIVE YOU MORE THAN A SPOON FULL OF EGGS. ASKED FOR ONE MORE SCOOP OF ICECREAM AND GOT IT SLUNG AT ME. DONT EVEN THINK YOU ARE EATING PAST 8 PM IN LIDO,UNLESS YOU WANT PIZZA AND PASTA FOR 7 DAYS.SHIP WAS DIRTY. TOTAL GHOST TOWN AFTER 9 PM. CAMP HAL A JOKE. AND WE PAID WAY MORE THAN OTHER CRUISES. IF IT WERENT FOR THE BALCONY WE WOULD HAVE ALL JUMPED OVERBOARD. THEY NEED TO GET A LESSON IN CRUISING FROM RCCL. WE WILL NEVER STRAY AGAIN. BEEN ON 9 CRUISES AND ALL TYPES OF LINES AND WILL NEVER EVER GO HAL AGAIN. OUR CABIN STEWARD WAS THE ONLY POSITVE THING OTHER THAN THE PORTS WHERE WE COULD GET OFF THE "DAM" SHIP. 9O% OF GUESTS HAD THE SAME RESPONSE.[/b]
Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Passenger

Doesn't describe either of my Zuiderdam cruises - most recently last June. Ship was always clean, your story of recycling milk is just that....a story. The food was good, although after 10, you pretty much were limited to pizza. But if you're eating full meals past 10, perhaps you might want to re-evaluate your eating habits. Food, service and decor were fabulous on the Zuiderdam. If you take it again and feel it's better to jump overboard, use the ship to shore phone before you do and call me at 555-5665 and I'll meet the ship at the next port to take your place. Zuiderdam was a fantastic ship.
Old November 15th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with PJY, we sailed on Zuiderdam in mid September and had a great time. We have been on dozens of cruises on Celebrity, RCCL, NCL, Disney & Princess and thought HAL was right up there with the best of them for both food & service.
Old November 15th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm glad to hear this as I'm going on my first cruise next year and have heard rumors that HAL doesn't know how to run large ships. I've read all the posts regarding the Westerdam and her sister ships and heard the good bad and the ugly. I have a feeling that as a first-timer I will be blown away by everything I experience on the ship regardless and my expectations will be nonexistant because I don't know what to expect. Keep postin the stories though-I enjoy reading them.
Old November 15th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Beginner

Hi.

Can't begin to imagine what went wrong on your cruise. We were on the Zuiderdam in mid Sept. and had a wonderful cruise.

The ship was clean everyplace. The food was good. All of the servers were only to glad to assist with anything you needed and with a smile.
In the lido several reconized us and offered special service not required or asked for. Most were young and aim hard to please.

Our cabin stewart was great, efficient, probably on of the best we've ever had. And we've taken dozens of cruises.

Sorry you had a bad, bad experience. Don't write them off. I think you'll change your mind.
Old November 15th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Admiral

I was really into your experience (believed it) UNTIL you said you saw the waiters recycling the milk! REALLY!

1. WHY would they do it? (I mean, it certainly doesn't matter to them one way or another)
2. If they did, they certainly wouldn't do it in front of passengers.
3. If you saw them, why didn't you report it, make a fuss? Recycling food is a health hazzard!!!

We've never have been on any HAL's ships YET, but we plan to in March 2006.

Your experience is more of a story...and certainly isn't to be taken seriously.
Old November 15th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Beginner

I didnt post this message to argue with anyone. These were things that I could not believe was happening. This was true for our cruise 11/5-11/12.
#1 LIDO CLOSES AT 8PM. WE HAD 8:30 DINNER IN DINING ROOM. WENT TO LIDO AT 8:05 AND COULD NOT GET FOOD OTHER THAN PIZZA AND PASTA.
#2 THEY SERVE YOU THE FOOD IN LIDO YOU DO NOT EVER GET YOUR OWN UNLESS ITS SALAD BAR. THEY ACT AS IF THEY ARE RUNNING OUT OF FOOD WHEN YOU ASK FOR MORE.
#3 I WAS GIVEN ONE SCOOP OF ICE CREAM WHEN I ASKED FOR MORE HE PUT ONE MORE SCOOP AND SLUNG IT DOWN ON THE COUNTER DID NOT EVEN HAND IT BACK.
#4 AFTER TWO DAYS OF SPOILED MILK AT BREAKFAST. WE NOTICED THEY WERE SAVING UNUSED CARTONS OFF TABLES AND PUTTING THEM ON A TRAY. THEN ONE DAY WE WATCHED THEM TAKE A TRAY BACK TO THE ICE WHERE YOU GET YOUR MILK FROM.
#5 THE SHIP IS GOING TO DRY DOCK IN 3 WEEKS AND THE ATTITUDE WAS A SUCH... WE DONT CARE
IT WAS DIRTY , 2 JACUZZIS IN MID SHIP POOL NEVER WORKED FOR 7 DAYS 1 IN AFT POOL DIDNT WORK.
I COULD ON BUT NO NEED TO .. JUST WANTED TO WARN ANYONE GOING IN THE NEXT THREE WEEKS WHAT TO EXPECT
I HOPE THEY WILL WORK ON ISSUES WHILE IN DRY DOCK AND OFFER A BETTER CRUISE AS FOR ME I WILL STICK TO RCCL
Old November 15th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Beginner

BTW DID REPORT MILK AND ROTTEN GRAPEFRUIT AND ICE CREAM PERSON TO "RUDDIN" IN CHARGE OF LIDO SAID IT WOULD BE TAKEN CARE OF ON THE LAST DAY WHEN WE TOLD RUDDIN AGAIN ABOUT THE MILK HE JUST SAID SORRY
Old November 15th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

And 90% of guests had the same response?
How might a guest have access to that information?
I suppose then we should be hearing a lot of complaints on the boards from those on the same cruise.
Old November 16th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Beginner

LET ME REPHRASE THAT.. 90% OF PEOPLE WE TALKED TO OR HEARD TALKING HAD THE SAME COMPLAINTS. A GUY WAS IN A SINGING CONTEST ON SHIP.TALKED TO HIM AT THE POOL AND HE SAID IF HE WON AND THEY GAVE HIM A FREE CRUISE HE WAS ASKING FOR A DIFFERENT CRUISELINE. (HE HAD GROUP OF 25). THE PEOPLE IN THE BALCONY NEXT TO OURS HAD SAME COMPLAINTS AND WE JUST OVERHEARD THEM, NEVER TALKED WITH THEM. THE BUS FULL OF GUESTS RIDING BACK HOME WITH US WERE ALL UNHAPPY. WE'RE TALKING ALL AGES NOT JUST OUR GROUP. AND THERE WERE MANY MORE. AT FIRST WE THOUGHT IT WAS JUST US. SOME THINGS MUST HAVE REALLY CHANGED IN THE PAST MONTH OR SO. THIS I THINK IS ALL BECAUSE OF LEADING TO DRY DOCK.... ALSO IF THE SHIP ISNT RUN DOWN LIKE WE SAW WHY DO YOU THINK THEY ARE SENDING IT TO DRY DOCK?
Old November 18th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I was on the Oct 15th sailing of the 'Z'. It was my 2nd Hal cruise. The ship was stunning,and the Pinnacle was the prettiest room on the sea, jmho..and the service there was outstanding.

These were my observations:
Sevice in the dining room at OUR table, was terrible. We continuously had to ask for beverages. Service was slow. We mentioned it to the maitre'd, and it did improve, but we determined it was due,to the fact, that night our area was almost empty..mediocre service continued thereafter.
In our cabin, service was poor. On the night we were to pack our bags, all the info, which should have been left on the bed, tags etc, was tossed on the desk.

The ship was indeed a ghostship at night. I tried to get hot chocolate at 9:30 at night,[windstar cafe] and the coffee bar was closed. my cruise pals also could not enjoy the piano bar after our early dinner, as that was closed as well. They reopened at 9:45

These were our only options after a show, if you did not want to gamble.

9:30 Karaoke
9:45 Music of the 70's
10:00 gold by the inch sold
10-11:00 Oldies rock & roll
11:15 country line dancing
12:00 party with dj Mike

We all had been used to many, more varied options on all our other ships.

No one should really be surprised by people, having other experiences, different from yours. Look how a music lover would have found the above list wonderful, we all found it boring. Different waiters, different service. doesn't mean it didn't happen that way.

I do think this was my last sailing on the HAL...for us, anyway, it was much less then we thought it would be.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 21st, 2005, 08:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: JUST SAY NO TO ZUIDERDAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baruss1
OUR GROUP OF 11 JUST BACK FROM 7 DAYS OF DISAPPOINTMENT. SHIPS FOOD WAS TERRIBLE. MOST OF THE TIME ROTTEN MILK AT BREAKFAST. WATCHED THE CREW RECYCLE MILK OTHERS LEFT ON TRAYS. LIDO FOOD SERVERS ACT AS IF THEY ARE SCARED TO GIVE YOU MORE THAN A SPOON FULL OF EGGS. ASKED FOR ONE MORE SCOOP OF ICECREAM AND GOT IT SLUNG AT ME. DONT EVEN THINK YOU ARE EATING PAST 8 PM IN LIDO,UNLESS YOU WANT PIZZA AND PASTA FOR 7 DAYS.SHIP WAS DIRTY. TOTAL GHOST TOWN AFTER 9 PM. CAMP HAL A JOKE. AND WE PAID WAY MORE THAN OTHER CRUISES. IF IT WERENT FOR THE BALCONY WE WOULD HAVE ALL JUMPED OVERBOARD. THEY NEED TO GET A LESSON IN CRUISING FROM RCCL. WE WILL NEVER STRAY AGAIN. BEEN ON 9 CRUISES AND ALL TYPES OF LINES AND WILL NEVER EVER GO HAL AGAIN. OUR CABIN STEWARD WAS THE ONLY POSITVE THING OTHER THAN THE PORTS WHERE WE COULD GET OFF THE "DAM" SHIP. 9O% OF GUESTS HAD THE SAME RESPONSE.[/b]
I would have believed this post if I hadn't read the part about the crew recycling milk from other pax trays. Sorry, I don't believe it. Unless you were only talking about the pax in your group, I doubt you even knew 90% of the other guests.
Old November 21st, 2005, 08:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleguy37
I'm glad to hear this as I'm going on my first cruise next year and have heard rumors that HAL doesn't know how to run large ships. I've read all the posts regarding the Westerdam and her sister ships and heard the good bad and the ugly. I have a feeling that as a first-timer I will be blown away by everything I experience on the ship regardless and my expectations will be nonexistant because I don't know what to expect. Keep postin the stories though-I enjoy reading them.
I've been on the Zui and I had a great time even though she was scheduled to go into dry dock after our cruise. I thought the food was good and I certainly never saw anyone recycling milk....I will say IMO that that is not true.

I've been on many many cruises on many many lines and HAL is at the top of my list. The ships are clean, the service excellent and the staff and crew great. My favorite ship of HAL's is the Volendam because I prefer a smaller ship and the Zui is being billed as a family ship.

Any day on a cruise even a bad one is better than the best day on land IMO.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 04:57 PM
Admiral

Barruss, I don't believe a word of your post. I've been on two HAL cruises, including one of 35 days, two Princess, one RCCL, and one Crystal. RCCL rates at the bottom of that list. Your story about recycling milk is preposterous, if not libelous; as is the one about being chintzy with the eggs. I have spent a total of 6 weeks on HAL ships and have never seen anything of the sort. Nor have I ever seen discourteous staff, or any of the other stuff you describe. As I say, I don't believe a word of your post. You obviously have a problem, but I wonder if spreading tales like this will solve it. If what you say were true, HAL would not only not be extremely popular with the cruising public, which they are, and constantly sold out, which they are, but they would be out of business.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old November 22nd, 2005, 05:44 PM
First Mate

Please stick to RCL wher you will be much happier and all of us on this post wish you well.For the record I am approachig 100 days on numerous Holland ships going back to the early 70,s and have never found anything near to your negative remarks.In most cases those who complain are those who do it all the time and nothing makes them happy.Will be going on Veendam in a couple of weeks and am looking foreward to the total excellent cruising experience that we have always enjoyed on Holland ships.Just completed a cruise on Voyager and very nice however will stick with Holland for most complete cruise services.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 10:55 AM
Passenger

we are going on zuiderdam on 21 jan 2996 an i prefer to go with the positive views,hope im right as i come from london ,anyone else going on this cruise?
Old November 23rd, 2005, 07:46 PM
Passenger

Default See you in Jan. Sandy

Sandy,

I think we'll both be listening to some jazz and enjoying the Zuiderdam starting Jan. 21. I've read this gentleman's review and I'm sure from his perspective it all happened and he'll never travel on this ship again, but I've also read several reviews of this ship since his cruise that were very positive. I'm sure that after the ships SOE upgrades in Dec. that the ship and its crew will be first class.

I don't know about you but we plan to eat, drink, be merry, enjoy the ship and a whole lot of smooth jazz.

We'll see you onboard. Keep in touch.

Azure Seas 1982
Celebration 2004
Pride 2005
Zuiderdam Smooth Jazz Cruise 2006
Valor 7/16/06

Zuiderdam Smooth Jazz Cruise 1/20/07

Carnival Conquest 6/10/07
Old November 23rd, 2005, 11:33 PM
First Mate

I find Baruss1's post difficult to understand (and difficult to read!) - he/she shouts ( uses capital letters).

Amazing that none of the many cruise message boards have been flooded with complaints

That HAL is recycling milk - aw come on! maybe? The Stewards certainly have nothing to gain.

Scheduled to eat dinner at 8.30pm in the dining room - why would you be interested in ordering food at 8.05 pm in the Lido??????

Only one scoop of ice cream? - perhaps you'd once too often requested 1/2 ltr. and drowned it in 'sauce'!
Old November 24th, 2005, 04:23 AM
Passenger

i cant believe i pressed all the wrong buttons! we are going on the zuiderdam 28th jan 2006[but going to the states 21 jan] i have a friend on there right now and will keep you posted when she returns i am sure it will be great
Old November 26th, 2005, 12:20 AM
First Mate

Hello!!!!!!! - Baruss1 are you out there?????Somewhere
Old November 28th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Beginner

I find it almost laughable the incidents that are alleged. We were on the Z last March,and although we were disappointed that the beds were not the same as the Oosterdam, we are assured that the new outfitting will be complete by Dec 22. As a result, we just booked for the Jan 14 cruise. It should be like a brand new ship.. Hopefully, Honky Dory will be back. We have cruised many times, and it is helpl like Honey Dory that add so much character to the cruise. HAL is great. The shows are much better than Celebrity, ,and the staff has always filled our requests.